What's new

Never been outside of the US, where should me and the girlfriend go?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I really want to go to Europe, but I think a full blown tour would exhaust too many resources and take a lot of time.

We really liked the history and modern mix of Barcelona, but we are very amateur when it comes to travel.

I don't have the time to read all 6 pages of this thread, so forgive me if I cover something already mentioned.

Try Quebec city. You know, up in Canada.

They have a very interesting "old city" that will take you right back a century or three, you get the "ooh how foreign" experience of a different language (and if you are polite, they all know English too.) If you want, time it with one of the big festivals in Montreal (Jazz fest, Just Pour Rire comedy festival, &c) and do both cities ... and a nice scenic drive around Gaspe to round it off if you like.

The couple grand you save on trans-atlantic airfare can snag you some nice upgrades in hotels and restaurants, or a few extra days of travel.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I would consider Mexico, especially the Gulf Coast or Bay of Campeche. The sleepy little coastal towns like Nautla, Guttierez Zamora, or nearby Poza Rica, in the hills. People are nice, but not all over you. Peaceful and quiet. Get a little cabana on the beach and let the surf sing you to sleep. Lay around in the shade (not directly under any coconuts that are ready to fall, though!) and drink beer and relax. Cost = peanuts. Do avoid the big cities and the border regions, though. Crime is getting really out of hand in those areas.

Brazil is fun. Thailand, too. Surprisingly, Cambodia is pretty laid back, and dirt cheap.

Like mountains? Austria. History? Hard to beat Rome or Southampton or Antwerp. Speaking of which, Antwerp is quite a center for chocoholics and cheese-o-philes. Spring is nicer than summer. Istanbul is great. One of my favorite cities. I have spent many an afternoon with a hookah in a cafe under the Galatea Bridge, watching the sun set over the mosques across the Golden Horn. You can literally spend days exploring the Grand Bazaar or the Spice Bazaar. Lots of cool old churches and mosques and a few museums, yeah.

Last but not least, a vote for the Caribbean. Right in your back yard, sort of exotic, great people, good food.

Laster and not leaster, New Orleans. Why leave the country, when you got a city right here with the best food, music, and culture? Stuff to do (or drink or eat) 24/7. Very historical, fascinating architecture, museums, riverboats, swamp tours, (don't pet the alligators, they are not particularly friendly... they just want your sandwich and don't mind taking your hand with it) fishing, all kinds of stuff. We got some crime, yeah, but the worst of it is in pockets and not in the quarter or the upper Marigny or Uptown so much. Lots of street entertainers in the afternoon on Royal street. Get a cold beer at Rouse's, sit on the curb and watch the bands or the acrobats or mimes or whatever. The food? We don't eat to live, we live to eat. Hard to find a bad plate of food in da City, but I would avoid Moon Wok on St Ann and Dauphine. Ate there 3 times in 30 years. Got sick 3 times. They say its better now but I got other places to eat. Lots of places deliver right to your barstool, like Quartermaster Deli for instance. Great poboys. Or Tolouse House, but their kitchen closes at 3. Monday is red beans and rice day. Best burger in the city, Buds Broiler. Port Of Call is nearly as good but you may have to wait in line, yeah. Lots of fancy joints like Arnaud's, Antoine's, Galatoire's, etc. but the food, TBH, is just as good in the greasy spoons. Everybody cooks good in New Orleans. You just don't get a waiter in a tux most places. Try to limit your time and money spent on cheesy Bourbon Street. Sunday morning don't miss the Jazz brunch buffet at Court of Two Sisters. A little pricey but wow.... crazy amazey. Incredible feast, good music and ambience. Try to time your visit to not be during one of the couple dozen various festivals every year, and it will be less crowded and more hotel rooms for better rates. Hit the Tourist Information Center and get the coupon book, and you will save a ton of $ on a room. Summertime, rates are pretty reasonable and you can bargain a bit. Travel light and book your room yourself, when you get there, unless you see something really good on one of the discounter sites like priceline or orbitz. I think you usually do better on your own, unless it is Quarter Fest, Jazz Fest, Decadence, Essence, etc.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Let's not hijack this topic lol... it got "anonimised" ;-)

Nothing we wouldn't do for our good friend Anders VanderNomen, who lives at 1752a Inconspicuoustrausse, in Utrecht, Netherlands, and whose Government ID number is 546 772 9791.

:wink2:

True, but if you think that three centuries is really old, you definitely need to spend a vacation in Europe ;-)

I like to think of Quebec as "Europe on the cheap" combined with "Europe on training wheels" for Americans getting used to international travel.

It really depends what you are after.

Switzerland is awesome, but it's best if you just rent a car and do your own research pre-tour and enjoy it as your own road movie, stopping when and where you want. Same goes for Sweden, although I'd say they are very different to what you encounter there - Switzerland offers IMHO more balanced culture/history vs nature (but no sea - only the big lakes) compared to Sweden, where it is mostly nature (for the regular traveller anyways).

France is awesome, enjoyed it thoroughly, but even that depends on where you go. Paris is wonderful, but everyone knows that. We did a roadtrip few years back from Switzerland borders through Lyon, down to Nice and then Monaco, and it was awesome - many cathedrals along the way, nice countryside, excellent food and wine.

Barcelona/Madrid is nice, with some research beforehand to see even those less popular (but as majestic and breathtaking) sites.

Czech republic, Prague namely is great spot to go. Being from the other side of the country I make sure to visit Prague for few days every year, it's really wonderful city with great history and feel.

We really liked the history and modern mix of Barcelona, but we are very amateur when it comes to travel.

Enough talking, thanks!

I have been to many different countries outside of NA (about 15)?

If you like Spain and its mix of history and modern, then go there. I took a bus tour a few years ago.

In high-school my German teacher said to take a bus tour of a country first. That gives you a good over-view of the country, its customs food etc. At the end of the tour you will feel more comfortable.

You can plan to stay after the tour, and ask the guides for adivice.

England is very nice. I enjoyed London and the museums, galleries and theatre.

Key thing is if you are willing to walk a couple of blocks from a tourist area you can find great restaurants at a cheaper cost.

Berlin is another great city, along with Prague. The list is endless.

Try a bus tour with extra time at the end.

Man, way too much advice here, I had no idea when I dropped this thread that it would grow to 6 pages.

I have been solid reading, too many places in my mind now, LOL! Guess I better start an intense travel fund.

I have not got my passport yet, so that is first, but I think Canada would be an awesome break in for me. I am being bias and stereotypical but I think Mexico is a bad idea, I hate the heat and the crime (according to the news) is out of control.

I think the top contenders are:

Canada
European tour if I can get private train booths and sleep when moving and enjoy each city when we stop. If not, then it will probably be Spain or England/Ireland/Scotland.
New Zealand, my cousin lives there so this may work really well.

I will try to respond with some quotes from everyone soon, lots of good info and funny stuff too!

Top Bottom