What's new

Saint Charles just got a new disciple

Brevity has never been one of my strong suits so here goes.

I'm pretty new in the software department so I wanted to try something other than my TOBS Sandalwood.
I heard a lot of good about Saint Charles Shaving soaps so I thought I should start there.
My first order got cancelled because they apparently don't ship outside of CONUS anymore.
Eventually they took pity on me and accepted my order for a Woods shave soap.
When the package arrived I saw that the had included a few samples as well.

Yay!

I got three samples: Sandalwood, Pumpkin and Pipe Tobacco

Anxious to try them out I did my first run in the Woods yesterday.

The scent:
The scent reminded me of a fresh, fruity chewing gum, kinda like the original, blue, Hubba Bubba.
I haven't decided if I like the scent or not but it's definitely different.
It's a pleasant scent but I can't decide if it's really me.

The lather:
It came in an aluminum canister where the puck sort of rattled around in it because it didn't fit the dimensions properly.
The result was that I had a hard time loading the brush which resulted in very thin, watery lather.
Although it was thin, it still provided enough slick that my shave didn't suffer too much from it so it didn't discourage me from trying again.

Today, I squashed the puck so that it filled up the canister and thereby giving me more surface area for the brush.
I did the usual, dunked the brush in a bowl, wet the soap and waited a minute.
The loading of the brush was a lot better this time around.

And the resulting lather?

A thick paste like substance that enveloped my face like a cocoon.
It was so slick and protective that I almost had a hard time rinsing it off afterwards.
So that's how a proper lather is supposed to look like.

I thought my TOBS lathered well but there is no comparing the two.
This thing was thick and creamy, almost like mayonnaise.

The woods scent I thought was ok and I still have three samples to burn through.

But they have other scents too...

I'm beginning to feel the onset of SSAD...

Saint Charles help me...

This is the only soap I haven't been able to sample. I have heard so much about it, all good. It's really sad that they don't ship international!

and better yet.... If you know anyone else in Sweden you could ship to them..... I'll do that for all the internationals

I remember when Tony Espisito introduce the world to Sue and the SCS soaps and colognes. She was an Ebay soaper seller. tony was so impressed with her soap he asked her if she would make shaving soap.

She did.

The rest is history. As you may know, Sue passed and her daughter, Wendy, took over the company. Wendy has taken it to new heights over the years, but she has never lost the quality of the original formulas. The soap performs very well with a very protective blanket of slickness. Reminds me of the old Willie G's (from Ebay) which was such a lubricating soap too.

I don't hold back about SCS, their soaps, colognes, aftershave splash or milk are all top notch in my opinion. You can not go wrong with SCS.

These guys make the best sandalwood I've ever tried, by far. They brilliantly add vanilla to it, and out comes this unbelievable creamy-yet-spicy smelling lather. Add the amazing performance and you've got a darn good soap that rivals the best of em.

I had heard great things about their aftershaves but not much about their soaps. First i tried a few AS samples and was very impressed. Next, figured I'd give their soaps a try so I ordered a puck of Lemon Verbana. I completely agree with the positive sentiments of the OP. I load for about 30 seconds, and with very little effort get a thick, creamy, slick lather. The scent reminds me of lemon ices from an Italian pizzeria in the hot summer. Perfect for the upcoming season.

Sad update.

It seems my face doesn't agree with SCS soaps :-(

I thought it was just regular razor burn, even though I shave with a very light touch.

Then I saw the little white bumps from skin irritation :-(

I tried switching back and forth between different brands of soaps and the conclusion is that the SCS soap is the culprit.

I'm sorry to say that my new SCS soaps will be placed in a PIF box for someone else to enjoy

Does anyone know if they will ship to an APO box? Trying not to spend more money, but may be fighting a losing battle...

Sad update.

I thought it was just regular razor burn, even though I shave with a very light touch.

I tried switching back and forth between different brands of soaps and the conclusion is that the SCS soap is the culprit.

I'm sorry to say that my new SCS soaps will be placed in a PIF box for someone else to enjoy

that is sad news

Does anyone know if they will ship to an APO box? Trying not to spend more money, but may be fighting a losing battle...

email Wendy and ask

Sad update.

Could be a reaction to SLES, perhaps? Reactions to SLES are a lot less common than reactions to SLS, but they do occur rarely. SCS soaps don't have any SLS in them, but they do contain SLES in small amounts.
Mum very sensitive to SLS but I've never had a problem with St Charles shave soaps.

Top Bottom