What's new

When should a shave feel real close?

Greetings from LA (Lower Alabama, that is)!
I've been reading quite a few posts on many threads on this great web site, and would like to say I've learned a lot about wet shaving. I've been inspired to make my own scuttle out of a double walled stainless steel bowl, which I plan on finishing this weekend, and eventually plan on making my own shaving soap. The community here seems fantastic!

I do have a couple of questions. Should my shave feel real close while I'm still shaving, or after the 3rd pass and I rinse off my face and apply shaving lotion? Mine feels close after shaving, not during. Anyone know what spices or the recipe for the original "Old Spice"?
Thanks for a great site!

Tony

You won't feel completely smooth until after you're done depending on which way you rub your hand. I generally do a couple of bulk reduction passes and a touch up pass. Welcome to B&B. I'm from L.A. as well. I grew up in Grand Bay, AL.

I think you get sage in the first whiff of OS. I like this aftershave but it's off limits to me as my father in-law uses it and nothing else.

Make your final pass. Run your finger just ahead of the razor blade. You will be able to feel the areas that are not BBS. It really helps to map your beard when your trying for the three pass BBS. If all feels good, rinse in cold water, complete your Post Shave routine, alum block, witch hazel, aftershave, Nivea aftershave balm.

Everyone has their own routine. When your face is dry take your finger or a cotton ball and rub your face. You will be able to find areas that aren't quite BBS. Achieving a BBS is difficult because many shavers can't go against the grain.

Thanks. I think I met you at the Veterans thread. You lived around Jim McNeil Loop or RD? I feel real smooth if I rub with the grain and fairly smooth against the grain. I remember getting a shave from a barber in Korea that was so close my whiskers were afraid to come out for 3 days! LOL!
I thought I signed up at the Veterans thread but the "Veteran" tag doesn't show up under my name. Hmm.

Thanks. I think I met you at the Veterans thread. You lived around Jim McNeil Loop or RD? I feel real smooth if I rub with the grain and fairly smooth against the grain. I remember getting a shave from a barber in Korea that was so close my whiskers were afraid to come out for 3 days! LOL!
I thought I signed up at the Veterans thread but the "Veteran" tag doesn't show up under my name. Hmm.

Ah yeah that's right. My memory is going I guess. It took my tag a few days to show up.

Make your final pass. Run your finger just ahead of the razor blade. You will be able to feel the areas that are not BBS. It really helps to map your beard when your trying for the three pass BBS. If all feels good, rinse in cold water, complete your Post Shave routine, alum block, witch hazel, aftershave, Nivea aftershave balm.

Everyone has their own routine. When your face is dry take your finger or a cotton ball and rub your face. You will be able to find areas that aren't quite BBS. Achieving a BBS is difficult because many shavers can't go against the grain.

Never thought about using any thing but aftershave. I'll have to try the other stuff tomorrow, at least the witch hazel. I have some of that.

Greetings from LA (Lower Alabama, that is)!
I've been reading quite a few posts on many threads on this great web site, and would like to say I've learned a lot about wet shaving. I've been inspired to make my own scuttle out of a double walled stainless steel bowl, which I plan on finishing this weekend, and eventually plan on making my own shaving soap. The community here seems fantastic!

I do have a couple of questions. Should my shave feel real close while I'm still shaving, or after the 3rd pass and I rinse off my face and apply shaving lotion? Mine feels close after shaving, not during. Anyone know what spices or the recipe for the original "Old Spice"?
Thanks for a great site!

Tony
Thank you for your military service, i see you were a very successful military man with many advancements. You received great advise, much of what i would have recommended, let us know what route you take.

I am also from L.A. Grew up in Mobile then left to join the Corps and only come back on leave when I can afford to get a family of four across the country.

I'm generally feeling BBS by the time I'm done with my last pass/buffing, but it is noticeably softer and smoother an hour or so later after my skin has dried.

+1 Only thing I can add is run you hand over the face surface with water or some left over cream and feel for stubble and go over those parts lightly. Don't apply pressure let the razor do the work and the results will be just fine BBS.

+1 on this. I have no idea of the formula for Old Spice.

+1 Only thing I can add is run you hand over the face surface with water or some left over cream and feel for stubble and go over those parts lightly. Don't apply pressure let the razor do the work and the results will be just fine BBS.

Your shave will feel closer after your skin and your whiskers dry. The after shave product you apply can influence the feeling of closeness as well.

Top Bottom