What's new

linen paddle strop?

Any such thing ever been made and used succesfully? I've tried 2" cotton belting and 2.5" hemp twill glued directly to the paddle and it "just hits the high spots" of the weave. On the hemp I sanded it down and that seemed to improve the contact area, but still no "give" or "draw" like a leather paddle. Rather than go to all the effort to re-invent the wheel using tensioners or cushions, it seems it would just be easier to make a hanging strop.
Thoughts, experiences, advice?

ETA: the reason I ask is that I really like the idea of having less chance of "rolling the edge" if my arm gets weak or tired and I let the strop get slack. (read that as "use bad technique" LOL)

Last edited:
Any such thing ever been made and used succesfully? I've tried 2" cotton belting and 2.5" hemp twill glued directly to the paddle and it "just hits the high spots" of the weave. On the hemp I sanded it down and that seemed to improve the contact area, but still no "give" or "draw" like a leather paddle. Rather than go to all the effort to re-invent the wheel using tensioners or cushions, it seems it would just be easier to make a hanging strop.
Thoughts, experiences, advice?

ETA: the reason I ask is that I really like the idea of having less chance of "rolling the edge" if my arm gets weak or tired and I let the strop get slack. (read that as "use bad technique" LOL)

I was going to say edge rolling is a myth, but maybe that is a good topic for discussion.

I would suggest you try a hanging strop (I assume this is for diamond abrasive) and tell us how it works for you.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Hard wool felt is about the only cloth I have seen that works well on a paddle strop. It sort of has a built in cushioning as well as not have a weave so the razor makes full contact al the time as there are no high spots to hit.

Tony

I was going to say edge rolling is a myth, but maybe that is a good topic for discussion.

I would suggest you try a hanging strop (I assume this is for diamond abrasive) and tell us how it works for you.

That (hanging strop) is my next step. The diamond is working well on the balsa, so I was kinda looking to use the hemp linen before the leather.

Hard wool felt is about the only cloth I have seen that works well on a paddle strop. It sort of has a built in cushioning as well as not have a weave so the razor makes full contact al the time as there are no high spots to hit.

Tony
Thanks for the info. (not trying to beat you out of a sale, I'm just one 'o them cheap arsed do-it-yourself types, you know, the kind that will spend more in the long run to be able to say "I saved by doing it myself!" I've been accused of being "cheaper than a Scottish farmer with all the generosity beaten out of him"... LOL)

That (hanging strop) is my next step. The diamond is working well on the balsa, so I was kinda looking to use the hemp linen before the leather.
If its real hemp canvas, I would not paste it unless I had a good source for more. I would find some cotton webbing and paste that. I find many cotton belts in thrift shops for a dollar or less.

A linen loom strop would be awesome!

I was thinking about the "no sewing" strop idea.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/397186-DIY-Linen-Strop-No-stitching-required-!

Make a paddle then mount two blocks of wood to it, one at each end. Then sandwich the hemp webbing between one of the blocks and a top block, stretch it tight and screw down the top block on the other end. If the webbing stretches and gets loose, just loosen one block, pull webbing tight and screw it back down.

Could you not put a layer of foam padding under the linen and fasten the linen only at its ends?

Mickey

Maybe felt? Might last longer than foam? Same as above, but just paddle, felt, webbing then top blocks to hold it all. Aluminum plates might have lower profile than wood blocks.

Thanks for the link. Have you tried that webbing? It looks good.

EDIT; I just saw your pictures of the hemp twill strop in the other thread. Your triangular D rings look just like mine.
It seems to work, time will tell.
I don't know where you got your rings, but if they look "just" like mine you should get your money back. LOL
These look like death chewing lifesavers, but they will work. (where did you get yours? I kinda would like to get some nice ones for the leather strop)

It seems to work, time will tell.
I don't know where you got your rings, but if they look "just" like mine you should get your money back. LOL
These look like death chewing lifesavers, but they will work. (where did you get yours? I kinda would like to get some nice ones for the leather strop)
Mine are homemade from pieces of brazing rod, so I can't get my money back. I'm not that picky I guess.

Mine are homemade from pieces of brazing rod, so I can't get my money back. I'm not that picky I guess.

Mine are homemade from 3/32 round "steel" from loweschinadepot. May try to get some brass for the ones for the leather if I can't find some nice ones.

Top Bottom