What's new

Recommend a good (first) open comb razor

Thanks! Is there any advantage of buying the 26C over the 24C? I'm not sure what the black part on the handle of the 26C is made of, but worry that it would get damaged more easily than solid metal...

I got the 26C because I think the black handle looks better.

The best beginner OC is the Merkur 1904 (41C). You can buy the same head from Muhle for more $ and own the (2009) R41. It is a mild shave. Tame as the EJ 89s for a closed comb.

So far, I've only used a closed comb razor (Merkur180). I have been wet shaving since the Fall and it went quite well (read: no bloodbaths) from the beginning. I do have sensitive skin, however, and noticed that changing from Mach 3 to DE wet shaving was a huge improvement. Feathers are my preferred blade. I would like to try an open comb razor. Since I don't always have time to shave regularly, there are weeks where I might go by 3 or 4 days at a time without shaving. As such, I don't mind an aggressive shave. That said, I would like to purchase a not-crazily expensive open comb razor.

It seems like the Merkur 1904 (#41) and another un-numbered Merkur open comb are the two main ones I keep seeing mentioned. I do like the look of the 1904, but welcome suggestions about what razor to get.

My first DE razor was also the Merkur180, and I went for R41 two weeks later. I then couldn't resist the Merkur Slant, which I picked up two weeks after that.
Nothing wrong with it, but my 180 will soon be offered for sale. R41 and Slant are all I'll need. I'll run each blade for 7 days, starting with R41 for 3-4 days and ending with Slant up to day 7. Then the party will start all over again.
I am deciding between Derby Extra or Dorco as my exclusive blade. Once decision is made, I'll order at least 100 and will be good for a couple years.
I stick with Arko and Proraso Green so far. I'll probably splash out for a tub of MdC and pick up 1-2 sticks of Palmolive in the next week or two.
Voilà. Good times.

How does the Shavecraft 101 ($60 for a new "second" + $3.62 shipping) compare to the Gillette Old Type and Gillette Long Comb? I am tempted to spring for the Shavecraft if it's worth it (or, possibly both, if I can find people with used ones in good condition willing to sterilize them and let them go at a discount).
I have to throw my vote out there for this Razor. It has truly become my favorite. Mild yet efficient, best shaves I've had to date. Blems are hardly noticeable and don't effect the shave at all. Check them out on italian barber 59.99. with $60 free shipping. Get some blades too :thumbup1:.

I bought a cadet and the top cap way not centered, one side is more aggressive than the other and both are very aggressive. Much better with my merkur top cap. :thumbdown.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the insight, everyone :). My order for the Shavecraft and Parker OCs from Phil shipped today. I'm excited to try them out!

As always, if you have more suggestions/thoughts, please feel free to continue sharing in this thread!

Thanks for the insight, everyone :). My order for the Shavecraft and Parker OCs from Phil shipped today. I'm excited to try them out!

As always, if you have more suggestions/thoughts, please feel free to continue sharing in this thread!

Nice....

I have a Parker OC or order from Phil too and am looking forward to breaking it it.

I'd be very interested to see how you compare the 2 razors after a few shaves. I am curious about the Shavecraft 101 and almost bought one but went with the Parker instead.

Once I started shaving with a OC NEW I knew I was going to get hooked on OC's

Nice....

I have a Parker OC or order from Phil too and am looking forward to breaking it it.

I'd be very interested to see how you compare the 2 razors after a few shaves. I am curious about the Shavecraft 101 and almost bought one but went with the Parker instead.

Once I started shaving with a OC NEW I knew I was going to get hooked on OC's
I'm curious to see how the two compare for Badger123. I'm betting that the Shavecraft wins the contest, but everyone's face and shave is different...

The package arrived a couple days ago with a couple extras (a BGS pen and a box of GSBs - thanks, Phil!). I've been letting my beard grow for a couple days and I'm a nighttime shaver, so I'm planning to shave tonight...if I can decide which razor to use first!

The package arrived a couple days ago with a couple extras (a BGS pen and a box of GSBs - thanks, Phil!). I've been letting my beard grow for a couple days and I'm a nighttime shaver, so I'm planning to shave tonight...if I can decide which razor to use first!

Eenie meenie miney moe time.

I shaved with the Shavecraft 101 just now. It was quite bloody. Actually, it was the reddest shave I've ever had in my life. To be fair, I didn't search to see if you are supposed to use a different technique when shaving with an open comb razor (is there?). I also used an Astra SP blade; I was afraid that my usual preferred blade (Feather) might make things too bloody. Otherwise, I did my usual presage routine and tried not to rush the shave. I did like the heavy weight of the Shavecraft 101 handle. It was also much shorter than my usual Merkur 180, but still maneuverable.

I shaved with the Shavecraft 101 just now. It was quite bloody. Actually, it was the reddest shave I've ever had in my life. To be fair, I didn't search to see if you are supposed to use a different technique when shaving with an open comb razor (is there?). I also used an Astra SP blade; I was afraid that my usual preferred blade (Feather) might make things too bloody. Otherwise, I did my usual presage routine and tried not to rush the shave. I did like the heavy weight of the Shavecraft 101 handle. It was also much shorter than my usual Merkur 180, but still maneuverable.
ZERO pressure and really shallow head angle and you will love it.

I actually find mine quite mild. Don't give up on it yet. Maybe try tweaking some other things like face prep and soap/cream. I agree with 01HDFXD that once you figure it out you will love it.

ZERO pressure and really shallow head angle and you will love it.

By shallow head angle, do you mean angling the blade so that it is as parallel to the skin as I can get it? Also, should I only use the OC side and ignore the bar side of the head?

In particular, I always have trouble with shaving under my jaw/chin/neck on my dominant side, regardless the razor I use. For some reason, I can shave the same area on the opposite side just fine, but always struggle with the same side.

I just now shaved with my Parker 24C. I love that the handle is heavy. It is either the heaviest or second heaviest razor I own. This shave was a lot less bloody than my last shave (with the Shavecraft 101), but I used a Feather blade (my usual blade of choice; this was shave #3 for this specific blade) instead of an Astra SP. I went WTG and ATG. I again struggled with the same area, but only had a tiny bit of oozing this evening. As far as results are concerned, I think I had a better shave with the Shavecraft 101. But, further research is warranted!

By shallow head angle, do you mean angling the blade so that it is as parallel to the skin as I can get it? Also, should I only use the OC side and ignore the bar side of the head?

In particular, I always have trouble with shaving under my jaw/chin/neck on my dominant side, regardless the razor I use. For some reason, I can shave the same area on the opposite side just fine, but always struggle with the same side.
By "shallow angle," I mean starting with the top of the cap flat against the side of the face, with the handle sticking more or less straight out, parallel to the floor, then gently lowering your hand until you can feel the blade starting to make contact with your skin, and then stop. Other folks may call it something different.

Try both sides of the Shavecraft head and see which you like better. I have a definite preference for the OC side because it leaves more lather on my face, making the shave feel smoother.

The neck/chin/jawline is the challenge for every person who shaves. The difference between strong and weak side shaving may be a result of differing head angles, so try paying close attention when you are shaving those areas. Getting that part of your face smoothly shaved without irritation takes lots of practice and experience.

FWIW, I have been going through my rotation of mostly vintage Gillette OC razors and a few others to try to narrow the rotation down to one primary razor and a few others to throw in for variety. I have used Astra SP's as a constant for the comparison. I have to tell you that every time I get to the Shavecraft, it is a quantum leap in smoothness and comfort over the others, even my previous favorite, the New LC.

Overall, after shaving with various OCs this past month (I typically shave just a couple times each week because I'm too tired to do it more frequently), I honestly don't think I can really tell the difference between the shave I get from a closed vs open comb razor. :s

For the first open comb razor I would recommend Merkur HD 11c , but only after Gillette New SC .
I think it's the best choice - NEW SC or LC.

Last edited:
I've been using a 26c for a few weeks now. Great razor. Try a Voskhod blade, I find it extremely smooth and comfy in the OC Parker. I just ordered a OC Ikon from Phil today. We'll see how it compares to the 26c.

Top Bottom