What's new

Recommend a good (first) open comb razor

So far, I've only used a closed comb razor (Merkur180). I have been wet shaving since the Fall and it went quite well (read: no bloodbaths) from the beginning. I do have sensitive skin, however, and noticed that changing from Mach 3 to DE wet shaving was a huge improvement. Feathers are my preferred blade. I would like to try an open comb razor. Since I don't always have time to shave regularly, there are weeks where I might go by 3 or 4 days at a time without shaving. As such, I don't mind an aggressive shave. That said, I would like to purchase a not-crazily expensive open comb razor.

It seems like the Merkur 1904 (#41) and another un-numbered Merkur open comb are the two main ones I keep seeing mentioned. I do like the look of the 1904, but welcome suggestions about what razor to get.

Look for an Old Type, you can usually pick up one in decent shape for about $10. By the way the 1904 is Merkur's attempt at copying the Old, and IMHO they made it way too mild.

A nice Gillette new lc would fit the bill. Not too aggressive, not to mild, and is fairly cheap.
+1. Gillette New Long Combs were my favorite razor until a week or so, when my new Ikon Shavecraft 101 arrived. If you have the budget for one, they run about $75, but you can get one that is being sold by Bullgoose as a second because of supposed cosmetic defects in the head (but I sure haven't been able to detect any) for about $60. You can't go wrong with either the Shavecraft or the New LC, and either one will sell easily on B/S/T if you use it and decide not to keep it.

BTW, be sure to check out the long running "Brotherhood of the Open Comb" thread. Tons of great info.

I'd recommend the 1904 for sure. Very mild for an open comb. If you want to go more aggressive then think about a Cadet. They're inexpensive and have awesome handles.

A cheaper ($14) rebranding of the cadet is the RR Jaws, which i happened to have used this morning. The previous few days had been with a Gillette New Long Comb which i got on advice here as it is a big fav here. Either is an affordable way to test the waters. The New, though more expensive and seriously 'pre-owned', is very re-sellable if you are not happy. I think the Jaws is a good piece and aggressive while the New is more refined, smoother and just as sure to get the job done - probably an item I'm more inclined to keep over the long run.
That said, open combs are eye openers.

+1 on this. The Gillette Old is the the prototype for all these modern copies.

Look for an Old Type, you can usually pick up one in decent shape for about $10. By the way the 1904 is Merkur's attempt at copying the Old, and IMHO they made it way too mild.

How does the Shavecraft 101 ($60 for a new "second" + $3.62 shipping) compare to the Gillette Old Type and Gillette Long Comb? I am tempted to spring for the Shavecraft if it's worth it (or, possibly both, if I can find people with used ones in good condition willing to sterilize them and let them go at a discount).

To me, the Shavecraft shaves like a New Long Comb, only smoother. Both are somewhat less aggressive than the Old Type. However, the Shavecraft, which seems to be on the mild-to-medium part of the aggression scale, is extremely efficient, which probably is the reason it shaves so smoothly, at least on my face.

BTW, you want to sanitize razors, not sterilize them. The usual way to sterilize objects is usually by using an autoclave, and that would probably damage most razors. Barbasol or scrubbing bubbles to all you need to make a used razor safe for a new owner, and even that is probably overkill, given the limited viability of most infectious microorganisms outside of certain conditions that they usually need to survive.

The new Parker is user friendly. Easy to find and maintain proper angle. Not as aggressive as an Old Type. Good heft to it as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok, got the Gillette New short comb razor in yesterdays mail. It took two weeks to the day it was shipped to travel from Washington State to Texas first class. I used it to shave with this morning. I used a brand new Gillette Silver Blue bade and Synergy Cavendish soap. Well, I was a little nervous it being my first open comb razor. You could tell immediately that it was going to be one to respect. I just took my time and watched my angle and pressure. I just knew I was going to have a few weepers. To my surprise I had none. I finished with about and 90% BBS with a few spots that could have been touched up some, but decided not to push it...being the first shave and all. Very happy so far with this OC razor. Go get you one. Pic below.
attachment.php

Congratulations! How do you like that Wm. Neumann & Co. shave soap? I have their Absolute Zero aftershave and it is simply amazing. All of my other aftershaves have been collecting dust since I bought it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Bloozepicker,

Love it. The scent is not over the top. Nice thick lather. When I ordered it they sent me all of their AS samples. I love them all. The Soda Fountain AS is very interesting it smells like root beer.

Love it. The scent is not over the top. Nice thick lather. When I ordered it they sent me all of their AS samples. I love them all. The Soda Fountain AS is very interesting it smells like root beer.

Yeah, they sent me the AS sampler as well and a bar of Juniper Berry bath soap that is pretty good too. I love the Old Fashioned Soda scent and the Signature 1907 as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yeah, they sent me the AS sampler as well and a bar of Juniper Berry bath soap that is pretty good too. I love the Old Fashioned Soda scent and the Signature 1907 as well.

Yeah, I got the Juniper Berry soap too(pretty good). I prefer to do business with American Companies, so, my next purchase will be one of their AS's and a balm.

Top Bottom