What's new

My first brush handle (A work in progress)

About a month ago, i acquired two vintage brushes. One was the ever ready 100-T and a Sterilized US standard brush, I took both knots out with the intention of getting new ones in there.

Then i remembered that i had bought some cherry wood blanks for $1 at the local Rockler shop a while back. And i thought of making a handle. So i started looking at handle styles and after hours of searching i settled on one.

I knew that it was going to take me a long time to do this, because i don't have a lathe. And the dremel that i have is one with a rechargeable battery, so i have to stop working on it to let it charge. But it's alright, it will pay off in the end (i hope).

Here's how i started:

I then drew the handle i was modeling mine after on all four sides of the piece

Using a dremel, i started the long process of shaping the handle out.

After sanding, sanding and more sanding. It started to take a better shape.

I bought a dremel multimax from a buddy of mine and it helped me sand the top part of it.

The opening measures 24mm, so i will be able to set a nice knot in it.

More sanding, and shaping. Dremel and hand sanding. Nowhere near finished, but i'll get there eventually. So far i've been using 50 grit paper to get the shape i want on it.

I can see that it's not exactly looking like the picture i drew on the wood, but it's probably as close as i can get it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Means a lot coming from you pros. I'm gonna see if i can find a cheap but good quality rotary tool, so i can maybe finish the rough sanding this weekend.

one thing i didnt notice is that this handle dwarfs all of my brushes.

Last edited:
Must be my lucky day today, i stopped at a garage sale and got a corded black and decker RTX for $5 (used of course)

So now i can continue work on the handle. But maybe i should hit up the antique malls and hope that this luck will stay and find a nice Gillette bulldog or an OC aristocrat.

edit: Tony, you're the man!

Last edited:
You did that without a lathe! That's epic! I just love that handle now. I don't even have to see the finished product, I know I love it. :)

I think the rough sanding is done, but i wanted to get you guys opinions. Should i change anything? did curving out the top half look good, or should i make it straight again?

Put a knot in there just to see how it looked.

Coming along very nicely! The lip in the middle seems a little bit higher on one side than the other; not sure if it's the camera angle, my eyes, or something else. Doesn't seem to be anything that would be noticeable in anything but a close up shot like these though.

yeah, it's a bit off. I hope it will even out after i start sanding with the higher grit paper.

Top Bottom