What's new

The Aristocrat and The Colonel

Congrats on that exceptional set!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I really enjoyed the shave with it today.

Superb razor! I am enjoying shaving with my newly acquired Rocket HD. And my next purchase will be definitely British Aristocrat.

I have a Rocket HD also. I think as far as aggressiveness they are similar but the 16 was just a bit smoother with now drag at all.

For me the difference between a flat bottom plate Aristocrat versus one with a diamond plate has more to do with the weight distribution and the placing of the balance point on the handle.

The flat bottom plate ones are my favorites!

Enjoy your Aristo but beware, the interest in these is costly but sweet...:001_smile

Not sure how it affects the shave. You can see the difference between the heads of a President, #22 and the #16. The #16 is also about 9 grams heavier than the #22 and 17 grams heavier than the President.

I've shaved with the 16 and 22 back-to-back and the extra weight in the head of the 16, to me, meant that it gave a more aggressive shave. Not a massive ammount, but this was enough for me to favour the "milder" 22. Both excellent and stunning razors, yours Rob is a fantastic specimen. Enjoy buddy!

For me the difference between a flat bottom plate Aristocrat versus one with a diamond plate has more to do with the weight distribution and the placing of the balance point on the handle.

The flat bottom plate ones are my favorites!

Enjoy your Aristo but beware, the interest in these is costly but sweet...:001_smile

Yes, I like the shave a little better from the flat bottom plates. I like the look of the flat bottom plates a more. Yes they can get expensive. I got lucky with the 16 and was happy with the price. Just need a nice 15 now.

I've shaved with the 16 and 22 back-to-back and the extra weight in the head of the 16, to me, meant that it gave a more aggressive shave. Not a massive ammount, but this was enough for me to favour the "milder" 22. Both excellent and stunning razors, yours Rob is a fantastic specimen. Enjoy buddy!

I think I would agree with that about the weight. I like the slightly more aggressive shave of the 16 for me however.

Rob

Superb razor! I am enjoying shaving with my newly acquired Rocket HD. And my next purchase will be definitely British Aristocrat.

Ha, this seems to be the standard progression. I had Rocket HD's before I acquired my British Aristocrats too. The itch is too strong to resist!!

Ben

Just need a nice 15 now.

Yes - you do. It's lighter than the likewise flat bottom plated #16 but the older head geometry and the balance point make it a different animal altogether!

Would you mind measuring you Colonel for me? I have a different Colonel and would like to know how much more weight the contemporary model has. My Somerset era 24 mm Colonel is 78 g and has a 59 mm tall handle. I have been wondering if there is a big difference, mine feels heavy compared to the memory of a contemporary Colonel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - you do. It's lighter than the likewise flat bottom plated #16 but the older head geometry and the balance point make it a different animal altogether!

Would you mind measuring you Colonel for me? I have a different Colonel and would like to know how much more weight the contemporary model has. My Somerset era 24 mm Colonel is 78 g and has a 59 mm tall handle. I have been wondering if there is a big difference, mine feels heavy compared to the memory of a contemporary Colonel.

Very nice butterscotch. My Colonel is the Manchurian Badger LE and has a 21.5mm knot, 47mm loft, 54mm handle and is 60gm. I just received a user grade #20 and shaved with it yesterday. It was a great shave. Thinking about sending it to Restored Razor for a new plating of Rhodium.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice butterscotch. My Colonel is the Manchurian Badger LE and has a 21.5mm knot, 47mm loft, 54mm handle and is 60gm. I just received a user grade #20 and shaved with it yesterday. It was a great shave. Thinking about sending it to Restored Razor for a new plating of Rhodium.

Robert
Thanks for the measurement, it confirms my memory of the Colonel from some years!

Regarding the replating I would advise you to let Dave handle it, just as you have planned. He is a top guy in replating more demanding objects!

Top Bottom