What's new

lower neck irritation

stevensj2-- I admire your diagramming efforts :biggrin:, but haven't you switched aggressive and forgiving on the top right?

I don't believe so, but there is always that possibility :w00t:

What I tried to depict in the diagram (which I apologize for not being very detailed, I was hurrying - it doesn't show the comb of the razor), is this:

In the top scenario, the comb would not touch the face. It is 100% razor to skin. This would provide a very close shave, but also a very aggressive one, and is more likely to cause irritation.

The bottom scenario shows what it would be like if only the comb is touching your face. This would only provide a very light shave, but it would be more forgiving of pressure and have very low risk for irritation.

The middle scenario is where there is a give-and-take: both the comb and the razor touch the face. This is a sort of middle ground, where the shave is reasonably close, but safer as far as irritation goes. This is around 30-degrees, which many around here say is the "sweet spot."

What I tried to convey is that with a lot of razor touching your face, there is a higher risk of irritation, so you have to be VERY careful and use lighter pressure.

With more comb and less razor, there is lower risk of irritation, and it is OK to use more pressure, and that there exists a situation where an angle that uses a lot of comb and a lot of pressure can provide the same closeness as a more aggressive (razor to face) shave with less pressure.

I believe my wording/diagram would have made more sense if I used a more accurate razor model with a comb, and I apologize for any confusion.

Granted, I'm still a newbie, but I was under the impression that rotating toward the comb increases blade exposure and thus aggresiveness. Of course there won't be any exposure if the comb is the only thing touching your face, but until that point, you're hoeing skin instead of scything hair, or so I have read, which would seem to cause far more irritation.

Again, I am still a newbie so I could be wrong, but this is what I have gathered so far here on b&b.

No. Sorry for the poor wording (I was literally staring at my post for a matter of seconds trying to figure out the correct words :lol:).

Here is a simple diagram to try and explain what I mean (sorry for the large size).

The graph shows the relative closeness of the shave in regards to angle and pressure, as well as how the risk for irritation increases depending on angle and pressure.

stevensj2-- I admire your diagramming efforts :biggrin:, but haven't you switched aggressive and forgiving on the top right?

I am curious about the answer to this question as well. please help shaving gods. BUMP!

I have to second the concerns of some of the others......I think the diagram is reverse

+1. I like the analogy of how a plane (for woodworking) operates; the closer the edge is to parallel the less you cut from the material. That said, I think the comb/safety bar argument has some merit and I've never quite subscribed to the idea of a more shallow angle automatically giving a more forgiving shave. There's more to it than just angle: design of razor head, stroke length, pressure, prep, hair quality/quantity etc. Also, I really liked the look of the diagram.:biggrin:

No. Sorry for the poor wording (I was literally staring at my post for a matter of seconds trying to figure out the correct words :lol:).

Here is a simple diagram to try and explain what I mean (sorry for the large size).

The graph shows the relative closeness of the shave in regards to angle and pressure, as well as how the risk for irritation increases depending on angle and pressure.

My experience is that your aggressivenss indicator is reversed.

I find the diagram corresponds exactly to what I have found to be true for myself. That is to say that the more the comb makes contact with my skin the gentler the shave.

I find it much more difficult to control the aggressiveness by adjusting the angle of the razor from a starting position of the head parallel to my skin. I presume that if using this method then a gentle shave would utilise a very shallow angle with no contact from the comb of the razor. I have attempted this method but find that I either cut no hair at all or else shave too close. Perhaps I simply require more practice.

I believe I'm correct in thinking that the most aggressive angle a razor is capable of is when the comb is as close to the skin as it can be without making contact.

It seems then that there are two methods of adjusting the aggressiveness of the razor from this angle of maximum aggression. One is to adjust the angle from a position of the head being parallel to the skin, and the other is to adjust the head from a position of being 90 degrees to the skin.

I wonder if anyone uses both or what the advantages are of one over the other.

Start with the handle 90 degrees from the plane of the skin. As you roll the head over you will reach a point where the blade just touches the skin. In this position, the blade will barely engage the whiskers, will have a tendency to slip over them and no tendency to engage the skin. This will be the gentlest shave, but also not very close. As you continue to roll the razor over that bite on the whisker will become more secure and have less tendency to slide over the whisker but will also tend to engage the skin more. The range of aggressiveness lies between the point mentioned above when the blade just touches the skin and continues to get more aggressive until the safety bar or comb touches the skin. Continuing past that point will cause the razor to pivot on the safety bar and of course will lift the blade from the skin. With more comb and less blade you will of course experience gentle results and poor shave just as attempting to shave with no blade and the cap riding on the skin. Very gentle but no shaving is taking place.

I am having the same problem with neck irritation since I started using DEs. Its like a lot of little red dots. I started using sharp blades and it was limited to a small cluster on each side of my neck. Today I used crystals and its now all over my lower neck. Between this and my total inability to make lather Im getting discouraged.
Could this just be a too aggressive blade angle? or the blade? or bad lather?

Thanks

I am having the same problem with neck irritation since I started using DEs. Its like a lot of little red dots. I started using sharp blades and it was limited to a small cluster on each side of my neck. Today I used crystals and its now all over my lower neck. Between this and my total inability to make lather Im getting discouraged.
Could this just be a too aggressive blade angle? or the blade? or bad lather?

Thanks

do not shave against the grain, this is the single best thing i have done :) I use a merkur slant barberpole (39C) which is considered to be one of the most aggressive razors and i still have no irritation.

Top Bottom