What's new

Looking for minimalist hints/tricks for new campers

Hey guys, I used to camp a bunch as a kid and haven't gone in at least 10 years. I just started again this weekend with my girl friend (her first time ever) and despite almost freezing in the desert, we are hooked.

I am looking to gather the stuff we need to go more often and wanted to see if there was anything that changed your camping experience you can suggest. The perfect stove, a sleeping mad suggesting, a tip for food, stuff to avoid.

We will 99% of the time be in Arizona, but more up north where it can get cold at night. Also we hope to be backpacking a fair amount.

I got all the cheapest/lightest/smallest stuff at walmart the day of to get us on the road and take advantage of her being open to it and we paid the price. Our bags were rated for 50 degree and it got to 28 (I am an idiot) and I'm looking for a warmer set for winters. But all of it was cheap enough I'm not afraid to replace it. The spot I need the most help is on food. I have nothing yet for prepping it, cooking it, and have no idea what would be good to plan around other then hot dogs on sticks, apples in tin foil, and beef stew cans in the fire.

Anything you wish someone mentioned to you sooner, let me know, no matter how random.

Ditching the tent and going with a tarp and ground cloth changed the way I camp forever. I'll never go back to a tent. There are so many ways to pitch it for whatever environment you find yourself. Yes, even in the cold. Except with the kids. Then we whip out the domed condominium. But I digress. Search YouTube for "tarp tent" and you'll find hours worth of examples.

As far as cooking, by far the best setup I've ever used is the stainless nesting set from MSR: http://www.rei.com/product/401120/msr-alpine-3-pot-set Some people will argue that stainless is too heavy, but these are almost paper thin. IMO, stainless is the best all-around camp cooking material. I've had that 3-piece set for probably 15 years, and it looks like new. No matter what you do to it, it always cleans up. The set stacks, so you can take just what you need and it takes up minimal space. Side note: you can flip the lids upside down and turn these into dutch ovens. I've done it. Works surprisingly well. Makes some nice biscuits :thumbup1:

As far as pack stoves... The Vargo or the Emberlit Mini (again, search YouTube). I have both, and it's hard to say which I like best. Both are fantastic. Just drop some twigs in, light, cook, enjoy. Nice size too, to make some coffee/tea/cocoa/pine needle brew.

Ground cloth - I use Tyvek. Same stuff you see wrapped around houses as a vapor barrier and used for light duty hazmat suits and mailing envelopes.

You can get it at home supply stores or on eBay. Mine has no logo, so easier on the eyes.

Incredible ability to block water and very light.

For stoves, you can also google alcohol stoves. There are many instructions out there for making stoves that burn denatured alcohol form soad cans, beer cans, cat food cans, etc. Very light and very effective.

Food - don't carry cans. Too much weight and water. You can get premade freeze dried, but it is expensive. You can dehydrate your own. Here are some ideas from Philmont (bug BSA place in NM that has 23,000 trekkers per year). Great menus for backpacking and stuff you can buy in almost any grocery: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/philmont/pdf/TrailMeals_BreakfastIngredients.pdf

Good luck and enjoy

I'll add a few things since I'm thinking about backpacking right now, these may be backpacking specific and not really needed if you're car camping.

I'll echo the ground cloth, I use a thin painting drop cloth folded in half to fit the foot print of my tent, and I carry a few chip bag clips to clip it to the edge of the tent to ensure that water will run under it if it rains.

My favorite stove is an MSR whisperlite international, I never camp above 11K feet so we just burn alcohol cans, my wife and I each carry one small can and it works for us.

Don't over look a pillow, we each carry a large size backpacking pillow for our heads at night, it is one of my comforts I insist on taking and the way I backpack it doesn't take up any really extra space or weight.

When backpacking we don't eat much for lunch or really breakfast, we just aren't hungry for it. We will usually make a pot of coffee since my second comfort I take is a french press, sometimes we make oatmeal, but usually have a granola bar or pop-tart. For lunch we have beef jerky, trail mix and crackers with peanut butter (pre-packaged) and then a simple hot dinner.

Carry a spare set of clothes for the tent to sleep in (unless you sleep nude) I usually bring a set of under armor cold gear top and bottom and a spare set of wool socks to sleep in that double as my emergency pair. This helps keep the tent and your sleeping back clean and smell free.

I'll often carry a set of converse or other very light tennis shoe to wear around camp so I can take my boots off in the evening, but not always if weight is an issue.

You'll need to go a few times to learn what you can do without and what you cannot. I used to carry about 60lbs loaded when backpacking in the summer and now I've trimmed that down to 26lbs. loaded with four days food and snacks for two (I'm still learning what less I can carry for our food stuffs), that weight is before water which I usually carry two or three quarts at a time so add almost 8lbs for a max 32lbs. loaded including the pack my jacket, my pistol and two spare magazines for it (I wear this on my waist so, but include it in the weight).

The things I MUST HAVE:

Morakniv Bushcraft - GREAT little knife....can be used for batonning too
Hatchet - firewood and shelter building
Fire-starters: Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline; Waterproof Matches; Dryer lint; Flint Fire Steel
Wise Company Dehydrated Food. A fair selection...high in sodium (most prepared foods are), which is okay if you'll be sweating a lot
Instant coffee/cocoa - Makes everyone happy
Water, or a water filter device
Spices - Get a multi-container. 6-10 spices in one device. They're really affordable.
Flask/Pint of Alcohol (multiple uses) - Also makes everyone happy...LOLOL.
MSR Pocket Rocket Stove (and fuel) - Great for 1-pot meals; not for a banquet
Titanium pot to cook in/eat from -REI has some great products. Become a Member to earn Co-Op Dollar Rewards
Sleeping Pad/Mat - Makes for a WAY better nights rest
Wool Blanket - Sleeping; multiple other uses
Wool Socks - Great wicking properties
Layers of clothing (change right before you go to bed, for warmth)
Tarp (2) - One for ground cloth/barrier, and the other for shelter/whatever
Paracord - Billions of uses
Leatherman - Classic multi-tool
High-lumen Flashlight (extra batteries)
Duck Tape (8-12 ft wrapped around an expired rewards/gift card)
Firearm/Ammo (if legal in your area, or in the park)
First-Aid Kit - "Be Prepared" (I was a Boy Scout too)

Lots of other stuff....but I could survive on that list. AND all that, plus a sleeping pad and tent will fit in/on a backpack.

Food Ideas:
If you're going to be active (hiking a lot), eat plenty protein and carbs.
Jerky; Oatmeal; Mac & Cheese; Trail Mix; Dehydrated Chicken (Wise Food, or other Brand); If you hunt, and it's permitted...have your license and get some rabbit, rattlesnake (watch the fangs, yo...), pheasant, quail, etc....Really, it's an open topic...take what you like, and what you feel like packing in.

Have fun; experiment; be safe; don't litter; and Enjoy...That's what it's all about..!!!!

Two words: camping hammock. Getting off of the ground changed my life. My knees and back always ached after sleeping on the ground. It's lighter, more comfortable, and useful in any season as long as you have trees to hang from. Staying warm in cool weather takes some additional gear (think sleeping bags that go over the hammock so you don't crush all of the loft beneath ya...the dreaded cold-butt syndrome), but it's totally worth it.
It's also neat to be able to have my full rig set in under 10 minutes, while the rest of my group is still finagling poles or driving stakes...

Awesome stuff guys. I knew it was a broad question, especially on a shave forum, but I got tons of good stuff here.

I was looking at the HH hammocks but I think I'm going to pass, as trees aren't always in supply here. But it looks pretty cool.

I picked up the Morakniv Bushcraft, as I couldn't argue with the reviews and price, and my pocket knife took quite a beating this weekend.

Now the two big things troubling me are the stove and packs. The stoves issue is knowing more has me asking a hundred more questions. I like the ones posted, and tried making an alcohol burner tonight. I guess I really can't go wrong with any of them.

Now I'm developing a bit of AD like shaving, as I've been looking at hatchet reviews for 30mins. It seems like it would be simple as a razor or blade....

I have never camped with a tent, mainly because when I have gone camping I always forgot part of it. Like the steaks. Or the tent poles. I think they make fancy pop up tents now but every time I have gone camping I sort of just passed out on the dirt. You can always wake up and shower the next day. I haven't been camping since college now, and am sort of posh and spoiled so not sure if I could rough it like I did back then. A sleeping bag and bug netting are nice. I would say a really good swiss army knife will work wonders and is more lightweight than a hatchet. I would never eat packed noodles, even when I was poor and starving. Dates and almonds are the way to go :)

Awesome stuff guys. I knew it was a broad question, especially on a shave forum, but I got tons of good stuff here.

I was looking at the HH hammocks but I think I'm going to pass, as trees aren't always in supply here. But it looks pretty cool.

I picked up the Morakniv Bushcraft, as I couldn't argue with the reviews and price, and my pocket knife took quite a beating this weekend.

Now the two big things troubling me are the stove and packs. The stoves issue is knowing more has me asking a hundred more questions. I like the ones posted, and tried making an alcohol burner tonight. I guess I really can't go wrong with any of them.

Now I'm developing a bit of AD like shaving, as I've been looking at hatchet reviews for 30mins. It seems like it would be simple as a razor or blade....

Things to consider

Stoves:
How elaborate are the meal you'll be cooking? Can they be made in a single pot? Will you be frying (need a wider/larger area for a pan)? How readily available is the specific type of fuel? WEIGHT (especially if your trying to count ounces/grams from you pack)? Will you be cooking in uneven surfaces (safety)? Do you want/need a wind guard? Dependability of the starter? Easily repaired in the field? These are just a few....maybe a good starting point....

Packs:
This is a HUGE YMMV topic. I like packs with MOLLE straps, and top loading. Whatever you choose, definitely take the time and try them out/on. Again, REI is great for loading up a pack so you can try them out. Get fitted for the right size...don't rely on the suggested size based on the manufacturer measurements. Just because it says it'll fit you, still try it out...you might not like the way it rests on your shoulders, hips, or anywhere else....

$image.jpg

This Fiskars hatchet has some good reviews.....Got it at Sears last Spring...I've been very happy with it so far...

My short answer will always be take the absolute least you can that will make it a fun experience. For my solo backpacking last year my total weight was 23-25lbs, including food and water. This year it will be less. Everyone has their happy threshold. You need to experiment and find yours.

My short answer will always be take the absolute least you can that will make it a fun experience. For my solo backpacking last year my total weight was 23-25lbs, including food and water. This year it will be less. Everyone has their happy threshold. You need to experiment and find yours.

Long as the least I can includes coffee and the flask mentioned above, I agree. I keep trying to see myself with a 60lb pack on a multiple day hike and cringe. Never mind the girlfriend.

It also is helpful as I live in an apartment for at least a year more and storage is at a premium for us. So if I can just pack two backs in the closet with everything that's a big win.

Ok chapter one,
there are three things you spend 90% pf your money on.
your boots, try on boots lots of boot's then try on more boots till you cant see boots any more.
take the ones that feel perfect, don't worry about how they look. because uncomfortable shoes will spoil your trip every time.
A good pair of boot you can walk to Nepal in.

Your sleeping bag, Get a good sleeping bag, and sleeping bag is not just the bag. its the bag and the ground mat. You loose allot of heat into the ground at night so a good mat it can be a closed foam mat or a air mattress, self inflating foam mattress, what ever you like.
and here is a video on how to improve your sleeping bag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UHoJwLiWs

I am not a big fan of Military issue its not always the best Quality. but the video make a valid points no matter what the bag's color.

your back pack again try them on bring a bolling ball with you put it in the bag and see if it pinches or rubs any place. walk around with the pack add another bolling ball.

those are the big three.

stoves and cooking Ill do later, If you can cook it at home you can cook it while camping. MSR whisper light all fuel burning stove it one of mine and works well over 20 years so its all right.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My friends and go to Michigan every year around Halloween. (Although it's been 2 years for me)
My friend has a family cabin up there and it does end up getting somewhat chilly at night. The cabin is heated only with a wood burning stove. I'd say thermal underwear were the eye opener for me one year. Just to wear them at night in case the fire goes out...and it always does.

A Kelly Kettle or Ghillie Kettle is a handy item, especially if you have the cooking rig that sits on top. Not the lightest or most compact item if you are hiking, but for car camping, it's perfect. Works with alcohol or wood or whatever.

So I am a bit all over the place. I was going to get a Emberlit Mini and a cheap $6 stove from amazon to try ( Ultralight Backpacking Canister Camp Stove with Piezo Ignition 3.9oz).

I already have a summer bags, but was going to pick up two of these cheap winter bags (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everest-Mummy-5F-15C-Degree-Sleeping-Bag/2581360 ) are they too cheap?

Also with boots, I was just going to use Solomon Speed Cross 3s. They are trail running shoes, but I like the idea of light. Is that a mistake?

Last up is a pack, which I haven't even started on, because it seems like a big step.

I already have a summer bags, but was going to pick up two of these cheap winter bags (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everest-Mummy-5F-15C-Degree-Sleeping-Bag/2581360 ) are they too cheap?

No such thing as too cheap. Much like most of the advice in these forums related to shaving... if it works for you, that's the bottom line. I'm sure these bags would keep you warm.

I will focus on one word in your thread title for a moment: minimalist. I pride myself on being just that. But in my experience, minimalist is one of the most expensive words in the English language. It doesn't mean you have to buy the top-of-the-line everything to be minimal. No, it means you end up buying 10 of everything until you've found the exact minimum that works for you.

Those bags from Walmart would probably be just fine. You and the GF will get many wonderful camp trips and memories out of them. But if you're truly a minimalist, those will definitely not be your last bags. I promise.

You'll start to camp with them. They're good enough, you'll say. But then you'll start thinking about the weight: 3.5 lbs! Surly I can do better. I'm sure I could shave off pounds (and later ounces). And the compressed size?! Whoa! I must be able to squeeze these bags down to fit <xyz> pack and still have room for <xyz> other gear. I must, I must.

And you'd be right. There is no more minimal substance on the planet (yet) than down. And the more minimalist it is (weight vs. warmth) the more expensive it is. This is reflected in fill-power (600-700-800-900 --> higher = warmer/lighter).

There are some who will argue that down is a terrible idea for a sleeping bag. When wet, it looses loft and therefore warmth. I say bah! But then again, it's never happened to me in the years I've been camping in the rain and snow under a tarp. If I did experience hypothermia due to a soaked bag, maybe I'd change my tune and start lugging around a heavier synthetic.

Do you ~need~ a high fill-power, expensive down sleeping bag right now? Definitely not. Go have some fun, don't break the bank. But stop by an REI and feel the down bags. Ohhhhh, they're so soft and light. And... it fits in THAT little sack?! :ohmy: If you and the GF stick with it, and decide you want to kick it up a notch, pick out a nice bag and 'hunt' it. That's what I do at REI. (Someone already suggested becoming a member, I would agree whole-heartedly!) I wait until the end of the year when REI sends out my dividend statement (6-10% back on yearly purchases) along with the 20% off one item coupon. Then I strike on my prey! REI's own branded bags are actually a good balance between quality and cost, IMO.

As far as sleeping pads go, I've had pretty much everything Therm-a-rest has put out. All fine pads. But these days I use a Crazy Creek 2.0 hex camp chair ~inside~ by bag. Crazy, I know. But it's the best, most minimal camping I've done. You can't slide off something trapped inside your bag. It won't develop a leak half-way through your trip. And you kill two birds with one piece of gear! Enough to make any minimalist smile :001_smile

So I am a bit all over the place. I was going to get a Emberlit Mini and a cheap $6 stove from amazon to try ( Ultralight Backpacking Canister Camp Stove with Piezo Ignition 3.9oz).

Also with boots, I was just going to use Solomon Speed Cross 3s. They are trail running shoes, but I like the idea of light. Is that a mistake?

Last up is a pack, which I haven't even started on, because it seems like a big step.

You don't need to break the bank, but get the BEST QUALITY GEAR YOU CAN AFFORD. You don't want to have to replace everything every few years. In regards to the stove, get one that is gong to be dependable. You don't want to trek out and not be able to cook (other than using a fire)...that would definitely put a damper on things.

Dont skimp on winter gear (including sleeping bags) either...hypothermia, frostbite, and death....not good things to deal with, IMO....LOLOL.

I'm not familiar with those Solomon shoes...if you're going to be hiking in uneven/rough terrain, you NEED ankle support...from boots.

Top Bottom