What's new

Netflix/Hulu Plus for TV

Hulu+ has most network TV the day after it airs. Netflix has some network TV when the DVD set comes out. The major thing missing from Hulu+ are CBS shows. NBC, ABC, FOX and CW are all there though. Lots of UK shows too. For TV, Hulu+ eats Netflix's lunch.

It might be worth mentioning that Hulu+ has commercials... despite the fact that you pay for it. Honestly, that turns me off. I suppose if my only alternative were cable I might swallow hard and live with it. Thankfully, I get most broadcast networks OTA.

Not to derail this thread, but Ender78, how pleased have you been with Hulu Plus? Is there anything Hulu Plus has that Netflix does not?

I don't know yet I haven't started it. I will in May once I get the Chromecast thing going.

Adding it for now. I want to see if it is better than Cable TV... I have been keeping track of the number of channels I actually watch and it is 25 out of the 100+ so I think I am wasting a lot of money. Plus there are 5 religious channels and I don't like the fact that I can't take them out of my cable line-up. Never mind the fact that I am paying for them.

I cut my cable and now only pay for Netflix and internet. My costs went from $125 per month to $50 per month. I also get all the main channels over the air.

It took a bit of adjustment, but not a whole lot. I'd say that before cutting the cable, I'd have the tv on and not even be paying attention to it half the time. Now with Netflix when I watch something, because I have chosen it, I do pay attention more and enjoy it more.

For over the air channels, I mostly only watch it for news. As long as you are not a big sports fan, you should be able to get by without cable. You can get MLB and NHL season passes and watch those sports that way.

I stream Netflix via my PS3 and it works great. My Mom has a PS3 (actually my brothers), but she is awful with gadgets and uses a Roku instead. It's very, very simple to use. I actually prefer the PS3 because there are more menu options, but for someone who desires simplicity, the Roku is good.

I noticed Amazon prime has a wider selection of tv shows then netflix too. I recently started watching a few that Netflix doesn't have(Vikings and Hannibal). I think Prime is a better deal than netflix. You get the streaming tv/movies, 2 day shipping and kindle loaned books...all for $99.00 a year.

I may add Amazon prime if it is indeed only 100 bucks a year.

I quit cable 3 (yes three) years ago, and I couldnt be happier. I have a roku downstairs, and a xbox (that would otherwise collect dust) in my bedroom. I do netflix, and prime, no hulu- i really dont watch any of it. I also will connect my laptop to my tv via hdmi cable and watch any tv shows on the project free tv website. <3 SOA. I have 2 small kids, 4 and 1, and they have plenty to watch between netflix, and all of the other free chanels like PBS.

Pulled this up on a search for "streaming". Glad I did because I think you gentlemen may be able to help me. My mother is about to have her 97th birthday, and has thought about a blu-ray to watch movies (she anticipates not being able to go out much anymore). She lives in a retirement complex that has its own (limited) video system and a "guest" wi-fi network (my guess is not dedicated to each resident). Called Netflix this morning because I was wondering if that would work with a Samsung blu-ray that has built-in wifi. The representative suggested that for simplicity of operation (a must) I consider getting her a streaming player. Just don't know how well that would work off whatever guest wi-fi is, and have no clue how these things function. Help welcomed!

Pulled this up on a search for "streaming". Glad I did because I think you gentlemen may be able to help me. My mother is about to have her 97th birthday, and has thought about a blu-ray to watch movies (she anticipates not being able to go out much anymore). She lives in a retirement complex that has its own (limited) video system and a "guest" wi-fi network (my guess is not dedicated to each resident). Called Netflix this morning because I was wondering if that would work with a Samsung blu-ray that has built-in wifi. The representative suggested that for simplicity of operation (a must) I consider getting her a streaming player. Just don't know how well that would work off whatever guest wi-fi is, and have no clue how these things function. Help welcomed!

Yes, the broadband would be shared between all the users of the guest network. It really depends on how many users are on the network during her peak watching time and what kind of service the community has. As far as the function of network enabled blu-ray vs streaming...there's really not much of a difference. My Samsung Blu ray streams movies just as well as my Roku.

Yes, the broadband would be shared between all the users of the guest network. It really depends on how many users are on the network during her peak watching time and what kind of service the community has. As far as the function of network enabled blu-ray vs streaming...there's really not much of a difference. My Samsung Blu ray streams movies just as well as my Roku.
Bless you! My brother just relayed that he doesn't think getting her connected to the web (own line) is a good idea - would probably frustrate her greatly. And I am beginning to think that a blu-ray player might well be more versatile given that it will stream or play (blu-ray, dvd and/or cd). Might go that route. And the Samsung player I looked at (5900 I think) appears to be simple (this from a guy who cannot get his dvd player to connect with the tv, but that is another story).

Last edited:
You know honestly I would really consider have her own internet service for her use only. If you spend some decent money ($80 - $100) for a good router it will be relatively low maintenance. All of her devices (streaming media, phone, computer) will save the wifi password and connect automatically so there really wouldn't be any headache for her. I spent around a $100 on a Linksys wireless router and have 2 phones, 3 rokus, 1 blu ray, 3 tablets, and 2 laptops that run on it and I rarely have an issue. I have 4 to 5 devices sharing the wireless signal at once and everything is smooth as silk.

Bless you! My brother just relayed that he doesn't think getting her connected to the web (own line) is a good idea - would probably frustrate her greatly. And I am beginning to think that a blu-ray player might well be more versatile given that it will stream or play (blu-ray, dvd and/or cd). Might go that route. And the Samsung player I looked at (5900 I think) appears to be simple (this from a guy who cannot get his dvd player to connect with the tv, but that is another story).

I have a 15mb link and have run ROKU's since version 1 (I have a 3 now) running Netflix, Amazon and a ton of others - all work great.

You know honestly I would really consider have her own internet service for her use only. If you spend some decent money ($80 - $100) for a good router it will be relatively low maintenance. All of her devices (streaming media, phone, computer) will save the wifi password and connect automatically so there really wouldn't be any headache for her. I spent around a $100 on a Linksys wireless router and have 2 phones, 3 rokus, 1 blu ray, 3 tablets, and 2 laptops that run on it and I rarely have an issue. I have 4 to 5 devices sharing the wireless signal at once and everything is smooth as silk.

That leads me to several questions. I know that her landline is on Verizon; don't know what the other residents have. She doesn't have nor does she want a computer. She has great problems with her flip-phone. I would consider an iPhone (she believes she would like to see people when she talks on the phone) but learning the iPhone would be a giant obstacle as she would be on her own with it. Would an internet connection be possible just through her Verizon telephone line? And would it/might it be necessary for just streaming video? But guess that might be an unknown until we try it.

Agreed on hooking her up to a hardline.
It doesn't have to be frustrating if you don't connect a desktop to it.... you can take a notebook over to configure her router, and then unplug everything but the BluRay player.

I'm on a 3mb DSL, and when I was with Linkline, Netflix was great. Now I'm on Verizon and it is marginal at best.
Anything more than very light use of the PC results in frequent buffering... that in itself would be frustrating for her, but now you don't yet know the bandwidth available on her complex WiFi.
Take a notebook over and check Speedtest. If it's not a SOLID 3mb, don't even think about streaming video on it.
I've tried streaming video on Netflix from hotel WiFi when traveling and it just doesn't cut it. Might get through 15 minutes, then it chokes down and starts buffering every couple of minutes.

The integrated BluRay players are really nice, and they also do YouTube, Pandora, Hulu, and a number of other services.
The only drawback to not having a desktop on the line is the Netflix web interface is MUCH easier to search, navigate, and save movies to your queue, than via the player interface, which even for me can be difficult to use (mine is a Sony).

That leads me to several questions. I know that her landline is on Verizon; don't know what the other residents have. She doesn't have nor does she want a computer. She has great problems with her flip-phone. I would consider an iPhone (she believes she would like to see people when she talks on the phone) but learning the iPhone would be a giant obstacle as she would be on her own with it. Would an internet connection be possible just through her Verizon telephone line? And would it/might it be necessary for just streaming video? But guess that might be an unknown until we try it.

Verizon may or may not offer a DSL package, or even Fios, in her area.
If they offer Fios, that's going to be the quickest package she can get.
They will bundle her voice line with the data line... I'm paying about $60/mo for unlimited voice and long distance plus the 3mb DSL.
That compares to my previous plan which was $60 for internet access and DSL, and $60 for local phone service, with long distance (and local toll) charges on top of that.
I believe a Fios plan will be about $80. That will run fiber optic to a junction box at her home and then convert that onto the network cable.

Temporarily giving up on the idea. Verizon is not her carrier; Frontier is. I won't be there to help her, and even I do not understand half of what you folks are talking about. I am a guy with a DVD player hooked up to my tv along with Directv, and I cannot make the DVD player feed the tv. My brother is much closer but even now has to go over to her house to turn her car's air conditioning on. Just too many switches and settings!

John Parker, if you revisit the idea later, the simplicity of the player is a good thing to consider, Roku menu's are pretty simple and once channels are loaded you just click on the channel icon and the shows/ movies are there.

I spent half the day with my mom who has had several strokes and is pretty medicated, so I always try to work hard to find things that will be easy for her.

Top Bottom