What's new

Help picking a camera bag

I'm looking for a small bag to fit a Fujifilm X100s, as well as some tidbits from my pockets (flashlight, pocketknife, phone, wallet, keys).

The three bags I am looking at are:

The Ona Bowery $240 with free shipping
http://www.onabags.com/store/small-goods/the-bowery.html?color=antique-cognac#antique-cognac

$bowery_antique_cognac_lifestyle1_1.jpg

Saddleback Small Satchel in Dark Coffee Brown $308 + Shipping
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/roundsatchel?sc=8&category=301406

$CLC-SLR-SM-DCB-PS-SLC01B-1900.jpg

Saddleback Travel Case in Dark Coffee Brown $180 + Shipping
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/travelcase?sc=8&category=301406

$kellynolte-01-10-0008-MD-DCB-PS-20140219140645-01.jpg

Which would you go for and why?

If I were choosing between those three I'd go for the Ona, assuming that the leather is somewhat supple. I don't like the "boxy" shape of the other two and the leather looks heavy and stiff.

My own taste in bags runs to the Billingham line. I prefer the look of the material; am currently using an Olive Hadley Pro to carry a Pentax DSLR and one additional lens.

The Ona bag looks quite large if you are only planning on carrying a small camera and some bits and pieces. I'm sure that all three are good quality, if you can get your hands on the Saddleback models to check the size, one of those two is probably a good fit.

These three bags are appealing because they don't scream "camera bag" and I like legrandfromage's suggestion of Billingham as well.

If I were choosing between those three I'd go for the Ona, assuming that the leather is somewhat supple. I don't like the "boxy" shape of the other two and the leather looks heavy and stiff.

My own taste in bags runs to the Billingham line. I prefer the look of the material; am currently using an Olive Hadley Pro to carry a Pentax DSLR and one additional lens.

The Billingham seem quite expensive, plus I wanted a "rugged" bag. They look nice though, just not what I am looking for.
That is my problem with the Saddleback, they are expensive and heavy.

The Ona bag looks quite large if you are only planning on carrying a small camera and some bits and pieces. I'm sure that all three are good quality, if you can get your hands on the Saddleback models to check the size, one of those two is probably a good fit.
These three bags are appealing because they don't scream "camera bag" and I like legrandfromage's suggestion of Billingham as well.

Sadly Saddleback only do online sales, and shipping alone is $50 or something making these bags super expensive. If there are any other suggestions for a handmade small leather satchel/camera bag that doesn't look like one I am all ears :thumbup:

Thanks for your input.

strop

Now half as wise
I'e been looking at the Copper River Bag Company. Not sure about shipping across the pond, they look pretty nice. Sorry I can't do a link on this tablet.

Billingham bags are well worth the price made well and last a long time. I have one that is over twenty years old still looks great and serves me well

Take a look at Crumpler if you don't have to have leather. They are camera bags, rather than multi-purpose. Very well-made canvas bags that don't look like camera bags.

Was going to multiquote but it would be massive.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have looked at each of them but would still prefer a smallish leather bag.
Due to the availability over here towards the Bowery. It is significantly cheaper than any other US product due the 20% tax that gets added plus the 10pounds handling fees. Not to mention the $60 Saddleback Charges for delivery.

If anyone else can think of a smallish, rustic, leather bag that might suit my needs that be awesome!

Once again thanks for all your input, much appreciated!

if you don't have to have a leather bag, check out the small size Timbuk 2 messenger bags. They make an insert for them that turn them into a camera bag with foam cut outs and all that, but at the same time it remains a usable 'normal' bag for things.

if you don't have to have a leather bag, check out the small size Timbuk 2 messenger bags. They make an insert for them that turn them into a camera bag with foam cut outs and all that, but at the same time it remains a usable 'normal' bag for things.

This is what I've been using for several years now. I had it custom made to my tastes and the insert works great. However, if leather us what you're after I'm afraid I can't help you. Good luck!

If this were a poll, I would probably vote for the Saddleback Small Satchel. My reasoning is that its shape is taller and may provide more flexibility to carry different things over time. But if this is solely as a dedicated camera bag with big lenses, then the other two options might get the nod.

You are probably not interested in the styling of this type of bag, but I have seen different sizes of these tactical pouches from different manufacturers. Where the extra internal and external pockets makes it easy to organize and carry batteries, memory cards, sunglasses, etc. Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack

proxy.php

Top Bottom