What's new

Changing preferences

I haven't been at this for very long compared to many of you, but have noticed over time my preferences have changed somewhat. My first FP was a Preppy I got off the BST. Nice pen, though not particularly attractive. I've also had a Pelikano Jr., Pilot Varsity, Pilot Plumix, Ahab, Parker 21, Bic Disposable, No Nonsense, Esterbrook SJ, Wearever Pennant, and a no-name school pen. Originally I found I liked fat-bottomed pens because most of my writing is done with Super Sharpies and I have carpal tunnel issues. Pens with big sections were the only thing that were comfortable and most of the pens that I have used along the way just didn't feel right. The longer I have been at this though, I am finding that I can use the smaller, thinner pens that before were completely unbearable. I am trying to limit myself to only a few pens to simplify my life and still prefer the No Nonsense but I do find myself reaching for the Wearever and the Esterbrook more than I ever imagined. The one consistent thing though seems to be that I like a stubish/cursive italic/medium to broad nib. The Esterbrook I am using has an extra-fine 9550 nib that feels like trying to write with a pin so it is mostly designated for crosswords and sudoku puzzles. Who knows, maybe someday I will have a different pen for everyday of the week like some of you.

Anyone else find that their preferences changed over time?

mine sure did... they also got more expensive as what i wanted in a nib changed. as ypu grow you figure out what you like as experience and skill grows with you
its the same with shaving and many other hobbies

Still changing, no doubt. Instead of narrowing in on a few preferences and saying that I've got to sell or give away the excess, I've found more stuff that I like.

At one point I was using almost nothing but Noodler's inks. Now I mostly use other brands.

At first, I thought that I would want nothing but extra fine nibs. Now I've come to appreciate medium and broad. Italics come in handy for the occasional special project, but are not daily users. I like the flex in some of my vintage nibs, but don't have any real wet noodles, nor the skill to use them to the best advantage. After achieving legibility, I'm not really interested in pursuing fine penmanship, except to admire it in others.

I used to think of what new pen I would try next. Now it's what vintage pen I'll find. Still, my most reliable daily writer is a current production pen, Pilot Vanishing Point.

Like many people, the highest price I'll pay for a pen has gone up beyond what I once would have thought possible. Each increase has been connected to the expectation that I'd get a better writing experience, not just a prettier pen. I may have reached the point of diminishing returns for that. Right now I'm more interested in seeing how little I can pay for the best or most interesting vintage pens.

I don't care about simplifying, really. I suppose I have "too many pens" in the sense that with so many, some excellent writing instruments go unused for a long time while I concentrate on others. That might bother some, but I'm fine with it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
After trying a few different nibs I find myself in love with stubs. I do have a medium Parker 51 that I like as is, but I've stubified everything else in sight.

I just gave my son my Sailor with the fine nib - he can't get them fine enough and it turns out I have absolutely no love for a fine nib. It was sitting dry in my case, so I'm happy it is getting some happy use - and he seems pretty happy as well.

Top Bottom