What's new

Top 5 DE Razor Blades

It interests me that some members list both a blade that tears my face to shreds and a blade that works great for me.

That's just wacky​.

Is it the razor?

1) Feather
2) Personna Lab
3) Polsilver SI
4) 7 o'clock yellows
5) Timor's

To me 3&4 is a toss up depending on the razor I use.

In no particular order:
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows
Polsilver Super Iridiums
Astra SP's
Vintage Gillette Spoilers
Vintage Wilkinson (UK) Super-Swords

My "Top 5"

Personna Med Prep
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette 7 0'Clock Green Super Stainless
PolSilver SI
Viking Sword

Out of Production: Gillette Super Stainless-"Spoiler"

What are your top 5 blades

I started DE shaving about 5 months ago and I'm still trying several different brands.

I've been trying to figure out the same thing...what's the best blade for me. I started wet shaving about three years ago when my kids set me up for this addiction. They ordered a sample blade pack for me to try. Then I ran across this site....

I found it hard to believe that a particular blade would give different results in different razors, until I proved it for myself. Therefore, I read through threads such as this, noted the various recommended blades, and spent $54 buying packs of the ones that I wanted to try.

Now I have been taking a blade and rotating it though my several razors to see what works best where, and for how long. I made a little chart to keep track of my impressions. I've got months more to go before I get through them all with enough confidence to select my favorites. I''m sticking with the same C.O. Bigelow cream throughout. My goal is to settle on one or two and make them my "ones and onlies."

Check out this thread when you have time: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/393655-The-Great-Blade-Exchange?highlight=exchange. You might be able to save yourself some of the $54.

Like some others here, I've got a top 5 but it's more of a top 5 so far. Also, like Tromboneliness mentioned, I have seen blades I love with others that rip my face off. Either way, my top 5 so far:

1) Gillette Platinum (St. Pete made and also my first 50 pack)
2) Voshkod
3) Personna Lab Blue
4) Personna Red (Israeli)
5) BIC - Chrome Platinum

I've been trying to figure out the same thing...what's the best blade for me. I started wet shaving about three years ago when my kids set me up for this addiction. They ordered a sample blade pack for me to try. Then I ran across this site....

I found it hard to believe that a particular blade would give different results in different razors, until I proved it for myself. Therefore, I read through threads such as this, noted the various recommended blades, and spent $54 buying packs of the ones that I wanted to try.

Now I have been taking a blade and rotating it though my several razors to see what works best where, and for how long. I made a little chart to keep track of my impressions. I've got months more to go before I get through them all with enough confidence to select my favorites. I''m sticking with the same C.O. Bigelow cream throughout. My goal is to settle on one or two and make them my "ones and onlies."

Check out this thread when you have time: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/393655-The-Great-Blade-Exchange?highlight=exchange. You might be able to save yourself some of the $54.

Thanks and yea I'm still trying different blades. Got a long way to go. That's a good thread. Great info.

Thanks and yea I'm still trying different blades. Got a long way to go. That's a good thread. Great info.
Same here. The ones on the shelf are the ones I've already tried. The ones in the case are waiting to be tried out.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 126
So I'm still learning a lot week by week. There are a lot of blades in my stash I haven't tried yet, but the following are my favorites to date:

Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra SP
Shark SS
Personna Red

Generally, I seem to be able to adjust my technique/razor to make any of the blades I've used so far. Case in point, the first blade I used was a Derby that came with my EJ DE 89 I bought when I decided to go DE after my eldest son introduced me to the world of shaving brushes and soaps several months earlier. I've always had a good, but not particularly notable shave with that blade. My son also gave me tucks of both the GSB and Shark blades a few months back, both of which I liked right out of the gate.

I like the 7 O'Clock Blacks and the GSB's so much that I just got a hundred of each of them. Right now I'm trying the Blacks in a variety of razors to see where they best fit. So far the EJ DE 89 and my '85 Black Beauty Super Adjustable both give marvelously close shaves with them. I'm interested in finding out how well they work with my small collection of Super Speeds next.

Top Bottom