What's new

The most ungentlemanly thing you've ever done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that there are some things you don't want to talk about. Or that there are things you wouldn't want to mention.

But, in the spirit of fun, what's the most ungentlemanly thing you've done? Go into microscopic detail, if you want.

Yeah, I am not going there. "Don't confront me with my failures, I have not forgotten them," as Jackson Brown sang!

I suppose the cynical among us would say a gentleman is one who is never unintentionally ungentleman-like. <g>

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I always regret being deliberately rude to people. Even if I know they deserve it, it still bugs me afterward for not being civil or respectful.

Case in point: The other day at Walmart I had to return something and from the very start the employee I dealt with was just rude. Didn't smile, didn't make eye contact, did not even say one single word to me. Even after I was like "hi, I need to return this please" She just begrudgingly took my item and scanned it and did the return transaction and didn't say a word.
So after she gave me my cash she said "have a good day" and I walked away in silence.

I immediately felt as if I should have responded and that I was the rude one.

It's okay to be ungentlemanly, acknowledge it, and move beyond it.

One Sunday, at church, I was sitting in one of the pews and started to feeling sleepy. No problem, I thought; I'll just close my eyes, kind of like meditation. After all, they were just readings from scripture I'd heard before; it didn't matter if my eyes were closed. Sure enough, after the readings, I was a little more awake, and the mini-break made a difference.

A few minutes later, I was half-kneeling during the main service, and I heard someone coughing. I ignored it; people cough all the time, and I've learned to ignore it. Then, someone coughed again, almost insistently, and it actually got really irritating. It was like one of those "a-hem" coughs that you don't want to acknowledge, but almost reflexively make you want to turn your head. What's more, the coughing was pretty close. I closed my eyes and tried ignoring it. But wait...my eyes were already closed. A man nudged me on the shoulder, and the coughs were to subtly awaken me. Apparently, I'd been snoring, and not very quietly.

It was about this time that I stopped going to church.

As I said, it's okay to be ungentlemanly, acknowledge it, and move beyond it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A few times in the past, I've over done it by drinking too much in the public view ('in my cups'), and from what the Mrs. told me the next day of my sins ('put the lamp shade on...life of the party...the Mrs. had to carry me out'), and other transgressions.
a17.gif

I've learned to be more moderate and always ask the Mrs. afterward..."Did I make a fool out of myself (I hate to be humiliated and/or having 'lost' face),"
proxy.php

Guy Code;

1. A Gentleman should be able to 'handle' his drink.

proxy.php
"[Having a drink]&#8230; is a [neat] way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:
Four years in college and I'm quite sure I did something ungentlemanly at some point. Fortunately, I suppose, I probably wasn't even conscious of my transgressions. For that matter, I was probably unconscious at the time.

I've become much more tame and responsible since those days. About the worst I do now is accidentally mix colors with whites when I do the laundry.

Last edited:
I get it. I'm a funeral director and sometimes humor is the only way to keep your sanity, even in tragic situations, or we couldn't do our jobs.

I was driving my car down a busy street the other day, with a passenger in the front seat who is the undisputed, most gentlemanly person I have ever known. While driving down this busy street at 27-30mph a person steps into the road, on the opposite to which we are driving. I decide I'm continuing in my path, on my course. As we near the person crossing, the gentleman beside me says my name, to alert me of the pedestrian trying to make their way across. I say, 'ah they're going slow enough; they'll pass behind us.'
Only upon closer inspection, as my driver door window flashed past this poor dear's face did I realise that this was an elderly lady attempting to cross the street.
The horror swept over me as I realised how together, my actions and what I had said, made me sound as though I was deliberately not giving the right of safe passage across a road to an elderly woman.
The gentlemanly thing to do was to stop the car and in-so-doing the traffic behind me allowing the lady to cross the road.
The gentleman beside me simply laughed, at me.

The gentleman in the passenger seat is a man I truly respect and aspire to be like, with regard to gentlemanliness, my girlfriend's father who I have known for 4 years now.

Hopefully this one instance does not adversely colour his perception of me.

Ungentlemanly is open for debate since the mitigating factor is the provoking act. That said, I punched a guy in the jaw for calling my wife fat. Everyone called him "Glass Jaw" after that...we became fast friends later on... I should add that his given name was Joe, but we just called him "Glass Jaw"...

Last edited:
I get it. I'm a funeral director and sometimes humor is the only way to keep your sanity, even in tragic situations, or we couldn't do our jobs.

I agree. Dark humour doesn't count. How long would any of us last without relieving a little tension. The divorce rate's already ridiculous as it is, in our department. Done appropriately, in the proper setting, a little dark humour is just what you need to stay on the right side of the line.

Dark humour in front of the family, however.... yeah, that'd be a tad ungentlemanly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom