• I have a system that works for me

• I'm thinking of trying a system out

• I haven't really thought about it/no interest

• I tried one or more systems with minor or no success

• I'm not interested/I think it's a myth

Results are only viewable after voting.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
When it starts to tug, I pitch it. K.I.S.S. principle. I have noticed that SE and SE injector blades last much longer than DE blades. It just keeps you from running out of blades sooner, that's all. I sometimes keep track of how many pre-tug shaves I get with a new (to me) brand of blade out of curiousity. After I know, I'm not concerned.

I would believe the myth if it concern vintage 3 holes Gillette blades as they were very thick. However I do not see the point of extending the life of a modern blade, they are so inexpensive.

So current status?
He needs 30 more for 250 male versions.
He needs 64 of 100 female.
He needs 65 of 100 220v
He's got another 24 pledges for the special editions.

Indicates 35 days left, but it looks like the original launch plans were for 4/30.
He's about 50% to the goal.

Honestly, for what it is, the kickstarter price is way high.
I'm sure it will retail for $17 given typical small-run production methods, but comparable items (plug-in air fresheners) sell for under $5.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by coyotewhisper I change blades every 3 or 4 days. The cost per blade is so small I do not see any reason to extend the life.

Agreed. I don't see a good reason to try to extend the blade life given the cost versus the inconvenience of a method to extend blade life.

If there was a low cost, extremely convenient way to extend blade life, then I'd be interested.

EDIT: Better yet, do a one month trial with half the shave on a "razor life extending system" and half the shave on a razor receiving no special treatment and let's see if there is any real difference after a month.

This is a great idea. YOU FIRST.

Agreed. I don't see a good reason to try to extend the blade life given the cost versus the inconvenience of a method to extend blade life.

If there was a low cost, extremely convenient way to extend blade life, then I'd be interested.

That's what the OP was all about.
It's a Kickstarter campaign for a "pod" that contains silica beads.
Stick the razor in after use and the thing keeps it in a dry environment.
When the beads change color, plug it into the wall and the heater dries the beads in 8 hours.

At $17, it is overpriced for what it is (a plastic container with silica beads, and a resistive 120v heater to dry them).
It is designed for carts though, and when a pack of Fusion carts is $40+ for 16 at Costco, ya... that can pay for itself IF it actually works.

But for DE blades that cost $12 for a box of 100?

Meh.

My thinking is this: if there was a system that definitely worked--we would all know about it and be using it!

Last edited:
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but this to me is a solution to a non-existent problem. Yes, blades do corrode and go dull, but they are disposable and ENGINEERED and BUILT to be that way. I feel you can only go so far because the blades will dull due to the mechanical shearing action of shaving.
A year on one cartridge? I doubt it, the friction on the plastic head, corrosion from water impurities, soap, etc, will degrade the plastic too.
There's a reason Gillette is selling these heads as opposed to concentrating on DE blades and razors, and that reason is higher profit margin.

I exactly believe in the same thing,,I personally don't think you extend the life of your blade as they were engineered to rust and dull quickly,,,actually I found if I dry the blade after each use,,it dulls so much quicker from undrying it,,this is how they are built so they can make more money.

Are you thinking about trying a system, or are you not interested?
I tried a new system--Shaving with a straight. I can get one blade to last a minimum of 20 years. :laugh:

But to be more serious, I don't believe any of the so called systems for DEs work, especially corking (remember corking?) and stropping. The angle that most people strop their DE blades would dull a straight.

Sure I have a system that works for me: I toss a blade only when I feel it's done. It works a treat, I think I'll start a crowdfunding on this system. :biggrin1:

My "system" lets me get a maximum number of shaves of every individual blade, regardless of brand and/or blade mistreatment.
But also I'll grab immediately a different razor during a shave when the time has come, so sometimes this system "shortens" blade life. I never aim for a certain number of shaves.

I recently saw a new system that promises
Somebody can tell me the difference between these please? :devil:

$whatsthedifference.jpg

30 shaves, interesting.

It's possible.

Some people are happy with a single WTG pass, and it works for some beards.
My hair is curly, so tends to grow at lower angles, and shaving with an electric, or WTG even with a straight leaves me with the equivalent of 36 hours growth... socially acceptable, but not a "good" shave by any margin.

So before I switched to straights, I used the Fusion on face and head.
3 full passes plus buffing. I'd change my blade every Sunday night whether I needed to or not. I got to that point because sometimes I could get another 3 or 4 days out of the blade, other weeks after 1 or 2 more I was getting nicks and irritation.

Eliminating head and only shaving the face, single pass... I can see 30+ out of a Fusion.

Mach-3 causes irritation out of the box for me.

Top Bottom