What's new

FS Chubby - A+

Other "Chubby" style brushes I have or have had in my collection to compare it to are: WSP Stubby both in HMW ($185.00) and Superfine ($120), Simpson CH2 in Best ($179), Simpson CH1 in Super 3 Band ($185) and a Rooney Stubby 2 in Super 2 Band ($251.00). My favorite out of these is the Rooney Stubby followed closely by the WSP Stubby in High Mountain White.

Price - 10/10 - This customized brush cost $75.95 shipped from China. This is one hell of a bargain if you'll note the retail prices of the above brushes.

Appearance - 9/10 - This is actually a pretty little brush IMHO. I'm not very fond of the FS logo, but a little rubbing alcohol takes it right off. The FS Stubby is currently available in faux-ivory, faux-ebony or faux-horn all at the same price. I've read some criticism that FS forms their handles in lieu of lathe-turning them but I can't tell the difference in craftsmanship under magnification from the FS brush and a turned Simpson. The faux-ivory model (the one I ordered) is also lightly textured to look and feel like real ivory; a concept often left out by people labeling their product "faux-ivory" solely based on color. The knot is a standard bulb shape. It is light blonde in color with a thick black band running through the middle of it, indicative of a Silvertip brush. The reason the appearance doesn't score a ten is because the logo is ugly and comes off too easily.

Tips - 9/10 - The tips of this brush are as soft as any listed above. This really surprised me. The tips of the FS have both Simpsons and the Superfine beat straight up. They are equally soft with the Rooney 2 band and maybe a touch less soft than the High Mountain White hairs.

Density/Backbone - 10/10 - I custom ordered this brush at slightly less than the 2:1 ratio normally recommended for face lathering. I am quite certain that 2:1 would have been sufficient. I had read some reviews about the FS silvertip on here calling it floppy. This is just not the case with this brush. This brush gives the user that "wall of lather" feel that one looks for with a Chubby-style brush. Now, people can't seem to say enough about how the CH series' density is unmatched. That might have been true...until now. I will admit that none of the other aforementioned brushes (although close) are as dense as the two Simpson models I've used. This one is. Feel free to call me crazy. Call me a liar or just tell me I have it out for Simpson. I am telling you, I have these two brushes side-by-side and the density is as equal as my eyes, fingers or cheeks can tell. This brush is a winner for sure.

Flow Through - 10/10 - Again, right on par with all the brushes mentioned above...maybe a little better. Dense brushes with low lofts tend to be lather hogs. They generally use a lot of product and don't really want to give it back. Simpson brushes probably do the best job giving it back out of any...right along with my FS Chubby. It does use a ton of product, but it will give it all back to you during the course of your shave.

OVERALL: This brush is a real winner. Don't take my word on it, just buy one. Hell, it's only $80. If you are partial to Simpson, Shavemac or Rooney you are spending four times that on a brush. I had my wife blindfold me and lather my face with the Simpson Super and the FS Silvertip..... I picked the FS as the Simpson! I'm not kidding. Mr. Tang has really outdone himself this time. Just give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

*I should also point out that I am in no way acquainted with Ian Tang or affiliated with Frank Shaving. This review was written as the result of a very pleasant surprise.

Very nice thoughtful review. Could you provide a link to the brush? And of course:

$Photographs-or-it-did-not-transpire.jpg

When I first saw this thread title I thought it meant FOR SALE.

Thanks for the review ... I don't have any Chubby brushes, but I've been wanting one. This one looks like a good entry level choice.

I own an extra dense FS, and it's not even half the hair in a Simpson chubby. Probably not even a third. Got any topdowns of the knot of yours?

If I am spending $75.95 :a47: for a badger brush, it sure as hell isn't going to be a cheap china FS brush. FS brush quality is famously inconsistent and FS brush prices are not the cheap brush bargain they once were.

If I am spending $75.95 :a47: for a badger brush, it sure as hell isn't going to be a cheap china FS brush. FS brush quality is famously inconsistent and FS brush prices are not the cheap brush bargain they once were.

What do you expect to get for $70? The only other Silvertip brush I've used in that price range was a floppy Parker that shed like my dog in July. I would rather pay $70 for inconsistent quality control than $250. Simpson hair batches are notoriously inconsistent from one generation to the next.

I bought the bargain brush but I've also got the traditional, top of the line brushes too. I wrote my experience. I like the finer things in life myself but I certainly don't steer away from a bargain.

People who are unwilling to try something really shouldn't be so quick to knock it. Oh, and all badger hair comes from China anyway. The fact that the handle is turned in England has no bearing on the quality of my shave whatsoever. Please let me know if you find a better brush anywhere for $76.00. I don't think you'll find one.

What do you expect to get for $70? The only other Silvertip brush I've used in that price range was a floppy Parker that shed like my dog in July. I would rather pay $70 for inconsistent quality control than $250. Simpson hair batches are notoriously inconsistent from one generation to the next.

I bought the bargain brush but I've also got the traditional, top of the line brushes too. I wrote my experience. I like the finer things in life myself but I certainly don't steer away from a bargain.

People who are unwilling to try something really shouldn't be so quick to knock it. Oh, and all badger hair comes from China anyway. The fact that the handle is turned in England has no bearing on the quality of my shave whatsoever. Please let me know if you find a better brush anywhere for $76.00. I don't think you'll find one.

:popc:

I own an extra dense FS, and it's not even half the hair in a Simpson chubby. Probably not even a third. Got any topdowns of the knot of yours?
Mine has super sparse hair packing as well...

I also find the comment that Rooney Silvertips cost 2x as much since the Rooney 1/2 is only $99.99. What is the knot diameter on this bad boy?

I've never tried a FS brush and I'm glad that your particular brush worked out so well. At that price range, another option is a custom brush from Rudy Vey, Bob Quinn (Elite Razor), Peter Wolf (when he's not deployed), and other artisan custom brush makers. There are various ways to get great quality at a reasonable price.

Other "Chubby" style brushes I have or have had in my collection to compare it to are: WSP Stubby both in HMW ($185.00) and Superfine ($120), Simpson CH2 in Best ($179), Simpson CH1 in Super 3 Band ($185) and a Rooney Stubby 2 in Super 2 Band ($251.00). My favorite out of these is the Rooney Stubby followed closely by the WSP Stubby in High Mountain White.

Price - 10/10 - This customized brush cost $75.95 shipped from China. This is one hell of a bargain if you'll note the retail prices of the above brushes.

Appearance - 9/10 - This is actually a pretty little brush IMHO. I'm not very fond of the FS logo, but a little rubbing alcohol takes it right off. The FS Stubby is currently available in faux-ivory, faux-ebony or faux-horn all at the same price. I've read some criticism that FS forms their handles in lieu of lathe-turning them but I can't tell the difference in craftsmanship under magnification from the FS brush and a turned Simpson. The faux-ivory model (the one I ordered) is also lightly textured to look and feel like real ivory; a concept often left out by people labeling their product "faux-ivory" solely based on color. The knot is a standard bulb shape. It is light blonde in color with a thick black band running through the middle of it, indicative of a Silvertip brush. The reason the appearance doesn't score a ten is because the logo is ugly and comes off too easily.

Tips - 9/10 - The tips of this brush are as soft as any listed above. This really surprised me. The tips of the FS have both Simpsons and the Superfine beat straight up. They are equally soft with the Rooney 2 band and maybe a touch less soft than the High Mountain White hairs.

Density/Backbone - 10/10 - I custom ordered this brush at slightly less than the 2:1 ratio normally recommended for face lathering. I am quite certain that 2:1 would have been sufficient. I had read some reviews about the FS silvertip on here calling it floppy. This is just not the case with this brush. This brush gives the user that "wall of lather" feel that one looks for with a Chubby-style brush. Now, people can't seem to say enough about how the CH series' density is unmatched. That might have been true...until now. I will admit that none of the other aforementioned brushes (although close) are as dense as the two Simpson models I've used. This one is. Feel free to call me crazy. Call me a liar or just tell me I have it out for Simpson. I am telling you, I have these two brushes side-by-side and the density is as equal as my eyes, fingers or cheeks can tell. This brush is a winner for sure.

Flow Through - 10/10 - Again, right on par with all the brushes mentioned above...maybe a little better. Dense brushes with low lofts tend to be lather hogs. They generally use a lot of product and don't really want to give it back. Simpson brushes probably do the best job giving it back out of any...right along with my FS Chubby. It does use a ton of product, but it will give it all back to you during the course of your shave.

OVERALL: This brush is a real winner. Don't take my word on it, just buy one. Hell, it's only $80. If you are partial to Simpson, Shavemac or Rooney you are spending four times that on a brush. I had my wife blindfold me and lather my face with the Simpson Super and the FS Silvertip..... I picked the FS as the Simpson! I'm not kidding. Mr. Tang has really outdone himself this time. Just give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

*I should also point out that I am in no way acquainted with Ian Tang or affiliated with Frank Shaving. This review was written as the result of a very pleasant surprise.

I enjoyed your review of the brush. I must agree your points would have held more weight if pictures were included. I also own this brush and think it's a real bargain.

You can get a nice TGN finest custom in the $70 range, or not much more. You can reknot a vintage for well under that. And honestly, I don't think TGN finest knots compare at all unfavorably with the FS's. Now FS has improved a LOT since they appeared, but it's mainly in design, not so much in density or build quality.

I'd be very surprised to find out their Chubby's compared to Simpson's in density. It doesn't strike me as likely they improved that much in that area. If it is the case, I'll definitely be buying one, as that would be an amazing price for hair similar to TGN finest at that density.

$70 is a tricky place to buy badgers in. If you want a smaller brush, you have a few good options from the UK, as well as Semogues, but for larger one's you're basically limited to chinese knots in that price range: still there are dozens of makers who take these knots and handle them, and I don't feel FS is exceptional among these except for in the volume of brushes they make available on eBay compared to the other eBay sellers.

Ive been thrilled with all of my FS products. I have a Silvertip, Best, and a PurTec and all have been stellar - especially the price and every one under $50.00 and from China.

Pictures Please

I'm new to DE shaving and certainly not an expert on brushes. This is the first brush I purchased after joining B&B. It's a FS Silver Tip Badger with a 26mm knot and a 50mm loft. It had fourteen customer reviews on Amazon and received a five star rating. I paid 59.95 plus tax for it in December of 2013. I took these pictures today.

It's a nice brush. It holds lots of water, very soft on my face. Lathers hard soaps and creams well. It lost a couple of hairs during the break-in period. It's been rock solid and tight as a drum since. Since I've never owned Simpson's, Thaters, Parkers, etc., I'm not qualified to debate how tight the knot is packed compared to the competition.

I do know that all Badger Hair comes from China. Companies who assemble them in England,Germany, USA, etc get to imprint that boldly on the horn handle. I also know that labor is more expensive in industrialized countries. This makes the final cost of production more expensive.

Just from looking at pictures of the above mentioned brushes this one looks as good or maybe even better. I look forward to reading the comments from the members who know much more about shaving brushes than I do. Thanks for your input.

$p810130353-6.jpg
$p846915521-6.jpg
$p904049908-6.jpg
$p662175460-6.jpg
$p763831948-6.jpg

Last edited:
I am trying but I can't get tapatalk to upload the pictures. I wish I could though because from the top you literally cannot tell the CH2 and the FS Silvertip Chubby apart. Feltspanky's brush looks pretty densely packed though.

On to the topic of TGN being an option at the same price range: every single one of TGN's knots were assembled in China for one. Two: TGN does not (at this point in time) carry a knot dense enough to make a "Chubby" style brush IMO. I've tried. The Super Finest, HMW and Super Silvertip are all close but not quite there. Rudy Vey doesn't make a Chubby to my knowledge either.

That does look more dense than I expected, but the real test would be a direct top down pic, it's the best way to judge knot density from a picture in my opinion.

Pic is: Chubby 1 knot @ 50mm loft, Chubby 2 and FS Xtra Density Manchurian from two or three months ago.

And yes of course TGN's knots are assembled in China... (their boar aren't unless they changed sources though, and I'm unsure about their synth knots). But so are FS. I actually said that you won't get a brush this size WITHOUT using a chinese knot when I suggested TGN as an alternative. If you want a smaller brush however, plenty are available under $75.
And you're absolutely right, TGN doesn't have a knot dense enough to make a chubby out of. Their 30mm Grade A back in the day probably came the closest, but it still fell well short. They actually sold chubby 1 knots as "UK Silvertip" for a very brief time, and they were in the $65-75 range, though they were pulled ages ago (Vulfix decided not to sell them to them any more I heard). But I've not seen anything to suggest that FS has knots dense enough to make chubby's out of. That's why I'll be surprised if yours is indeed as dense as a chubby.

Attachments

• $PICT0037.jpg
    $PICT0037.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
That does look more dense than I expected, but the real test would be a direct top down pic, it's the best way to judge knot density from a picture in my opinion.

I agree: Maybe you can post an actual picture not a stock photo of a deep density brush. I can get a good ideal of what your talking about.

Last edited:
The pic above has a Simpson Chubby 1 knot and a Simpson Chubby 2 in it.

Here's a Rooney 1/2 finest. It's one of a handful of brushes I've used as dense or denser than a chubby. The other two I can think of were a three band heritage (Rooney) and a Shavemac D01 three band.

And felt, I'm not saying FS brushes are bad or even that you didn't get a good deal. I'm quite happy with mine for the cost. I have a hard time believing they are making them as densely packed as chubby's is all. And if they are, I really want to know it.

Attachments

• $PICT0040.jpg
    $PICT0040.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Top Bottom