What's new

Newbie to DE shaving

I'm 56 years old and finally learning to shave like a gentleman. It's nice to know there are so many folks out there with great info and tips for me .

I find that wet shaving is my own personal ''me'' time to treat myself special and it's funny how quickly one becomes very passionate about it. I've already made a large number of ''converts''.

The first converts were my own family. My oldest son is at Texas A&M. He is also is in the ROTC and planning on getting his commission in the Army. He has a really tough beard so looking good and being properly groomed is important to him. Along with a new Merkur 23C as his daily shaver, I found a Gillette Khaki-Set from WWI that was new in the box. It thrills him to have a piece of militaria that represents a bit of a soldier's daily life from that period.

My youngest son is just learning to shave, so he is by-passing the chore of a lame shave with disposable razors. LOL! His daily (Every other day:001_cool:) razor is a Gillette Flair-Tip from my birth year, 1957. It makes him feel like very much like a man.

Even my wife has converted. She is totally amazed by how much better a DE Razor works. I am in the process of restoring and re-plating a Gold Gillette Aristocrat that belonged to her Father who passed in 2007. She cried when I said I could restore that razor to like new condition so she could use it.

As for me, well, I use a new condition Gillette Gold Aristocrat that I got from an Arizona thrift store for $75. Lucky me. :thumbup1: I also have a WWII Gillette Ball-Tip Khaki-Set, a few Fat-handles and Flair-tips. All of these wonderful vintage razors, along with a Silver-tipped Badger brush and Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Crème, make me look forward to my shaving time every day. LOL!

I look Forward to more time on this forum and will continue to enlighten others on the joys of a great shave experience.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B. Nice to hear that the family is involved. My wife still looks at me like I'm weird or something, but that's nothing new.

I discovered traditional wet shaving at Age 54, so I know where you're coming from. The Fusion and it's many predecessors made my face feel like raw hamburger meat and I couldn't believe how close and comfortable a DE shave was. It's really neat to hate doing something for 40 years and then get the right equipment in your hand and start loving it.

If you really want to take a walk on the wild side, do what I did and graduate to straight razors. Steep learning curve, but I really love using them now.

Welcome to B&B!

Hi, welcome, and great to have you here. I started DE shaving at 55, so you are right in your timing. Great set that you got for your son and cool that he gets to use a WWI set.

I haven't gotten my wife into DE yet, but I am trying.

Welcome Dino. Thanks for sharing that great story. I'm another mid 50's who just started wet shaving recently. I'm really enjoying it and hope to get something for my wife soon.

Hmmm, I would but I may have to draw the line at using a safety razor as I have an inherited tremor in my right hand. LOL! I'm afraid trying a straight razor would only advance the local emergency room doctors' bank accounts.

I'm 56 years old and finally learning to shave like a gentleman. It's nice to know there are so many folks out there with great info and tips for me .

I find that wet shaving is my own personal ''me'' time to treat myself special and it's funny how quickly one becomes very passionate about it. I've already made a large number of ''converts''.

The first converts were my own family. My oldest son is at Texas A&M. He is also is in the ROTC and planning on getting his commission in the Army. He has a really tough beard so looking good and being properly groomed is important to him. Along with a new Merkur 23C as his daily shaver, I found a Gillette Khaki-Set from WWI that was new in the box. It thrills him to have a piece of militaria that represents a bit of a soldier's daily life from that period.

My youngest son is just learning to shave, so he is by-passing the chore of a lame shave with disposable razors. LOL! His daily (Every other day:001_cool:) razor is a Gillette Flair-Tip from my birth year, 1957. It makes him feel like very much like a man.

Even my wife has converted. She is totally amazed by how much better a DE Razor works. I am in the process of restoring and re-plating a Gold Gillette Aristocrat that belonged to her Father who passed in 2007. She cried when I said I could restore that razor to like new condition so she could use it.

As for me, well, I use a new condition Gillette Gold Aristocrat that I got from an Arizona thrift store for $75. Lucky me. :thumbup1: I also have a WWII Gillette Ball-Tip Khaki-Set, a few Fat-handles and Flair-tips. All of these wonderful vintage razors, along with a Silver-tipped Badger brush and Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Crème, make me look forward to my shaving time every day. LOL!

I look Forward to more time on this forum and will continue to enlighten others on the joys of a great shave experience.

Thank you for sharing your story, like we all say at B&B " The family that Vintage shaves together stays shaving together"...
Thank your son for his military service too........... and Why dont you ask your family to join B&B, it would be a blast.

Top Bottom