What's new

Need a good Herbsaint or Absynthe to rinse glasses.

This is on my list for my next trip to the liquor store. Hopefully the savages around here will carry some. And bitters...

Lol! Had to go mail order after checking several spots. Knew I was in trouble with the looks I was getting! Anyway, the green bottle arrived today!

Need to work on my lemon twist, but there is a Zen to making a proper Sazerac at the end of a long week! Sugar, one dash Angostura, and three dashes Peychaud's muddled, 2 ounces Bulleit Rye added while a glass full of ice chills. Dumped the ice and coated the chilled glass with Herbsaint (Is it uncouth to swallow the excess liqueur?). Poured the Rye mixture in and expressed the lemon twist over the beverage and ran the twist along the rim of the glass. I tossed the peel in, but it looks like it wanted to crawl out!

Last edited:
Picked up a bottle of St. George Absinthe Verte the other weekend. Using it for cocktails and also for rinses, dashes, etc. Pretty great stuff! I'm happy to support a local business as well. I actually saw it in much smaller bottles the other day. While the price/oz is definitely higher, if you are only using for rinses it might not be a bad way to go.

Ben

It cost over $30 for the bottle. The online retailer was Randall's Wines and Spirits, but I think the site was internetwines.com (They carry Peychaud's bitters, too.). I happily would have gone local in a smaller quantity for what I am using it. A bottle of Bulleit Rye is $23 at my local ABC. The bottles of bitters are less than $10 a piece and will last forever. I use the Angostura bitters in Old Fashioneds, too.

Last edited:
Herbsaint also makes a lovely pastis that is perfect for hot, summer afternoons.
Been thinking about grabbing a bottle since last summer's trip to Paris. Pastis 51 from Ricard is pretty pricey. Might have to try the Herbsaint version. Thanks.

Picked up a bottle of St. George Absinthe Verte the other weekend. Using it for cocktails and also for rinses, dashes, etc. Pretty great stuff! I'm happy to support a local business as well. I actually saw it in much smaller bottles the other day. While the price/oz is definitely higher, if you are only using for rinses it might not be a bad way to go.

Ben
I saw a couple of bottles of absinthe at the ABC, but I was on a mission for the Herbsaint as it is used at The Roosevelt and at The Claw Bar. It'll be interesting to taste some other bottles. Thanks for the suggestion!

Top Bottom