What's new

Shapton glass 1k bevel setter (compared to chosera 1k)

Difficult to compare to Chosera... very different. More of a "chalky" feel in the feedback, for lack of better description. Faster, less forgiving than Chosera. Effective and fast stone for an experienced user, IMO.

Thanks!

Recently discovered Chef Knives to go has their own forum, although not razor specific, tons of info comparing the Shap GS vs Pro vs Chosera etc. In case anyone wants more info.

Last edited:
So I got one, couldn't help myself.

My observations are that it is faster than the C1k, and indeed could cause excess wear if one was giving it a blind amount of laps. It also lacks that special feel the of the C1k, "chalky" was spot on.

It truly is a splash and go, I like my Chosera with a minute or so dunk.

I feel the Shapton Glass is better for kitchen knives too, as it feels harder. I've accidentally cut into the edge of the C once or twice with a curved fwd blade, don't see this happening with the GS, but we'll see :).

It's obviously much thinner and lighter, which helps with storage & holding the stone while honing, but for table honers, you will def want the rubber stone holder- or the things doc uses.

The back of the glass is indeed smooth, but isn't as slick as the glass I had cut for film. I will still try film on the back (once i'm done with my coti attempt), and see about the results...

I always thought it was a little coarse to be rated at 1k.
It's close to the 800x Chosera in that regard.

Top Bottom