What's new

Pens you want to try out

Are there any pens that you see that you want to just try out and why?

For me I'd have to go with four at the moment: a Lamy 2000, an Edison Premiere Nouveau, a Pelikan M600, and a Montblanc 146. The Edison would be for when I want to buy one; the Lamy 2000 would be in the same boat. I've owned a Pelikan M200 and M805 and I currently have a M400. As for the MB it would be just for the historical factor.

If you want to note specific nibs, that's cool as well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A Parker51 with a factory italic nib, a Vacumatic, and a vintage Pelikan. The vintage bug has hit me since I got my Parker51 Vac. I love the hand feel of the 51, and I love the look of the cap and clip on some of those vintage Pelis. Of the modern pens, so far only an M600 and a Lamy 2000 are speaking to me, although the Bexley Poseiden Magnum II that Andrew posted is starting to whisper.

on edit: I absolutely love the look of the Vacumatics. As to modern nibs, I would go medium- although I might go fine on the 2000, as I think I heard they run a bit wide.

Last edited:
I would like to try out a Parker 51, a Parker 1940's Vacumatic, a Snorkle and a Parker Duofold - I have been eyeing some restored models for sale on the buy-it-now on Ebay

A Parker51 with a factory italic nib, a Vacumatic, and a vintage Pelikan. The vintage bug has hit me since I got my Parker51 Vac. I love the hand feel of the 51, and I love the look of the cap and clip on some of those vintage Pelis. Of the modern pens, so far only an M600 and a Lamy 2000 are speaking to me, although the Bexley Poseiden Magnum II that Andrew posted is starting to whisper.

on edit: I absolutely love the look of the Vacumatics. As to modern nibs, I would go medium- although I might go fine on the 2000, as I think I heard they run a bit wide.

I have a couple of Vacs coming to me in the mail, hopefully next week. I'm actually very excited to get them, even if one will need to be sent out for repair. And I did see someone trying to sell a Lamy 2K with a BB (possibly stub) that looked quite inviting; I'm on a bit of a stub kick at the moment.

I'm also looking for a Pelikan 400NN in brown tortoise as well. I think once I get that, I'm done with pens. (Yeah, right.)

I really can't think of any

M1000 with a 3B nib? MB 149? TWSBI Vac Mini? (Kidding about the last one.)

The new Skyline.
http://www.wahleversharp.com/index.php

My vintage Skyline has great ergos, behaved flow, and a wonderfully flexy nib. The new Skyline is supposed to be a semi-flex along the lines of a Namiki Falcon. Would love to try it out.

And come to think of it, I'd live to try out a Mottishawed Namiki Falcon.

I used fountain pens in schools in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Tried again in the early 1990's when I received a Cross FP.

I have always enjoyed vintage items, and have picked up an Esterbrook SJ, and am getting an older Sheaffer working again.

I would like to try out the following, to experience the different filling system, and how they write:
A Parker 51,
A Parker Vacumatic,
A Parker Duofold
A Sheaffer Snorkel and an
Esterbrook J

I have some antique malls not too far away, but as I am relatively new I am still a little hesitant. I think I will do more research, and see what the price is, keeping in mind that a restore may cost around $40 - $50.

And of course there is a Pen Show in November

My list is too long to try to type out as I am new to fountain pens. So pretty much anything besides a platinum plasir and lamy safari. The next on my list will most likely be a kaweco or a pilot.

My list is too long to try to type out as I am new to fountain pens. So pretty much anything besides a platinum plasir and lamy safari. The next on my list will most likely be a kaweco or a pilot.

This would be an interesting follow-up question: what pens would you recommend people try out (first)?

I don't think you would go wrong acquiring a Pilot Metropolitan next... in fact, plan on trying or acquiring it. :biggrin1:

(oops - I forgot that you mentioned a Lamy. Response corrected.)

Last edited:
I'd love to try any pen I'm considering buying.
I'm saving for the Pilot VP, so I'll say I'd like to try that. I like the concept and pictures, but it would be cool to try one out - does the clip bug the hell out of me? Do I want a F or M nib?

I'd also like to try a swan Leverless and so many vintage Conway Stewarts - I saw a beautiful 85L that I desperately wanted to hold.

There are two that I am considering purchasing based on reviews but have never had a chance to actually try..

1) Sailor 1911
2) Pilot 78G

I'd like to try a pilot vp and a custom 92. I want to treat myself after my exams next month and not sure which way to go

Anyone who wants a VP should really try one out before buying. The clip placement seems to get the most attention with those pens.

Top Bottom