What's new

DE Razor Blades

I already prefer it a lot more than cartridge razors, just have to find the right blades. So far the 7 o'clocks are my favs

Get a small sampler pack. Shave at least two or three times with the sample blade. Once you get your technique down, no cuts,weepers or irritation. You'll be much more qualified to rate which blades you prefer. Don't change to many shaving variables at one time. Keep it Simple.

Feather then Israeli personna and derby for third. I don't particularly like gillette silver blue and Astra sp. I can get a good shave with any blade but the latter two just aren't smooth to me. I use a blade two or three times the. Toss no matter what. I just don't feel the need to stretch them since they are so darn cheap.

I will list the following blades in order based on which one is my favorite:

1) Feather (5 shaves)
2) BIC (4)
3) Shark SC (4)
4) Astra SS (4)
5) Blue Bird (4)
Dorco 100 (0.1)

Im still trying some out but so far Feather, Lord, and Astra SP are my favs. So far I average 3 shaves before I change blades but I have very course stubble.

Gillette Silver Blues and Personna Meds are my "go to" blades. I get about 7-10 shaves out of each blade. I have a beard though so only shave my neck and mustache area.

I really like the polsilver SI's so far.. Still leaning towards the 7 o'clocks though! Next blade i'm trying are the feathers and derby's

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My DE blades last 3/4 shaves and I'm mostly a "Personna Man". The only four blades I keep in rotation are:

1. Israeli Red Personna
2. US Medical Prep Personna
3. US Lab Blue Personna
4. Russian Gillette Silver Blue

The Gillette Silver Blue has been a recent discovery for me and I really love how sharp and smooth they are. Just ordered 400!

These are my favorites, especially the top four. Three shaves max. for me.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know anything about solingen timor blades? That was in my sampler also

Timor was the first blade I tried when I returned to DE shaving 3+ years ago. It was a good starter blade, very smooth, but I eventually found other blades that are equally smooth but sharper. YMMV, of course.

My personal observation on blades.
Over time You will try them all and find one or two that really work for you and will then consider all the rest sub par until...

1. Your favorite is no longer made or they somehow changed it.
2. You try a different razor and find it doesn’t perform the same so your off chasing a new blade.
3. Now I don’t want to hit this one too hard but…you get older and your skin and beard is no longer 18 years young…

Anyway congrats, your on that life long quest like me to match that perfect blade that worked back in 1985...

But seriously, this is one area I indulge liberally. Blades are cheep. I try almost all of them in various combinations with razors. Like some guys try soaps, creams etc until they got a whole cabinet full of stuff.
You could collect different blades at a fraction of the cost and store the whole lot in a small shoe box.

Have fun with it.

I use a blade two or three times the. Toss no matter what. I just don't feel the need to stretch them since they are so darn cheap.
+1
Some times I toss them after one shave, always after second. I could get more(I have when times were lean) and press it... but I just don’t care to deal with the possible bad outcomes because I wanted to save just a few $ over the course of the year.
Do the math yourself. Especially if you buy in bulk. then ask, would you pay that difference over the course of a year to have a clean, new, sharp blade every day avoiding all the bad outcomes of stretching them out. Years ago I decided it was worth it for me.

PolSilvers and Wizamets all the way.

pleasantly surprised to see all the PolSilver love in this thread because I rarely see them mentioned otherwise

Anyone know where to get another sampler pack that has a sample of personna in it? I cant seem to find one and i dont wanna buy them in bulk.

Top Bottom