What's new

Looking for a good Latakia

I usually smoke Dunhill 965 or EMP, I occasionally will send away for C+D Pirate Kake. Frog Morton is too sweet and lite for me but on the other hand I once tried Dunhill Nightcap and it almost killed me, the high nicotine content put me on the floor. So guess I'm looking for a middle strength Latakia blend that is relatively low in nicotine, any suggestions? Thanks.

I have Dunhill EMP and 965 and like them both. It's hard to find but how about Balkan Sobranie? I think the white can is the original but there used to be a black label that was a little smoother to my taste. www.smokingpipes.com still sells some but it sells out almost immediately. I'm with you about Dunhill Night Cap, man, that stuff is stout!

I had a bad experience with Perique as well (I know I sound high maintenance). Balkan Sobranie was one of my favorites but I have yet to see any since they decided to stop exporting to the US.

Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader or Skiff mixture. Cornell and Diehl Star of the East is a nice Latakia and oriental tasty mixture. GL Pease Odyssey or McClelland 5110 might be some good blends to check out.

OC_in_FW is a poster who loves Latakia. You should wait for his advice as well

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You can't go wrong with Squadron Leader. I never buy less than 8 oz at a time. It is a good, all day smoke. If you want a bit more Latakia punch, Lancer's Slices is really starting to grow on me. 3 Oaks Syrian is a bit more subtle, and uses Syrian Latakia instead of the stuff from Cyprus. It took 3 bowls before I started appreciating the difference. It is really good, and pretty easy to find. If you want something with some Oriental in the mix, Penzance is excellent, though very hard to get. I need to find a good second Lat/Oriental blend to supplement my Penzance. If you want real Latakia bombs, I am sure Blade Boy can help there. I would be interested in his input- he has way more experience than I.

+1 for Squadron Leader

If you don't want sweet stuff, I'd suggest you go with G.L. Pease blends. I'd start with Gas Light and go from there.

Ashton's Artisan Blend is one of my favourites, but it may be too much nicotine if you had a bad time with the Nightcap. Greg Pease has some good lat blends and he tends to vary his mixtures with different amounts too, so you might find a comfort zone there somewhere. Westminster's always a good place to start and it makes a great refence point for other blends as well. Gawith's Balkan flake is another good'un, albeit with less latakia than a lot of other blends. Just a great Va/Lat blend there really, very natural flavours and the lat is mild.

Squadron leader. There are many others, but it's famous and easy and available. I like the Frogs, gaslight is great but heavy. Skiff mixture is more peppery but a solid cousin of squadron leader. My fave would be three oaks Syrian at the moment. There are SO many good tobaccos. :) just keep buying them all!!!!

Don't listen to those guys. 3 Oaks Syrian is awful. :laugh:

Frog Morton (original, not Frog Morton Cellar or On The Town or whatever, I haven't tried those) is a common, reasonably available, nice dose of latakia.

Considering that I know there's some fans of it here in this thread, I'm amazed that Boswell Northwoods hasn't been mentioned.

The only very latakia-forward blend I've found in a B&M is Peter Stokkebye Proper English. It's decent.

In another thread, it is said that Sterling Patriot's Blend is full of latakia goodness. You can get samples from Sterling for very little money.

A couple of my favorites are H&H Larry's Blend, H&H Magnum Opus

There are others, but they may fall in the too sweet category.

He said he doesn't like sweetness, so I didn't think he'd like 3OS. I'm guessing that he won't like a good amount of McClelland blends because of their sweet sweet VAs.

Top Bottom