What's new

Deodorant .which one and why

I generally use Degree Antiperspirant Cool Comfort due to its performance during hot Texas summers.

I have also had mixed results with Crystal Deodorant, but I found it works very well when applied liberally right after a shower as jpakstis stated. I sometimes waited a few hours after my shower before applying deodorant and this seemed to be the primary cause of my issues.

I had mentioned in my hall of fame post that I'm now being very conscious of what chemicals and toxins are in the products im using. One of the products that contains toxins are deodorant. Aluminum, Parabens, Propylene glycol, Phthalates, and Triclosan are some things that some studies have found to be harmful. I was curious as if there is anyone out there who has found a all natural non-toxic deodorant that not only works well but has a more "manly" sent to it.

Burt's Bees Spray Deodorant works pretty well for me. Scent is mostly from the sage and lavender essential oils. The herbal scent is natural and plenty manly.

I used to use speed stick as a teenager but it set my armpits on fire. I've been using old spice high endurance deodorant (not antiperspirant) for 20 years. It's long lasting and doesn't wear off by midday.

One thing I'd like to add regarding the alum sticks is that you need to spread it more widely than you would normal deodorant i.e. a bigger circle than you normally would.

Personally I found the crystal deodorant worked, but only for about 6-8 hours and then I'd need to reapply, which did not last as long as right out of the shower.

I also have the petal pusher bay rum deodorant. Works pretty well, but doesn't last more than 6 hours.

I've used tom's and did not find it to work well at all.

I'm currently trying a clay based one and another natural alum free one (urban cowboy I think).

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll have a little BO towards the end of the day, but like the fact that my shirts no longer have stains in the pits and I don't have to worry about exposure to nasty *** chemicals.

Trader Joe's makes a nice unscented deodorant - it includes cotton fibers for absorption.

I also use Every Man Jack (citrus).

Both last pretty well through the day.

I found this works very well. Cheap. Comes in fresh and unscented. No aluminum or parabens:
But using Petal Pusher Gorey's Neroli now which I like very much.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 217
The alum spray deodorant from IB has worked pretty well for me. Speick Men's deodorant stick works very well too, but has a very strong fragrance.

Many people are seeking better deodorants. And there’s no mystery why: most are overpriced cover ups or chemistry experiments which end up causing unwanted side effects, not to mention raising questions of health and sustainability.

I think most deodorants are scams, when a simple, centuries old, time tested solution is available for a fraction of the price of most deodorants. Potassium alum crystal, aka the same stuff as a shaving alum block. It's inexpensive to start with, and then lasts, and lasts, and lasts, and lasts. You don't get any simpler and cost-effective than potassium alum.

I've been using a 2oz crystal I got about a year ago for perhaps $3.50, and have consumed perhaps 1/4 in one year of fairly regular use. In the winter I find 15 seconds of rubbing the crystal rapidly on each pit carries me through a typical day and evening. In the summer, 20-25 seconds. You do have to invest that time and effort, but alum crystal is far more cost effective than anything else I've ever used. And it works quite well for me for everyday (office, school -- not physical labor) situations.

In extra sweaty situations or when I want extended periods of heightened protection, then I'll augment by using an all natural deodorant on top. Tom’s of Maine, Jason, Herbal Clear, and Weleda I’ve had good experiences with. A convenient, cost effective option is Arm & Hammer Essentials: cheap, natural ingredients, widely distributed.

Remember, none of this is about stopping sweat, whose flow should not be restricted, and is healthy and natural. Then again there are situations where I do use anti-persperants. But that's rare.

I've never experienced any irritation, and, actually, use the crystal as a mild skin astringent, antiseptic and analgesic after shaving and anywhere. You can also use it on your feet.

The larger, 4.25 oz crystal for ~$8 I find much handier than the 2oz for $4 -- it's a more comfortable size to hold and applies more rapidly. The 2oz is ideal for travel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THAI-Crysta...555?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e6aa054bhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/THAI-Crystal...item19e6aa054b

Last edited:
Another note to add about the Crystal. It stops the growth of bacteria under your arms but if there is already bacteria on your shirt then your shirt may smell like BO when your underarms don't. I have this happen from time to time so I will occasionally wash a load of shirts in white vinegar to kill any bacteria which may be on the shirts. This has worked for me. I hope this doesn't confuse the discussion.

I use a Crystal roll-on and for me, I like that it has no harmful chemicals, it performs really well and I appreciate that it has no scent since I'm pretty much no or low scent.

In my area, all Crystal products are branded pink are usually in the women's section. I'm not one for "gender branding" but the pink makes me feel a little weird at check-out. Looking at Amazon, it's looks like there is a men's crystal with grey coloring, it's the same product however. I'm not a product manager but perhaps a neutral color with "great for the entire family" branding would save manufacturing and advertising costs

I use the Crystal rock. Got sold on it when I spent last summer outdoors 6 AM to 5 PM and didn't smell bad. Nothing else works, even the stuff you can't wash off in the shower.

I'm a crystal user also. Over 30 years now. Got one as a Christmas present back then. The only time I've ever used any other type was for hot outdoor functions like weddings in July. So I keep a stick of something on hand.

Just bought 2 RR alum sprays from Italian Barber, One was a lavender scent, and one unscented, The Lavender is very light and a nice change, both have a bit of aloe also.

Is the Thai crystal the same as Crystal? I've tried the latter and found it irritating, so don't want to double-up on money wasted.

I got a stick of Degree "Shower Clean "antiperspirant couple weeks ago. Came in a manly blue container although, the scent smells familiar.
Looked it up and yeah, I think I'm wearing Women's deodorant. :blink:

I have been using Petal Pusher Fancies organic live enzyme deodorant since April and I couldn't be happier. I run quite a bit and most deodorant just cant keep me smelling fresh. This stuff is by far the best deodorant I have ever used. My wife even uses it. She loves Gorey's Neroli.$photo (2).jpg

Probably mentioned but I like Mennen Speed Sticks (plain deodorants, not the anti-perspirants). Original is my "go to" but there is Musk and a couple other flavors.

Top Bottom