What's new

DE Razor Blades

I know that this question can have a lot conflict and I will be told to just buy a sample pack which I already have....

I'm currently using a sampler from shaving.ie and I have an astra blade in. Switching to a BIC 7 o clock blade to shave in the morning with a few days growth built up..

So the real question I'm asking. Which blade do you guys personally love and how long do they last you before you swap to a different blade?

I've only tried 6 different blades, and the Astra sp's are my go-to. I change them after 2 shaves, but I do that with every blade.

Mine are, in order Feather (3), PolSilver SI (3), Gillette Super Blue (3) from sample packs. Results have varied, but all are good. I am considering ordering an EJ89 11 which will come with 5 Derby blades.

I like Vosdhok, Sharks, Astra SP's are okay. I don't use any blade more than 3 times. Feathers are okay, but I only use them twice.

I've tried Feather, Shark Chrome, Shark Stainless, Derby, and Astra Platinum. I always use them 3 times and toss them. So far, I think the Astra's agree with my face best followed by a tie between the Derbys and the Shark Chromes.

So random question.

The blades have 1&2 & 3&4 sides. Is there any particular way those are suppose to go? I assume 1&2 are suppose to be facing down? I just noticed this.

I'm giving the 7 o clocks a go in the morning. So far i like astra's!

I don't think that the numbers mean anything outside of the manufacturing process. They're for quality control.

I think the BIC is a BIC and 7 O'clock is a Gillette, but I am not an expert?

i have tried many, and I need to revisit them again as my two years experience has certainly enlightened me. That said, I am currently into 100 of each the Feather and the Astra SP. I use a blade for 3 and sometimes 4 shaves; I do notice by the fourth that the blade tends to tug more. I use milder razors like the DE89, 23C, and a Mergress long on milder settings. I have a corse but not dense growth and consider my face to be sensitive and it is very angular. The BIC is sharp and a bit crude to my taste. The feather is sharp but more welcome and very capable when given it's due. The Astra SP seems a little less sharp, but a little smoother to me. But as this forum so deftly reminds us, a good shave is very personal.

I know that this question can have a lot conflict and I will be told to just buy a sample pack which I already have....

I'm currently using a sampler from shaving.ie and I have an astra blade in. Switching to a BIC 7 o clock blade to shave in the morning with a few days growth built up..

So the real question I'm asking. Which blade do you guys personally love and how long do they last you before you swap to a different blade?

My bad on the typo. It is definitely Gillette 7 o clock.. I think i just assumed BIC from the color of the package they were in lol.

The blades of the razors i have seen are numbered on both sides of each razor blade. One side is 1&2 and the other is 3&4. I'm assuming that 1&2 is supposed to face down so the edge is pointing outwards? Idk i just noticed it a while ago putting a new blade in.

I haven't tried too many blades. Here is a list of my preferred blades:

Personna Med Prep (3 shaves) Just tried this blade and love it. I will likely 3017 it in the near future.
Feather (2 shaves) Possibly tied with the Med Prep. May 3017 it in the near future as well.
Gillette Silver Blue (3 shaves) This is a great utility blade IMHO. Not the sharpest, but forgiving.
Rapira Platinum Lux (2-3 shaves) This is another great utility blade. Inexpensive too.
Sputnik (2-3 shaves) This blade is very similar to the Voskhod, but slightly smoother for me. Inexpensive blade.
Voskhod (2-3 shaves) This blade is a little rougher than the Sputnik, but not my much. Inexpensive blade.

Feather blades are only good for 2 shaves on my face. Some of the blades are probably good for more than 3 shaves, but I toss them after the third shave. They are cheap enough that I would rather toss the blade than try to squeeze an extra shave or two out of it. Astra SP and my face don't get along very well. Haven't tried the Astra SS. I think they are plenty sharp; just a conflict with my face. I keep trying them on occasion because many others swear by them. I don't do well with Shark blades either. The Personna Lab may or may not be the same as the Med Prep. I don't have the experience to say one way or the other. I would say that I give a slight edge to the Med Prep. I have to admit that the difference may just be psychological.

I totally get the color thing regarding BIC and 7 O'clock yellow.

I am aware of the number markings, but I don't pay them any mind. As far as I know DE Blades are fully symmetrical. I have read that some people flip the blade in a DE razor, but not many.

Okay not a ton of experience with different blades, as I used whatever store brand was selling, for years.
But that all changed a month ago. Since that time: PolSilver, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue and Feather. I use a Muhle R89 (new) and an old Gillette adjustable that was my dads, and that I've used for 30+ years.

By far and away the best shave I am getting is with the PolSilvers absolutely perfect shave, I guess you guys call it BBS.
I also like the Personna and Gillettes, but just not as much. The Feathers...ouch, lots of blood and burn. I use a blade 2 or 3 times.

I wish I found these forums years ago, I had no idea wet shaving "was a thing!" as opposed to something you do.

Below are my favorites in order of preference:

Feather - Used at most 3X
Gillette Platinums - 2X
Personna Meds - 2X

The numbers were only for production- it makes no difference to the shave.

The blades I like best are as follows, and I use them for roughly four shaves.

Gillette 7 o'clock black
Personna Plantinum (red pack)

Top Bottom