What's new

The missus gave me a green light: i'd love some feedback.

With an unusual tax return windfall: the missus finally gave me a green light for a straight razor with one caveat. I can buy only one and can only ever own one razor. So I don't plan on going a stepped route (e.g. sight-unseen WD or fleabay) nor do I plan to investigate GD razors for any excuse beyond learning to hone (at which point they'll be considered expendable).
I'd say price is a consideration (as always) but I've not made up my budget so I plan to keep it reasonable.

My initial reaction was to pick up a TI at SRD. The 6/8 Le Dandy has been staring me in the face for a couple weeks since I filed my taxes and got the buy-in on my plan from the missus. But, curiously, there are little-to-no reviews of this full-hollow TI while it's sales-mate, the 1/2 hollow 1937, seems to have a few more takers (or, at least reviewers).

So: now that I've spent far too long staring at the TIs at SRD and the Harts at CS... (Hart's price is a little harder to justify but not out of the realm)

I would love some open feedback guys. Is the TI a direction that I'm unlikely to regret or will I pine for a purple-heart Hart?

... And, while I'm not at all smitten by the Dovo, RA or other Germans, I'm open for any feedback.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Geez.... one and only one.... and that's going to be your first and last straight. I have to say that it took me a few straights to figure out that I do not like square or spike tips and that I REALLY prefer 1/4-hollow to near-wedges. That's like saying the you get to pick one kind of pizza from one company and that is what you must eat every day. What a conundrum!

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
That means all of the razors you buy in the future must have the same color scales.:biggrin1:

OR sent to the office or PO Box addy.

I think the only ONE idea is actually fair.( better make it a GREAT ......ONE!)
I am on the current search for the ONLY One as well..... It is fun to try to capture just the right specimen.

While I appreciate the ribbing related to my conundrum: I plan to be a man of my word in the near future.

I may negotiate new rules next year... but with a new baby on the way: it might be a while before I get concessions.

For those that pity the lack of variables: I still have DE razors and my SR1 to mix in. While not the same: they'll have to do.

I think your wife is wise and is giving you a great gift.
You do only need one razor. And she is letting you pick a good one. She is saving you the compulsive anguish of always feeling like the grass is always greener somewhere else.

I like her. Hang on to her.
She will simplify your life and enrich you with her wisdom.

For my part, I now have 6 DE razors, any one of which I would be happy to shave with for the rest of my life, yet I look for more.
I have 7 or 8 soaps and cremes of which I dislike only one. Any of the others would be good for life. Actually they are better than good, they are really outstanding.
I have 20 kinds of blades. 15 of which would be great if I had to choose only one.
I have two brushes and I'm considering two more. It is a sickness.

Your wife is providing a prudent cure. Love her for her perspicacity.

(and I love the idea of choosing based on scale color because you're going to have to live with that, Funny stuff)

Get a SUPER expensive one, which you can later trade for three or four others so that you can try different types.

If I were in your position, but had the knowledge I have now, I'd probably get a Western-style straight that had been made in Japan. IMHO, YMMV, ASAP, PDQ, etc.

Get a SUPER expensive one, which you can later trade for three or four others so that you can try different types.
If I were in your position, but had the knowledge I have now, I'd probably get a Western-style straight that had been made in Japan. IMHO, YMMV, ASAP, PDQ, etc.

Do you recommend a specific brand/style to look at?

---

So... Beyond looking at an expensive Japanese razor and either disregarding or thanking the missus: any other feedback? Related to straight razors? :p

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Not a bad idea on the Western style made in Japan. That might be all you need

Given your parameters, if it is within budget, I would get a Zowada carbon series. If that is still to pricey then I would not hesitate to get a Hart. I own both and either would be a fine choice for the rest of my life!

Only one???

Does that mean only one a month??

Anyway, you could do much worse than the Hart, but I've said this before, and I'll say it again .. The best value for the dollar comes from Aust or Revisor.

One is all you will ever need. I only bought one and a set of stones to maintain it plus the usual - soap,brush, strop. It works great and I enjoy my shave. Many will tell you need to try many out, and I will go against this. Buy a good one, which ever style you want .As long as you spend $100.00 plus it will shave fine. After that you just learn to work with what you have, and you will be a better shaver for it.

Yes if you plan to be an enthusiast you may want to try more, but if all you plan to do is shave all you need is a razor.

I prefer dovo straights, for no particular reason at all.

Ralf Aust razors offer a lot of bang for the buck. Bokers do as well. Once you get above the $200 range, one is well advised to take a long, hard look at Hart Steel and the Artisan Hart Steel Custom models.

Top Bottom