What's new

Your best blade for Slant

I started using the Merkur Slant with Sharp blades for a few days.
Surprise !:confused: If the razor feels like a potential wonder, I can't get the close shaves I use to get with the Sharp/Gilette slim (#5) combination.
It feels like the blade is bending without cutting. Any similar experience? What is your best combo with the slant ?

A lot of gents are using the ultimate combo: Slant + Feather blades. It probably doesn't get any sharper. When I use my Slant, I do use these blades as I have a rather tough beard. This combo tears me up, so I cannot really use it twice in a row, but less sharp blades just won't "cut it". Other gents are happy with Derby blades or any of the other, less sharp blades. I would suggest you try them all out.

Best - MM

I've only used Merkur blades in my Slant.

Many find them somewhat aggressive (I do). I'm going to try the Derbys and Feathers as well.

I'd recommend a milder blade. There is no way the Slant is going to be mild either way. It will still give you a very close shave.

YMMV

Slants are reported (by a fellow user) great with Astra Platinum and Feathers. I'm still waiting for the new model with heavy handle, like the 'barber pole' HD ...

Anyone who said Feathers, YES!!

However, I find the first shave a bit rough with 'em in a Slant, so I usually "Break 'em in" with a shave or two in a HD or the Futur. Then I can easily get 5 or 6 more great shaves in the Slant.

I started using the Merkur Slant with Sharp blades for a few days.
Surprise !:confused: If the razor feels like a potential wonder, I can't get the close shaves I use to get with the Sharp/Gilette slim (#5) combination.
It feels like the blade is bending without cutting. Any similar experience? What is your best combo with the slant ?

I normally use slant & (feather | Derby), but also like the Sharp, which I got in a sample pack. I may even buy some. Preferences are presonal of course, but I found it a surprisingly good blade - even though I was probably predisposed to not like it compared to more expensive brands.

I gave the slant/feather combo a shot this morning. I only did two passes as Sunday is my day to let the face rest. The shave was very nice. I will give a couple more days, but all in all, I was very happy.

Feather works great for me, however many others like Wilkerson, Dorco,
Derby, Lord and others seem to work better in the Slant than my other razors.

I like Feathers and Derbys in my slant with the latter being most preferred. With that said, I've not had a bad shave using either.

Top Bottom