What's new

What does one need for a camping trip?

I have not been camping in years and I have no clue on what I need for equipment, or if it would be better to rent a cabin in the woods? My wife and I are talking about camping this summer, and I don't know where to start. Price is my biggest concern, but I need quality as well. We are looking to go out at least once this summer, and with the weight loss I am feeling more ambitious to try to be more active.

Any suggestions?

I currently have nothing in supplies (That I know of) other than my fishing pole and tackle box :eek:)

How is wife about roughing it? A cabin might be a good place to start for this year, then you can take your time putting together something more ambitious.

If she's a tough cookie, then you can look up "peapod hammock" on Youtube and follow links around to see what people are using for more simplistic camping.

As to your current supplies, what razor are you planning on taking? :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is obviously a personal choice based on what kind of camping you want to do.
The answers could range from just a tarp all the way to a full size Winnebago Camper.
Assuming you mean something approximately middle ground, you'd need a tent, sleeping bags, campfire cookware, possibly a camp stove if fuel might be an issue.
You also have to bear in mind how much gear you are willing to carry on your back to where you will be camping.
The key here is the experience level and willingness to try new things that your wife brings to the table.
If you want to take her camping, and ever want her to go with you again a second time, you have to make sure she is going to be comfortable, and enjoys herself.
At minimum, with sleeping bags - make sure you bring a cheap air mattress. If your wife is miserable laying on hard ground, you'll never get her to set foot out with you again.
Pay attention to niceties too. Where will she be able to go to the bathroom? Is there some privacy? How long will the trip last and how will she freshen up?
If she has never done anything like this before, I'd suggest a commercial campground that has decent facilities. Drive in with your gear, unload it right there at your camp site and have a good time.
If she enjoys the mini-adventure, then you can take her wilderness camping with nothing but a solar blanket and a multi-tool next year! :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Unfortunately, camp gear can be quite expensive if you are looking to get something that lasts more than one trip.
Your best bet is to look at Military Surplus places for things like sleeping bags and some gear. The surplus places are usually cheaper for quality gear - but not always, so watch out for places that sell to the "Soldier of Fortune wanna-be's".
If it's just you and her, a 3 man tent from Coleman can be had for around a hundred bucks, and they are generally speaking, pretty good tents.
My personal opinion is to get one with a vestibule so you don't bring muddy shoes or gear into the tent with you, but your gear is protected from weather and nearby. Of course, food in the tent is a major no-no, but you knew that.
If you can buy something that is very similar to "camping gear" but isn't labeled "camping gear" you're going to get away cheaper.

luvmysuper is right on the money. "Camping" covers everything from rustic or nice cabins to extended backpacking trips. I'd suggest borrowing some stuff before you jump in and spend a lot of money.

I camp a lot with Boy Scouts, but my wife, not so much. The few times she has been out, we camped in state parks where we had toilets and running water. I call this car camping because we set up a tent, but had a Coleman stove and regular cooking gear and a cooler for food and drink.

If you have kids, camping is a great family activity.

If you get into backpacking, be prepared to spend $1,000 each on good gear. You will have to equip from head to toe with socks, boots, pack, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, water bottles, stove, fuel bottles, layered non-cotton clothing, backpack, cook gear, rain gear, compass, etc.

With backpacking gear, you pay a premium for small and light.

Good luck. Camping is great fun with right gear.

luvmysuper is right on the money. "Camping" covers everything from rustic or nice cabins to extended backpacking trips. I'd suggest borrowing some stuff before you jump in and spend a lot of money.

I camp a lot with Boy Scouts, but my wife, not so much. The few times she has been out, we camped in state parks where we had toilets and running water. I call this car camping because we set up a tent, but had a Coleman stove and regular cooking gear and a cooler for food and drink.

If you have kids, camping is a great family activity.

If you get into backpacking, be prepared to spend $1,000 each on good gear. You will have to equip from head to toe with socks, boots, pack, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, water bottles, stove, fuel bottles, layered non-cotton clothing, backpack, cook gear, rain gear, compass, etc.

With backpacking gear, you pay a premium for small and light.

Good luck. Camping is great fun with right gear.

Car camping sounds like a good start. Might look into the state park option as well. We currently have no kids, just my wife and I.

Backpack camping is an idea when i from another 200lbs off my body, but not today

Unfortunately, camp gear can be quite expensive if you are looking to get something that lasts more than one trip.
Your best bet is to look at Military Surplus places for things like sleeping bags and some gear. The surplus places are usually cheaper for quality gear - but not always, so watch out for places that sell to the "Soldier of Fortune wanna-be's".
If it's just you and her, a 3 man tent from Coleman can be had for around a hundred bucks, and they are generally speaking, pretty good tents.
My personal opinion is to get one with a vestibule so you don't bring muddy shoes or gear into the tent with you, but your gear is protected from weather and nearby. Of course, food in the tent is a major no-no, but you knew that.
If you can buy something that is very similar to "camping gear" but isn't labeled "camping gear" you're going to get away cheaper.

Good Advice!

Assuming you mean something approximately middle ground, you'd need a tent, sleeping bags, campfire cookware, possibly a camp stove if fuel might be an issue.
The key here is the experience level and willingness to try new things that your wife brings to the table.
If you want to take her camping, and ever want her to go with you again a second time, you have to make sure she is going to be comfortable, and enjoys herself.
At minimum, with sleeping bags - make sure you bring a cheap air mattress. If your wife is miserable laying on hard ground, you'll never get her to set foot out with you again.
Pay attention to niceties too. Where will she be able to go to the bathroom? Is there some privacy? How long will the trip last and how will she freshen up?
If she has never done anything like this before, I'd suggest a commercial campground that has decent facilities. Drive in with your gear, unload it right there at your camp site and have a good time.
If she enjoys the mini-adventure, then you can take her wilderness camping with nothing but a solar blanket and a multi-tool next year! :lol:

Very good advice as well. I need to make sure she is comfortable with this, or she will never go again.

How is wife about roughing it? A cabin might be a good place to start for this year, then you can take your time putting together something more ambitious.

If she's a tough cookie, then you can look up "peapod hammock" on Youtube and follow links around to see what people are using for more simplistic camping.

As to your current supplies, what razor are you planning on taking? :lol:

The cabin for this year is looking like the best option the more I look at it, due to cost and wanting to get into the woods. I have quite a few options in my area, and will be looking into them.

Still want to get the basics (sleeping Bag, Tent, air mattress, cooking stove, gas lantern, but if we decide on the cabin camping, then some of these items can wait until we can afford them Main thing is to have fun away from everything.

If you want, I can send you our Boy Scout check list. We are packing right now. Going to be beautiful weather here in GA. Just PM me and I will send it.

Just got back from the Boy Scout Reservation. My flashlight burned out and we forgot the batteries. I also forgot the matches so I had to sheepishly beg a pack off another scoutmaster. We are pretty experienced campers and have our gear ready to go at a moments notice, but it's still easy to forget essentials.

We camp from time to time at a fairly prepared place. They have showers up the road (or right next door if you pick a site close enough) and bathrooms, used for the ol unplanned #2 that the wife isn't comfortable taking care of against a tree. We bring a tent, an air mattress, some sleeping bags, a cooler, some TP, beer and food, flashlights, lighters, fire starting sticks, a hatchet, firewood (we also dig some out of the woods), a radio, and a little campfire grill with utensils. This is normally good for a night or two and keeps us both happy.

Top Bottom