What's new

Never been outside of the US, where should me and the girlfriend go?

Planning a surprise vacation for the lady and I, maybe this summer, but I can adjust the season depending on location.

I really want to go to Europe, but I think a full blown tour would exhaust too many resources and take a lot of time.

We really liked the history and modern mix of Barcelona, but we are very amateur when it comes to travel.

Switzerland ans Sweden have always interested me, and visiting historic sites, castles, etc...

What is a US friendly place (mostly?), if you could pick one or two countries, which and why?

I think in the end, I will settle for England, Ireland, Scotland but I feel like other places are under looked and I may fall in to the tourist traps if I do not choose wisely.

Enough talking, thanks!

Look up the lakes district of northern England. Beautiful area with several B&B's. Then swing up to Scotland. Inverness is a beautiful community with great restaurants and wonderful people. Be sure to visit the Glen Coe valley.

France was rather nice, I'd recommend it-- the Normandy countryside was to die for... although Paris was...well... a city....

Otherwise England, Ireland (although I'd avoid wearing orange, and talking about England up north... old habits die hard!), Scotland, cant really go wrong. Otherwise if you don't mind non-Europe you could try for Australia, New Zealand-- better swimming there then in the Channel! Just don't make friends with the crocs!

Barcelona is fantastic. If you do end up doing the British isles you will not be disappointed. So much history all over and the people are great....oh and there are pubs.....lots and lots of pubs.

I'd say Santorini in Greece if I could go anywhere in Europe

Why not book a flight to a major European city and then backpack from there? If you do some Googling, there are countless of backpacking trip plans out there. That way, you save money and get to see a bunch of countries.

Itally is wonderful. Lots to see as to country-side and historic stuff. Food is incredible. Very tourist friendly. You can surely get by with just English. Not as terribly expensive as England or Scandanavia.

Stockholm is beautiful all year round and not too hot during summer. Everybody speaks English and there's always history present!

$Vinter-i-stockholm.jpg

The Canary Islands (Spain) was a lot of fun. You can hop around the islands on the Fred Olsen high speed ferries, and even take a ferry to Barcelona.

As you are talking resources and time and never being outside of the US - why don't you dip your toe in the water and quickly visit Canada or Mexico depending where you are ?

As you are talking resources and time and never being outside of the US - why don't you dip your toe in the water and quickly visit Canada or Mexico depending where you are ?
+1

Must see places in Canada:
Montreal
Banff
Victoria
Vancouver / Whistler Blackcomb
St Johns
Halifax

Mexico:
Merida (flights from Houston) - Uxmal ruins are just as impressive as Chichen Itza, but off the beaten path
Campeche (fly to Merida and drive) - same as above for ruins
Cuernavaca (fly to Mexico City - also tons of immersion courses for Spanish)
Oaxaca - land of 7 moles - enough said
Puebla - Volcanos and outstanding cousine
Isla Holbox - fly into Cancun and take a shuttle - about 10 nm off shore, and a place to die happily
Isla Mujeres, Tulum, Coba - diving, ruins, culture, and AVOID Cancun

Enjoy your travels, and be open wherever you go.

So many nice places in Europe ... Depends on how much time you have, and how much you want to spend. Almost everything has been said.
South of France, Cote d'Azur is amazing,and Paris of course!
Florence, Italy.
Barcelona and/or Madrid in Spain.
South of Portugal is pretty nice too, in a couple months all you gonna hear down there is English and German.

And many, many other places ...

I think you must plan your trip based on where the European Badger & Blade members live.
You then make arrangements to meet them and try there Razors and soaps.

This way you have a unique insight into European bathrooms and razors.

Btw ... my suggestions were not meant to discard the Northern European countries ... I just don't know them that well myself, yet ... but I will.

Btw ... my suggestions were not meant to discard the Northern European countries ... I just don't know them that well myself, yet ... but I will.

:biggrin1: Well I supplied a picture of Stockholm in the winter...

I could have supplied a pic of our beach, but I think that would have caused a commotion on B&B. We live next door to the largest nudist beach in Stockholm...

True words ... you don't visit Europe ... each country is different. I do know Northern Europe well, but also there, the differences between each country are considerable.

I'm not sure what countries I would visit first, as an American ... maybe the UK and Ireland?

:biggrin1: Well I supplied a picture of Stockholm in the winter...

I could have supplied a pic of our beach, but I think that would have caused a commotion on B&B. We live next door to the largest nudist beach in Stockholm...

I knew there was much more than snow and ice ... :lol:

Now seriously, for what I have seen , the Northern European countries are beautiful, and full of nice people, I have dealt with many people from there and it's always a pleasure.

Top Bottom