What's new

Irish soda bread

I have been baking my own bread using spelt flour all year and still loving it.

About two weeks ago, I gave Irish soda bread a try instead of the conventional bread with yeast. I could not believe how easy it is (dough is done sooner than the oven is hot) and I love the flavour and texture.

This is how I have been doing it:
  • about 400 grams of flour (I always use spelt flour)
  • about 350ml of buttermilk (the acid reacts with the baking soda)
  • 2 teaspoons of baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • optional: a teaspoon of Sugar.

Just mix the ingredients, no need for excessive kneading. Form loaf, put it on baking tray and carve it in (I do a very deep cleavage over the length with a pizza cutting wheel but Irish tradition is a round bread with an X carved into it). Put in an oven (about 220-225 degrees) and bake for 30-40 min. It's done when it sounds hollow when tapped.

It almost feels like cheating.

Any other soda bread bakers/lovers here?

I had Irish soda bread with raisins and nuts in it years ago. It tasted good but was dry. I believe it was grocery store bought, but I was a guest, and didn't ask them about it.

My understanding is that soda bread just tends to be dry, I don't beleive I've ever had it where it was moist, and I've tried a lot of varieties. (Never made it myself though) I'm a cook not a baker (lol)

Mine is not dry at all and is very eatable, even a day later. It's just a bit more compact (not compared to sourdough) than the generic bread.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I make some from time to time. My personal take is that it is best eaten immediately with butter and jam. When it comes right down to it I'd say that about most breads.

omg IRISH soda bread.. makes me think of my grandma what I would not give for a warm peace with butter or a nice potato pancake with butter.. this my friends is comfort food

I do think I make my dough a bit wetter than most which could be the reason for having a nice soft and slightly moist bread.

The excess moisture evaporates and all goodness from the buttermilk stays.

My wife loves this bread even more than I do and the kids eat it as well.

Late to the party. I used to operate the bread oven for an artisanal bakery. The first time I baked Irish Soda Bread I used standard tests to determine the bake. Temp it close but then rely on cell structure and moisture in a broken loaf. Not even close. Like many I had over-baked the loaf, as it cooled it became too dry. I was able to dial the bake in shortly thereafter but it got to the point where when I would test a loaf it would still be doughy in the center 2". The loaves' residual heat would take the bake home. When baked properly ISB is a lovely bread. Paired with better and jam....close to heaven.

Thanks for the recipe. I will have to see if I am able to revive my baker's touch.

My dad was first generation born Irish in the US. We had soda bread often. Thx for the post.

Last edited:
Used a very similar recipe this past St. Paddy's. Super moist bread that was awesome with some honey butter.

Kind of a side topic, but have any of you cooked soda bread in a dutch oven? I was reading up on it and it sounds like the original was cooked in a dutch oven over open flame and I'm wondering how that affects the crust and texture.

$20140317_112437.jpg
its not an X, it's a Cross on the top!:wink2:

I have been baking my own bread using spelt flour all year and still loving it.

About two weeks ago, I gave Irish soda bread a try instead of the conventional bread with yeast. I could not believe how easy it is (dough is done sooner than the oven is hot) and I love the flavour and texture.

This is how I have been doing it:
  • about 400 grams of flour (I always use spelt flour)
  • about 350ml of buttermilk (the acid reacts with the baking soda)
  • 2 teaspoons of baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • optional: a teaspoon of Sugar.

Just mix the ingredients, no need for excessive kneading. Form loaf, put it on baking tray and carve it in (I do a very deep cleavage over the length with a pizza cutting wheel but Irish tradition is a round bread with an X carved into it). Put in an oven (about 220-225 degrees) and bake for 30-40 min. It's done when it sounds hollow when tapped.

It almost feels like cheating.

Any other soda bread bakers/lovers here?

Yep!
Now just cook up some bacon nice and crisp, break it up and add small cubes of cheddar cheese into that mix.

If you like breads that are so easy and fast that they feel like cheating, try beer bread. Look up a recipe or buy a mix at the dollar store. Combine dry ingredients or mix with one can of beer, stir it but not too much, dump it in a loaf pan, and slap it in the oven. Delicious, cheap, and easy.

If you like breads that are so easy and fast that they feel like cheating, try beer bread. Look up a recipe or buy a mix at the dollar store. Combine dry ingredients or mix with one can of beer, stir it but not too much, dump it in a loaf pan, and slap it in the oven. Delicious, cheap, and easy.

That's indeed on my to-try-list.

I guess I would start with my proven recipe and replace the buttermilk with a dark beer. I think there should be enough acid in beer to make the soda work.

I grew up eating my Irish grandmother's sodabread. She uses raisins in her's, and now that you are posting about it I need to make a batch.
Oh, and I bought powdered buttermilk (which I hydrate before adding to the mix, I don't use it as powder). It helps avoid waste since I was always buying a pint of quart to use just over a cup.

My wife makes brown bread (as it is called here in Ireland) with a hazelnut yoghurt as part of the liquid. Pour it into the loaf tin and bake away. Great stuff with poached eggs. That was until I found out I'm celiac :'(

This is a fun bread to make. It turns out great. The only change that I make is to add more flour. This recipe is far too wet as is. I use a microwave bunt pan for mine.

Top Bottom