What's new

Not Sure if This is the Place to Post This, but Any Experience with The Rolls Razor?

This thing is definitely more straight razor than safety razor but I'm not sure if it counts :confused1

I'm not asking how to use it, but if anyone here has any experience using one. If so, do you recommend it? I picked on up recently with a few DE Gillettes and I'm very tempted to try it! (I'm sure it's not as nice to use as my gillettes or my straight but I'm curious about it to say the least!)

Pics as requested!
$016.jpg
$017.jpg
$018.jpg
$019.jpg
$020.jpg

I've owned a Rolls razor for quite a while but only recently got it out and used it. They actually give a very impressive shave. I had to hone the blade on the hones I use for straights to get a decent edge on it and I took the guide bar off because it just got in the way. The quality and ease of the shave was very impressive. I'll certainly be using it again in the near future.

I've actually thought about removing the guard as well haha, I'll see if it does in fact get in the way when I shave with it later. As for honing, mine didn't come with a hone (it is missing) so I guess I'll be going that route anyway! Thanks for the input, it like it's definitely worth a try, maybe it'll make it into the rotation(?)

I've owned a Rolls razor for quite a while but only recently got it out and used it. They actually give a very impressive shave. I had to hone the blade on the hones I use for straights to get a decent edge on it and I took the guide bar off because it just got in the way. The quality and ease of the shave was very impressive. I'll certainly be using it again in the near future.

+1
The Rolls gives a superb shave when the blade is honed outside the box.

It seems that when new they were not shave ready, nor was the case hone adequate to give the blade a really good edge.
So many that were bought fell into disuse very quickly, which is why so many are to be found in the wild in nearly new condition.

I too hone mine with the progression I use for my straights, and it's weird to think that these razors are only now performing properly in the 21st century.

+1 I too hone mine with the progression I use for my straights, and it's weird to think that these razors are only now performing properly in the 21st century.

That is a weird thought! I never really thought that there was a specific reason that every time I visit an antique mall or flea market I see at least one of these (usually 5 or 6!) in like-new condition, but that would certainly make sense!

I may take mine out and hone it before I attempt to shave with it now, that way I can give it a fair chance. The whole concept of the razor is really ingenious whether it works or not, but it's a shame that it seems to have been the latter. (Didn't stop them from selling, however, by the looks of it!)

I have one, 1948, I tried to use it a it came. It needs some time put into it.

In the forum across the hall, there is a great thread about these razors.

I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Well I went against my own advice and took a shower and had a nice midnight shave with the 'ol rolls, and while it could definitely use a good hone, it shaved quite well! It was a very enjoyable experience as well, even though it does take a bit of getting used to. Definitely as good or better quality post-shave smoothness as my DE's! (can only get better after a hone!)

I have to say that it is an interesting and good little razor, the merging of the safety razor package with the blade of a straight is I nice experience to shave with!

I agree with all the comments. Don't use the hone in the box. I would also recommend changing the leather strop. The are great shavers and will last a lifetime

I agree with all the comments. Don't use the hone in the box. I would also recommend changing the leather strop. The are great shavers and will last a lifetime

Next time I go out to shop I'm gonna see if I can find one with a strop that someone hasn't been sliced! :scared:
I'm also going to do some honework this weekend on it and see if I can't get it to stop tugging, and after that I have to say that it may make it into the rotation after all! It's a great little razor in my opinion.

I think in the case, it was extremely pasted strop-dependent back in the day. They are tremendous once you get it properly shave ready. I prefer it without the little guard/kickstand.

It sounds like I should definitely try to source another strop for it then. It makes sense that it would be pretty strop-dependent though now that I think about it, even the instructions recommend stropping it after every shave. My strop has a couple of slices in it on both directions, unfortunately, and that definitely isn't doing anything good for my edge!

I'm not really inclined, but different stropping mediums impregnated with different pastes in the case would probably yield interesting results.

Ha ha - I never thought of pasting the case strop. Even though I've seen countless ads for Rolls strop dressing.
I'm getting on it right now! Thanks guys! :)

From what I've read over the past couple of days it's always been hard to get a completely shave-ready edge with the case itself so maybe a bit of paste will solve that problem. It's definitely worth a try, anyway!

From what I've read over the past couple of days it's always been hard to get a completely shave-ready edge with the case itself so maybe a bit of paste will solve that problem. It's definitely worth a try, anyway!

Yeah - I saw someone else cutting lapping film to size and using that.
I've had excellent results honing and stropping outside the box but have thought that if I'm going to go to all that trouble then I might as well just use my straights.

But a pasted strop inside the box could be the key :)

That's a good point too. I like the idea of toting the rolls on vacation instead of a straight and get the same quality shave. I'll have to work out the stropping issue first though!

One huge deal with the case is the friction clip needs to be degreased so it can place the proper pressure on the blade relative to the hone/strop. I used that bible of a thread that is elsewhere and it improved the mechanism's performance a lot.

Top Bottom