What's new

Best pen for spinning around your thumb

I was that guy at work today.

Edison Menlo, spins no problem.
Levenger L-Tech stylus. Nope, and being metal makes a hell of a clatter when I drop it on the desk--over and over.

Can't roll a pen through my fingers though. Never could.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned not to fidget with my fountain pens... Too much ink ends up in the cap. :)

The random rollerball or refillable Sharpie on the other hand works fine to walk through the fingers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Somebody elses pen :biggrin: Seriously, I wouldn't twirl a fountain pen. I keep ballpoints in my desk for that purpose, and for when someone needs a pen.

I broke myself of fiddling with my pens early on. Whenever I was taking notes or writing anything, anytime I'd pause my writing, I'd flick the tip of the pen back and forth quickly. When I made the switch to fountain pens, that habit was a messy one to break, lol. I have several fountain pens that if I capped them and spun them, ink would splatter inside the cap...so not something I'd do, but YMMV. I've never been able to spin a pin around my thumb though, so no worries :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Out of the pens that I currently own the only one that I can't spin through my fingers is a Kaweco Sport.

A Franklin-Christoph Model 02 feels slightly awkward because of the tapering of the body, but still manageable for me.

Somebody elses pen :biggrin:

Just as long as it's not mine. :taz:

Even if I had more confidence in my dexterity, I think I'd leave the writing instrument acrobatics to free Bics handed out by businesses and perhaps the occasional wooden pencil. Or did I just take the OP too seriously? :biggrin1:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Most of the pens that I tried with were not inked up. The ones that were, I just twirled slow and smoothly. No leakage or ink in the caps.

Maybe I am not fun? I never spin my fountain pens not even an el cheapo one because I fear it would be habit forming and someday I would subconsciously spin an expensive FP and it will land onto the floor all scuffed up or something like that.

I broke myself of fiddling with my pens early on. Whenever I was taking notes or writing anything, anytime I'd pause my writing, I'd flick the tip of the pen back and forth quickly. When I made the switch to fountain pens, that habit was a messy one to break, lol. I have several fountain pens that if I capped them and spun them, ink would splatter inside the cap...so not something I'd do, but YMMV. I've never been able to spin a pin around my thumb though, so no worries :)

this soooo much.
had a noodlers Konrad with Elysium blue and that stuff knows how to flow. went running with it upside down, the cap was brimming with ink, it went everywhere. also had a guy shake it once when it had a hard start. ink on the table, and the bros who were seated at it, that one almost got fountain pens banned from that class.

No spinning of pens here. I never did ballpoints either. But have been using either nice bp, rb or fp and mp since the 1970's.

Even as a kid I didn't much care for pens like Bic crystals and paper nate pens. To thin.

Last edited:
when i attempt to spin or twirl anything, it usually ends up stuck in the ceiling, on the floor, or some other random direction.

$how-to-use3.JPG :lol::lol:

Top Bottom