What's new

This is why I don't let idiots borrow nice knives

"what do you want to do with it?"

"rip the top of the coke can off with it."

"here's my leatherman, that's the can opener. use it, not the blade"... "because I refuse to let you detroy the edge on it to make a spitter, when there're better tools suited to it." "then use yours." "go buy one."

the last stupid exchange I had, about 8 years ago.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I wouldn't trade off a Para 2!!:smile: The damage isn't that bad and Jim is dedicated knife-nut who will make it good as new. Or maybe you could join some Kitchen Knife Fora and learn to do it yourself?

I wouldn't trade off a Para 2!!:smile: The damage isn't that bad and Jim is dedicated knife-nut who will make it good as new. Or maybe you could join some Kitchen Knife Fora and learn to do it yourself?

Oh, I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself - and after some deliberation and finding out I have some free time on my hands - that's exactly what I've decided to do. Thanks so much for your kind offers, gentlemen. I was just worried that it would take a good bit longer than expected, but it's turning out nicely so far. There's not much spare time in my life lately, but I came across a free weekend unexpectedly :) I may put a mirror polish on the edge, too, just for the hell of it.

Plus, the Para 2 is a member of the first (possibly second?) sprint run of brown ones in S35VN. I may still trade it after it's repaired, though.

You guys have been great. Thanks so much!

followed by: "Where's yours?".

The crowd I run with doesn't have to borrow each other's knives.

Now occasionally I might ask someone to cut something for me. Then he's using his knife. Not me. And if he says I can't cut that, well neither could I.

String? More like aircraft cable.

x1 to what biggmikey1 says.

Ouch!, sorry for the experience.

The only person that gets to borrow my pocket knife is my wife...and the first questions i ask? "Where's your?" The girl was raised on a farm, she knows the value of a good knife

Just for this exact reason, it was cheaper and more peace of mind to buy a coworker an inexpensive slipjoint. I'm still working on sharpening out a chip on my skyline from several years ago by this guy. The coworker is long gone, but last time I saw him he still had his knife. Just a flea market slipjoint is all I bought. Cleaned it up, tightened the joint, sharpened it once and showed him how to sharpen it on the bottom of a coffee cup.

Might be worth it to buy a few cheapies to hand out.

-Xander

Just for this exact reason, it was cheaper and more peace of mind to buy a coworker an inexpensive slipjoint. I'm still working on sharpening out a chip on my skyline from several years ago by this guy. The coworker is long gone, but last time I saw him he still had his knife. Just a flea market slipjoint is all I bought. Cleaned it up, tightened the joint, sharpened it once and showed him how to sharpen it on the bottom of a coffee cup.

Might be worth it to buy a few cheapies to hand out.

-Xander

Exactly what I do. I go to gun shows and pick up these cheap (usually Chinese) lockback knives. Use em, abuse them, lose them, I don't care. I keep my good ones with me.

I carry a leatherman and a pocket knife, the leatherman gets loaned out and the knife doesn't, I've actually had to have the leatherman replaced due to a broken pliers jaw! Thankfully leatherman has a no questions lifetime warranty :)

On an aside, I've never heard of sharpening a blade on the bottom side of a coffee mug, is that done the same way one would with a small pocket stone?

I carry a leatherman and a pocket knife, the leatherman gets loaned out and the knife doesn't, I've actually had to have the leatherman replaced due to a broken pliers jaw! Thankfully leatherman has a no questions lifetime warranty :)

On an aside, I've never heard of sharpening a blade on the bottom side of a coffee mug, is that done the same way one would with a small pocket stone?

Yes. the coffee cup is ceramic and not glazed in most cases,

Hope the edge repair goes well! I too stopped loaning out my good knives, not only for the occasional damaged blades, but had more than one injured as well because they didn't pay attention to my warning that it's no kidding sharp. It seems like the majority of people have never used a properly sharpened knife before.

Hope the edge repair goes well! I too stopped loaning out my good knives, not only for the occasional damaged blades, but had more than one injured as well because they didn't pay attention to my warning that it's no kidding sharp. It seems like the majority of people have never used a properly sharpened knife before.

I'll never understand what some folks consider "sharp". If I can't tree top hairs, then it's not sharp enough for me. Effortlessly shaving arm hair is what I'm looking for when I come off a rough stone. I've even had some folks ask, "Why is your knife so sharp"? Umm...why does a gun shoot bullets? :lol: Because that's how it's supposed to be!

It is sad to see people not respecting others property. Something taught at home.

I stopped using my Zippos since people would ask to use them, and then play with them (or flip the cover back and forth). Specially attempting the "light on my jeans" trick. Usually they would do it the wrong way, and wear out the striker. One of the most difficult parts to replace in a Zippo, and renders it useless, since the spark has insufficient charge when struck.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is sad to see people not respecting others property. Something taught at home.

I stopped using my Zippos since people would ask to use them, and then play with them (or flip the cover back and forth). Specially attempting the "light on my jeans" trick. Usually they would do it the wrong way, and wear out the striker. One of the most difficult parts to replace in a Zippo, and renders it useless, since the spark has insufficient charge when struck.

No one touches my Zippos. For the record, Zippo will repair them for free.

Top Bottom