What's new

What's the deal with beehive brush handles?

I mean, is there a history there? Just doesn't seem like a desirable or "manly" form for a brush handle. Also seems like the tapering bottom end would make it less helpful ergonomically, like it would slip out of your hand...

BUT obviously I'm wrong, since so many of you out there have (or are seeking to have) a beehive brush (unless it's just another unique shape to add to the collection...)

So, please share, do you have a beehive handle? Do you like it? Love it? Why? Compared to other handle styles? Or am I just WAY overthinking this...?

Thanks B&B!

I do not have a bee hive yet., but will when the time is right. I like the Simpsons bee hive that is currently on their "LE" page. The hive looks unique. The ridges also look like it would help with the gripping of the brush. I also like the look of the Tulip handle. I saw in the Rudy Vey thread where someone wanted the PJ, tulip, and the hive all together and RV created a pretty awesome looking brush.

As as for the history of the design I don't have any insight to that.

I have a beehive brush and I love mine. I find it to be ergonomic for both bowl and face lathering. Aside from the few pink ones I have seen, most shaving brushes seem masculine to me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I too find the beehive shape to be ergonomically pleasing. I face lather 100% of the time and the ridges in the main portion of the handle offer excellent grip. I think a lot of it has to do with how you actually hold your brush. I tend grip the top of the main section with my fingers and the distal end of the flared section of the handle falls naturally into my palm, providing a natural feeling grip. Aesthetically, it is a unique design.

My only reservation about the beehive style handle is cleaning between the ridges. The ridges either need to be shallow or wide enough to easily clean. I would suspect closely set, deep ridges may present a problem with cleaning the handle if that is something the owner worries about.

Good input so far, gents, thanks! The one pictured below has an additional flare which would drastically change the ergonomics and "slippiness." I was thinking of the more barrel-shaped handles without the additional flare. Full disclosure: I have the opportunity to get a very nice beehive brush from a fellow B&B'er, and wanted some feedback and thoughts before pulling the proverbial trigger...

I have a beehive brush and I love mine. I find it to be ergonomic for both bowl and face lathering. Aside from the few pink ones I have seen, most shaving brushes seem masculine to me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't care for them. But I'm not a big fan of butterscotch handles either. It's a design that was made once and stuck I guess. YMMV.

Ben

They aren't my favorite, but the actually look like they'd be really easy to hold (I'd just grab it above the logo on NSmalls brush).

Somebody had a really cool custom recently (maybe a Rudy Vey?) That was a mashup of beehive and something else, that was one of the coolest brushes I've seen in a while. It had the grooves, but only on like the top half....

edit
Found it- It is a Beehive/Persian Jar/Tulip

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...rushes-and-Restorations?p=6052704#post6052704

Last edited:
I personally don't like the way they look. While I've never owned one, my sense is that it would not be very ergonomic. Obviously, many disagree given what seems to be the popularity of beehives. I do think believe shaverjoe made a good point about residue building up between the ridges and the difficulty of cleaning that.

I personally don't like the way they look. While I've never owned one, my sense is that it would not be very ergonomic. Obviously, many disagree given what seems to be the popularity of beehives. I do think believe shaverjoe made a good point about residue building up between the ridges and the difficulty of cleaning that.
Man, with my hard water, that would be gross

The handle is functional. The ridges help with gripping if your hands are slick. I have one and think it stands out in my collection. The unique design just stands out among my other more traditional shaped brushes.
View attachment 433831

The shape developed as a way of recycling Ivory snooker balls that were no longer serviceable. (or so the legend goes).

it is a comfortable brush to use. :thumbup:

Very comfortable to use, at least in the Rooney/M&F shape. The Rooney/M&F is the only one that I fins aesthetically pleasing.

The flare at the bottom locks it into the hand nicely.

Yes, but the particular one I'm considering doesn't have that flare...

Even so, I'm just about to go for it.

I put mine up in bst section because I think the handle is better for larger handed people.

I do like the ridges though.

Top Bottom