What's new

Best Low Cost Black ink

I am looking for a decent Black Ink to ink up the Varsity with when it runs out. (The shade of blue that comes in the Varsity would be acceptable as well, but I don't know what color of blue it is).

I'm a fan of pelikan brilliant black and several different ones from noodlers, and even parker quink black, all cheap and good choices.

Cross black is cheap and good. Pelikan 4001 brilliant black is just as good (but I don't know if that is for sale in the USA).

Pandora's box opening, but do you want it to have specific properties? Can't go wrong with Quink or Pelikan 4001, but Noodler's Black may be what you're looking for if you want something more permanent.

Noodler's Black is one of the best behaved and highest performing of all the Noodler's inks. If you hand-write words that matter and can't guarantee against water damage from burst pipes, storm roof damage, flood, rain, or spills...(who can) then Noodler's black is a good option.

Pandora's box opening, but do you want it to have specific properties? Can't go wrong with Quink or Pelikan 4001, but Noodler's Black may be what you're looking for if you want something more permanent.

I want Black Hole black (the blackes I can get) and permanent ink.

Old Manhattan is the darkest Noodlers I have but I don't prefer it. It is so saturated the ink dries ontop of ink, so it can smudge or leave streaks when wet. Platinum Carbon is very black, but it can misbehave and has a weird shine to it at angles. Heart of Darkness and Aurora Black are also worth looking at. As already mentioned, swab comparisons are online at Goulet Pens.

Something like Noodler's Heart of Darkness night be the order of the day, they have several waterproof/bulletproof deep blacks available.

Top Bottom