What's new

Outdoor bug repellent

By all accounts, the ticks and chiggers in the Eastern US are already terrible this year. I just doused an outfit and a pair of boots in Sawyer spray-on Permethrin, which seems to have a good reputation. But I paid nine bucks for a can of this stuff at a local outdoors megamart, which seems pricy to me. Especially considering one can does only two clothing applications.

If anyone has any good suggestions for an effective and reasonable bug repellent for the outdoors, I'd appreciate it. I've heard that DEET products (Deep Woods OFF! etc.) are not as effective as they used to be, but do not know if that is true or not.

I don't know if you guys can get it but Bushman 80% DEET is the ducks guts. I've used it extensively, especially in malaria prone areas (PNG, etc.) and it works really well. It stinks like noones business, but it offers flawless performance. I'm usually the guy that ever mosquito lands on any time I go outdoors in warmer weather (my wife calls me her personal insect repellent) but it keeps everything at bay.

I have used Pyrethrin to varying degrees of success, but I prefer to use it as an area repellent rather than a personal one.

One thing I should mention, you need to be careful with some plastics and synthetic materials using products with high percentages of DEET, it can do nasty stuff to the finish.

I don't wear repellent if I can help it but I like the Watkins cream. It can be pricey, but I think its the best one around. Unless you can get your hands on an old bottle of Muskol, which has around 90 per cent DEET, I think. From what I gather, deet is not that harmful to us physically so much as it can be a problem for the "environment". I would guess that the effectiveness of todays repellent is due to lower deet in the product and adaptations towards repellent in the creatures its trying to repel. Of course the best thing would be no repellent if you can stand it. Like I said I hardly wear it anymore and after some time the skeeters don't even bite me. Maybe something I was born with.

I almost forgot, Bushman's is available either in an aerosol spray-on or a tube. I prefer the tube version as you can spread things with a bit more control.

They do also produce a version with sunscreen as well, but I think thats only the 20% DEET variety. Its a pretty good consideration for us given how toasted we get over summer.

Maybe something I was born with.

By all accounts blood type is very closely linked to your "attractiveness" to certain insects, especially mosquitoes.

I believe colour of your clothing can also be a factor; not to mention wearing tight clothing.

I go to my local farm supply store and buy Permethrin for horses and dilute it in water and spray it on my pack clothes. Just let 'em dry overnight, and I'm good to go. We camp deep in tick country and that stuff is like krytonite to the little buggers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
By all accounts blood type is very closely linked to your "attractiveness" to certain insects, especially mosquitoes.

I believe colour of your clothing can also be a factor; not to mention wearing tight clothing.
I am a native Buckeye, and in Ohio mosquitos tore me up. I have been in Texas since 92 and have had 3 mosquito bites. Yes, I remember the number, because it was so odd that I got one.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't want to sound like that guy but I don't generally have problems with bugs and mosquitoes. I've gone to my buddies lake cottage in Michigan several summers and go camping in the woods with friends every October in Michigan.
Never had an issue. We always had a fire going so that could be it. But even when fishing or hiking I don't get bugged by bugs.

I have always heard deet products were the best.

Bushmans all the way. Our flies and mozzies down here need superior chemical control and in 20 years of hiking I've carried nothing else.

$Repellent 001.jpg

This is by far the best repellent that I have ever used. After over 50+ years in the outdoors hunting, fishing, camping this is the one for me. Very effective. Smells great, and an added plus because of the eucalyptus this has a cooling effect on my skin on a hot Summer day or evening. Give it a try.

the scientific world is actually still no sure what exactly attracts mosquito's.
But DEET products are your best bet.

Dries

I don't know if you guys can get it but Bushman 80% DEET is the ducks guts. I've used it extensively, especially in malaria prone areas (PNG, etc.) and it works really well. It stinks like noones business, but it offers flawless performance. I'm usually the guy that ever mosquito lands on any time I go outdoors in warmer weather (my wife calls me her personal insect repellent) but it keeps everything at bay.

I have used Pyrethrin to varying degrees of success, but I prefer to use it as an area repellent rather than a personal one.

One thing I should mention, you need to be careful with some plastics and synthetic materials using products with high percentages of DEET, it can do nasty stuff to the finish.

+1 for bush mans. Everything said about it is true.

When I lived in Alaska I would use Cutter's and would not get bit by mosquito's. I have not had to apply bug spray in Arizona.

I saw this stuff on Dragon's Den (It's the Canadian version of Shark Tank) Mozi-Q, It's supposed to be a pill that you eat and it hides your scent(I guess). Has anybody heard of it? Or used it?
http://www.mozi-q.com/

I use several, but found an all natural one that works. Its local for me, but the website is www.balmzara.com. it is called bug away. It looks like deoderant, but you rub it in. I walked through major mosquito infestation and didn't get bit once. YMMV though.

I'm sure this comment might get dismissed rather quickly but I've HEARD that if you just tie an ordinary fabric sheeting (you know those little sheets your throw in the dryer with your clothes) will repel mosquitoes. Never hurts to try, even thought you might look like an idiot with one of those hanging off your shirt...