What's new

Beginner Golfer - Club advice needed

Good morning. As I've said in other threads, I was recently promoted to a low-level supervisor position at work. Well, this week, my Manager informed me I would be accompanying him on several of the company's corporate golf outings this summer... which means I need to buy a set of clubs.

I haven't played golf in over 8 years, and then, it was with dad's old hand-me-downs that were bought used by him decades ago. (read that as I know nothing...)

So, that said... anyone have any recommendations for clubs? I know I need to get fitted (I'm 6'4, so I know "standard" clubs make me bend over too much for comfort...), but other than that - what should I look for, what should I avoid, etc? Any brands or models better for a beginner than not? I like the idea of buying a "set", since I don't know enough to piece together a set myself.

Any and all advice on any of this would be appreciated. I think I'm more worried about being "duped" by a savy salesman that knows I know nothing!

Thannks.
Jason

Look for a store called "Play it Again Sports." It's a consignment store and a good place to get stuff like this without paying an arm and a leg. Also look at Craigslist.

Good luck with your promotion and your golf game.

I think you should be able to go into Dicks or any of the big name retailers and get fitted into a nice set of clubs fairly easily. You may pay a bit more buying new and getting fitted but its well worth it. Plus there are so many great prices on irons from every manufacturer. definitely try a bunch of different ones. The difference between brands can be quite huge depending on the feel you want. Do you have a price range you are looking to spend??? that may make it easier to narrow down your options.

Congrats on the promotion

Congrats on the promotion! If you have a good reputable fitter in your area that's where I'd start. A good one can usually work within your budget and even modify some used clubs to fit you. They can also be good at figuring out how much longer (if any) and what weight your clubs should be by taking measurements and watching how you swing. The good ones are also smart enough to know that you may not need a full 14 clubs. A regular off the rack driver isn't always a good choice for a beginner. Many would be better served using a shorter, heavier, higher lofted driver or a fairway wood off the tee. Many sets also don't have the hard to hit long irons any more. My longest iron is a 5i and I know some good golfers that go right to hybrids after the 7i or have a full set of easy to hit hybrids.

There are also some golf sites that you may want to troll for more info. I've been on freegolfinfo for years and it's not as crowded as it used to be, but it's friendly and you can get some good advice there. There are a some pro club builders and even people in the golf equipment industry on that site so there's a large knowledge base there.

Just my two cents, but I feel lessons will pay off much more than expensive clubs if you're trying to impress your boss. As for clubs check out a local pro shop/ golf store and look at used ones. Something a few seasons old can still be great and will be much cheaper. Also hit more than one place if you're worried about being cheated see if the info you're given syncs up.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just my two cents, but I feel lessons will pay off much more than expensive clubs if you're trying to impress your boss.

+1.

You don't "need" a full set of clubs, either. You can do very nicely with a putter, a 5, 7 and 9 iron, and a 4-wood. Remember, you're not trying to win any tournaments here, just be reliably competent so as to keep the game moving along. 18 drives of 150 yards down the fairway is much better than 12 drives of 250 yards down the fairway, 3 50-yarders, and 3 "god knows where ... somewhere in the forest ... hey guys, come help me look."

Do you have a store like 2nd Swing in Maryland? The one I visited in Minnesota had a huge selection of reasonably priced used clubs and an incredibly patient staff. You may even be able to take a lesson or two there--like Tim and Doc said, lessons will be much more valuable than expensive clubs.

Thanks for the help, guys. I picked up a used set from a local golf pro. He fit me for them and is also throwing in some lessons to get me up to speed. May not be the clubs I "wanted", but they get me on the course cheaper for now, and if/when my game improves, I can invest in better, more expensive clubs.

Thanks, again.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thanks for the help, guys. I picked up a used set from a local golf pro. He fit me for them and is also throwing in some lessons to get me up to speed. May not be the clubs I "wanted", but they get me on the course cheaper for now, and if/when my game improves, I can invest in better, more expensive clubs.

Thanks, again.

Very good choice, the lessons are far far more valuable than the clubs. I always tried to buy a game, with little success save an innate short game, until taking the first lesson from a pro maybe 30 years after starting out .. Golf, somewhat like shaving, seems to breed the better arrow syndrome .. but if you want, I have a set of 1969 Wilson Staff Bullet Backs mint ..

Here is some advise, I always make sure to show up an hour before my tee time. I may not be on the range or practice green the entire time but I am at the course and not rushing around at the last minute. I like to take my time getting ready putting on my golf shoes, going thru my bag making sure I have everything I will need. I do average about 30 mins on the range OR short game area before the round. I don't hit every club just a 7 iron 3 wood and Driver if I feel I need to. I am just loosening up and trying to get a smooth tempo in my mind for the first hole. I use all of my wedges in the short game area for about 5-10 that's where I feel I get the biggest benefit. Not every course has a short game are, that doesn't mean you can't find an open area and swing your wedges. I'm not talking about beating them into the ground and taking divots but taking a full swing and feeling the bounce. SO as I am doing all this most of the guys I play with are rushing around in and when they get to the tee box their mind is awash with a million things telling themselves don't do this or don't do that. All the while you're relaxed and loose and feel no pressure, in fact you can use that to your advantage. They will try to force shots, let them see you relaxed and prepared that will get in their heads. I feel that the first hole really sets you up mentally of the rest of the round. Just swing with confidence and a good tempo even if you get a bogey mentally accept your score and leave it at the green. When you get to the 2nd tee box start over don't take thoughts (it's hard not to) from the last hole to the next hole. That's cancerous to the game just move on and have fun. I could go on forever but I won't

Contrary to all the valid "Learn to Play golf " advice you are getting here, something else far more subtle is afoot...

"I was recently promoted to a low-level supervisor position at work. Well, this week, my Manager informed me I would be accompanying him on several of the company's corporate golf outings this summer."

You're doing more than just going out drinking beer and whacking those white boys around the course; you are engaging in a form of social event, one which may have a bearing on your career in a way. Hence, as one who had participated in the "Corporate Golf Event Syndrome" many times I will advise the following;

"Look good in the bag". Show up whth Dad's old Sunday bag and a set of pawn shop Kro-Flite irons dating back to the 60's and you are gonna be building an image you don't want to identify with. Go to 3 Balls Golf (online) for what are possibly the best ever prices on pro-line equipment in the golfing world. Equipment from 2-3 years ago is available for less than 1/2 of what it was new. Unless you're unusually short or tall, standard loft/lie will work fine.

"Look good on the green". Don't dress like a dolt. Pick up a copy of Golf Digest and see what the guys in there are wearing. I suggest stay on the subtle side. You probably will never have enough game to sport the duds Ian Poulter or Rickie Fowler wear. Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods, and Phil Mickleson (to name a few) have their sartorial game going on. Pay attention and then suit up accordingly. By the way...you don't have to go for the high ticket duds either (Ashworth, Greg Norman, etc). Your local Dick's or Target stores will have all you need at a reasonable price.

Don't drink too much (especially during play) and watch like a HAWK to see how the finer points are played.

Be dure to have the following in your pocket:
1. Ball Mark repair tool
2. Coins to mark ball on putting green (semi-exotic foreign coins are very cool. I use a Canadian Tooney or pre-Euro Irish 1 pound coin). Please DO NOT use the little snap thing on your glove. Oftimes it is seen as the sign of a doofus.
3. Spare ball or 2

By the way..these all go in the pocket on your NON-gloved side for obvious reason.

Now...go out there and bring that course to its knees!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom