What's new

Kicking Myself for Error - Left my Brush at Home

Just want everyone else to share in my misery!

I'm in the Navy and we just got underway this week for training on an Aircraft Carrier. I had purchased my first tub of Tabac and got my razor and blades together and was going to break in my new Semogue SOC that I got off of B/S/T from a superstar member.

Got onboard and underway and unpacked my stuff ... I left the BRUSH at home! Horrible. So now I have another 10 days of can barbosal! :lol:

Typical me, but thought you guys would get a chuckle out of my misfortune. Can't wait to get home and get that brush going!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for your service and welcome aboard B&B.

Sometimes drastic circumstances means drastic solutions. Get you a small paint brush or a large artists brush(I don't know, do you even have art classes on board a navy ship)? Anyway...lets improvise.

Before brushes were widely used, barbers worked up lather in their hands. For loading you might try using that Tabac puck like a stick, rubbing it directly into your stubble. Let us know how it works out.

That is a bummer. You'll get through it though.

Thank you for your service to our country, and welcome to B&B.

Drastic measures is right! Maybe you have a few other mates that maybe brought 2 brushes? Or maybe a mate of the fairer sex that has a make-up blush brush?

… am I going in unchartered waters here?

Maybe the kitcen has a basting brush?

Good luck! Hope you find something that will work. Sorry, I was raised on a farm and too often stuck out somewhere all alone and had to make do with whatever was available, and too often it was some baling wire… hence the cliché, use some baling wire.

And thank YOU, and all your mates for your service!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I might actually be able to find a new paint brush. I'll let you know how that goes...great idea!

I did try my new Gillette Silver Blue today in my Muhle R89 and I loved it...even with the can foam.

Too bad the ships store doesent have new shaving brushes;-) talk to supply, they will have something. If not, head down to the corrosion shop, they have small brushes. Good luck.

I have no idea how big ships like that work, but if you have a commissary on board, check to see if it carries any makeup brushes. (I assume that's a long shot.). Those work great as travel brushes.

Your lucky to get a trade for such a new member . But that sucks about your new brush. Try face lathering with your hand.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just want everyone else to share in my misery!

I'm in the Navy and we just got underway this week for training on an Aircraft Carrier. I had purchased my first tub of Tabac and got my razor and blades together and was going to break in my new Semogue SOC that I got off of B/S/T from a superstar member.

Got onboard and underway and unpacked my stuff ... I left the BRUSH at home! Horrible. So now I have another 10 days of can barbosal! :lol:

Typical me, but thought you guys would get a chuckle out of my misfortune. Can't wait to get home and get that brush going!

If and when do you receive care packages? Or, since this is now an emergency...we Might consider sending you a Red Cross package?

Doubt you guys have any night vision systems of a size, but we occasionally use softer bristle shave brushes to clean dust and grit off the plastic bits, and get the grit off of small arms (canned air, too, if it is available!), so if the supply room doesn't pan out you may check with the electronics guy and armorer.

Though you won't get supplies in at sea, NSN 8530-01-578-1639 is the number from my old maintenance cheat book, which was a VdH looking deal with a green rubber beehive handle if I remember right.

All - thank so much for the awesome advice and it is always my pleasure to serve. Have been in 20 years and guess I should have done more of an introduction. I'm the Supply Officer so I do have access to alot of the stuff. Went down and found the softest brush but it didn't work out so well. Flop of all flop. So the brush is off to Deck department to help paint the ship next time we paint. Thought about the chopper for a second but definitely would get in trouble for that one. I'll try the hand lather tomorrow, but it was great with the tabac today...even with the floppy scritchy paint brush. So, no brush was harmed in the making of this experiment. :eek:)

I'm overall in charge of the ship's store, but we don't have our "deployment make-up" load out yet. Female cosmetic Make-up doesn't sell when off the coast of US but when we go overseas it sells. So no make-up brushes in the store yet. Making me wonder if some cheaper shaving items would sell? 5,000 captive folks, you never know.

Only another week, so I'll live. Lots of great folks and advice on the forum. I joined a few years ago and just lurked and then reset my password this month and have gotten back into studying and finding the right products. Really appreciate it all.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
All - thank so much for the awesome advice and it is always my pleasure to serve. Have been in 20 years and guess I should have done more of an introduction. I'm the Supply Officer so I do have access to alot of the stuff. Went down and found the softest brush but it didn't work out so well. Flop of all flop. So the brush is off to Deck department to help paint the ship next time we paint. Thought about the chopper for a second but definitely would get in trouble for that one. I'll try the hand lather tomorrow, but it was great with the tabac today...even with the floppy scritchy paint brush. So, no brush was harmed in the making of this experiment. :eek:)

I'm overall in charge of the ship's store, but we don't have our "deployment make-up" load out yet. Female cosmetic Make-up doesn't sell when off the coast of US but when we go overseas it sells. So no make-up brushes in the store yet. Making me wonder if some cheaper shaving items would sell? 5,000 captive folks, you never know.

Only another week, so I'll live. Lots of great folks and advice on the forum. I joined a few years ago and just lurked and then reset my password this month and have gotten back into studying and finding the right products. Really appreciate it all.

Salute to you sir.

Top Bottom