What's new

How many pipe tobaccos in your rotation?

I'm wondering whether you pipe veterans have a lot of tobaccos that you rotate, or if you tend to have just a handful. As an occasional pipe smoker, I'm tempted to try everything. But do you vets tend to have a few go-to blends? Wondering about the parallels between collecting shave creams and pipe tobaccos.

Dave

I'm by no means of that, but I am trying to simplify. I would rather buy more tins of fewer blends so I can cellar them rather than have many open jars. I have Been working my way through the GL Pease's blends have probably 10 different ones open at this time. I want to settle in on a few that I like and stock up.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A handful of what I like. Penzance, Squadron Leader, Lancer's Slices, 3 Oaks Syrian. I love Latakia.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have about double what Boris has in open blends. I actively smoke a dozen or so favorites, and the rest are occasional smokes and things I'm trying out.

I currently have about 15 different tobaccos that I am smoking. I too am a Latakia fan. But I have been expanding my horizions with Virginias and VaPers. I do have either GLP's Chelsea Morning or EMP for the morning smoke, then whatever strikes my fancy for the afternoon bowl. Today its SPC Mississippi River.

I'm still searching for a few more solid aro's to stock up on, but I generally have about 4 or 5 blends I hit often, then another 3 or 4 that are occasional smokes. I guess I'm more minimalist than a lot of others here. lol

I'm new at this Pipe game so I've been "sampling" A LOT. I've probably got 25 open tobaccos, all in mason jars. My hope is that I find a few that I live enough to but in bulk and just but the odd tin for when something new strikes my fancy. However, if the razors, shave soap, DE blades, are a historical indication ill likely just keep buying more and more :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I too am an occasional pipe smoker, been at it for less than 2 yrs, and want to try everything. I have approximately 35 blends, most have been opened and transferred to small mason jars. Most have had only a few bowls sampled from them and then put aside. I don't really have anything cellared in quantity yet. Like many others, as my technique has improved and my tastes have changed, I've gone back to a few that I initially did not care for, only to find that they are much better now. Case in point, one of the first tins I purchased was a dusty tin of Peterson's Gold Blend that was at least two years old before the tin was opened. I tried to like it, but at that time I was still experiencing tongue bite, largely due to my poor technique. I put it away in a mason jar and came back to it about a year later, it was very enjoyable last night! There have been a couple of tins that I have polished off and may buy again, like Frog Morton OTB and Cellar, but for now I'm still sampling new varieties. I'm sure I'll find a few that I will eventually cellar in quantity, but I have not yet found "the one" (or the few). The glass tobacco jar in my father's old pipe rack is filled with a local B&M English blend and I may buy some EMP bulk to put in another. Eventually my sampling of new blends will slow down, but with the low frequency of my pipe smoking, it will take a very long time for my many small mason jars to be depleted. So I will probably always have a lot of jars/tins open for occasional use. Eventually I'll settle on a handful of blends to cellar in quantity, but I suspect I'll die (not that I anticipate it happening soon!) with a lot of tobacco on hand!
In reference to the correlation to razors, within my first year of wet shaving, I accumulated about sixty vintage razors and I just bought several estate pipes , bringing the total pipes to about forty! Yes I tend to jump in with both feet into the deep end!

Last edited:
I'm new at this Pipe game so I've been "sampling" A LOT. I've probably got 25 open tobaccos, all in mason jars. My hope is that I find a few that I live enough to but in bulk and just but the odd tin for when something new strikes my fancy. However, if the razors, shave soap, DE blades, are a historical indication ill likely just keep buying more and more :)

I too am an occasional pipe smoker, been at it for less than 2 yrs, and want to try everything. I have approximately 35 blends, most have been opened and transferred to small mason jars. Most have had only a few bowls sampled from them and then put aside.

I'm with these guys. Last count was right around 35. There are a few I go back to regularly, but whenever I acquire new tobaccos I can't wait to try them all.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No one else was shocked by this? :laugh:

I rotate through a few (Nightcap, various Frogs, Esoterica Pembroke) taking detours to try samples I've been sent and saved.
I didn't list things I rarely touch. Like SG St. James Flake and Black XX (which has sat, untouched, in a mason jar for over a year).

I too am an occasional pipe smoker, been at it for less than 2 yrs, and want to try everything. I have approximately 35 blends, most have been opened and transferred to small mason jars. Most have had only a few bowls sampled from them and then put aside. I don't really have anything cellared in quantity yet. Like many others, as my technique has improved and my tastes have changed, I've gone back to a few that I initially did not care for, only to find that they are much better now. Case in point, one of the first tins I purchased was a dusty tin of Peterson's Gold Blend that was at least two years old before the tin was opened. I tried to like it, but at that time I was still experiencing tongue bite, largely due to my poor technique. I put it away in a mason jar and came back to it about a year later, it was very enjoyable last night! There have been a couple of tins that I have polished off and may buy again, like Frog Morton OTB and Cellar, but for now I'm still sampling new varieties. I'm sure I'll find a few that I will eventually cellar in quantity, but I have not yet found "the one" (or the few). The glass tobacco jar in my father's old pipe rack is filled with a local B&M English blend and I may buy some EMP bulk to put in another. Eventually my sampling of new blends will slow down, but with the low frequency of my pipe smoking, it will take a very long time for my many small mason jars to be depleted. So I will probably always have a lot of jars/tins open for occasional use. Eventually I'll settle on a handful of blends to cellar in quantity, but I suspect I'll die (not that I anticipate it happening soon!) with a lot of tobacco on hand!
In reference to the correlation to razors, within my first year of wet shaving, I accumulated about sixty vintage razors and I just bought several estate pipes , bringing the total pipes to about forty! Yes I tend to jump in with both feet into the deep end!

Amen brother. It's nice to knows I'm not alone.

I'm in same boat as the occasional smokers. I have 20+ in mason jars or in my humidor mostly from trying different types. I wouldn't go as far to say I have a rotation.

I started pipe smoking in the late 60's and over time have collected 20 pipes. I have tried many tobaccos, some of which are no longer available. I used to have a dozen or so in rotation but now, only 2. Erinmore Flake and Peterson Connoisseur's Choice.

Getting down to about three. Frog Morton (original) for Latakia, McClelland 5100 Red Cake for Virginia and Peretti's Tashkent for oriental. Have a two or three others but not actively smoking them at the moment. I smoke maybe once a day (outside when the weather is nice), and particularly enjoy these three.

Top Bottom