What's new

This is why I don't let idiots borrow nice knives

Normally, I only let certain people use my nicer knives. A recent work experience has taught me why I started doing that in the first place.

So another guy at work - a bit of a moron, to say the least - asks if he can borrow a knife real quick. Unfortunately, the only spare knife I had on me at the time was my Para 2, but I lent it to him anyway. Not only did I have to ask for the knife back, I had a bad feeling about what I was going to see when I opened it back up.

I took the knife back from him firmly, then walked off. A few moments later, I decided to see what damage was done. There it was, dude just took a huge freaking chip out of the edge. Immediately, I asked him about it and he was adamant that all he did was "try to cut a string off of something" and that it, "Must've been like that already". Yea, sure guy, I'm sure that's exactly what happened.

My question is: What price range am I looking at to repair this damage? Obviously it needs to be completely reprofiled, but I still want to keep the knife. It's S35VN steel, not sure if that would be difficult to work with or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was he cutting, concrete? Sheesh.

It depends on if you want the knife to have a perfect edge, or you want to get as much use as you can out of it. Do you sharpen your own knives? You're going to lose a lot of years off of that edge if you take out the bad part. You could just sharpen it and keep on using it. You will eventually get it out over many sharpening. I hate seeing Para's with damage like that, those are among my favorites.

I have a knock off edge pro, and a pretty good strop, that I get darn good edges with. If you want to send it to me, I can work on it a little bit for you, free of charge.

EDIT: Jim beat me to it LOL. Offer still stands though

Legion

Staff member
I loaned a knife to a guy to cut up a goat he shot once, and he did it on concrete. Same result.

I had a coworker ask for a knife real quick and then use it as a pry bar to rip a sign off an office door. People like that need to have their knife toting chip pulled.

I agree. I had a coworker ask to borrow my knife. After he was done with it he proceeded to toss it on my desk. Not sure if he could here me gasp as it bounced across the desk, but next person that asks to borrow a knife is out of luck.

Man, that must have been one hell of a string. Like others have said, I generally do my own knife sharpening and bevel setting. I could get that out for you if you didn't mind shipping the knife to me in South Carolina.

a young apprentice asked to borrow my knife saturday,... I wasnt going to loan it to him but asked him "Who taught you the proper ways to use a knife" He shot me a "Uh its a knife, what the heck are you talking about" look, to which I replied "That look you just shot me, is why you can borrow my knife, those who watch over him laughed, one then replied "And why I dont loan you my tools. My pens, and my knives have a simple rule I live by which keeps them intact,...

Pocket, hand
Hand, Pocket
pocket, hand
hand, pocket

I dont lose them that way, nor does anyone get the chance to give me some heroic story as to what actually happened to them

Wow, didn't expect to come back to a bunch of offers to fix it for free! I'll need to ponder that one a bit. Personally, I don't like being the benefactor of a favor or free work without something in (your) return. Maybe the BST is a better place for this discussion. Reconsidering what I said earlier about wanting to keep the knife, if you like the knife and don't mind doing the work, I think I'd be willing to trade it for something of less value thanks to the damage.

Thanks a ton, guys. Now I know why I'm still visiting this site after seven years!

But yea, pens, knives and tools are three things that I only let certain people borrow. The ineptitude of your average human being when it comes to common things like these never seems to confound me :thumbdown

There it was, dude just took a huge freaking chip out of the edge. Immediately, I asked him about it and he was adamant that all he did was "try to cut a string off of something" and that it, "Must've been like that already". Yea, sure guy, I'm sure that's exactly what happened.
People not taking responsibility for their actions is a serious lack of character, in my opinion.
My motto is: "you break it, you fix it".

People not taking responsibility for their actions is a serious lack of character, in my opinion.
My motto is: "you break it, you fix it".

Absolutely agree. If by some strange reason i ever did something as stupid as that to a knife I would horrified. I would most definitely fix it or buy you another one. People just don't give a crap these days.

Wow. That's a mortal sin in the circles I run with. Maybe EDC a pair of safety scissors for folks with his...er...temperament...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wow, didn't expect to come back to a bunch of offers to fix it for free! I'll need to ponder that one a bit. Personally, I don't like being the benefactor of a favor or free work without something in (your) return. Maybe the BST is a better place for this discussion. Reconsidering what I said earlier about wanting to keep the knife, if you like the knife and don't mind doing the work, I think I'd be willing to trade it for something of less value thanks to the damage.

Thanks a ton, guys. Now I know why I'm still visiting this site after seven years!

But yea, pens, knives and tools are three things that I only let certain people borrow. The ineptitude of your average human being when it comes to common things like these never seems to confound me :thumbdown

Have you ever done something for a member of this forum? Judging by your join date, I would bet dollars to donut that you have. This place is full of gentlemen helping each other out. It doesn't hurt to be the recipient every now and again.

I'm 57 years old and for my entire life my father's first response to anyone who wants to "borrow" his knife is: "What are you going to do with it?". (Occasionally followed by: "Where's yours?"). Rest assured if there is the slightest question in his mind that the edge will be damaged, you stand no chance of getting the knife.

You have another offer to work on it for the cost of shipping it back to you ;)

Just saying. :D

I hate loaning my knife/pen/sharpie to anyone. i ask for it right back if I do give it up. I do like the line of 'where is yours?' Most people know to not even ask.

Lesson learned. Now send it to someone to get it fixed ;)

Top Bottom