What's new

Bourbon help

S

sullivanpm

I need a bourbon, that is not good enough on its own, to mix with club soda.
But not as bad as Evan Williams.
Any suggestions?

Plenty. Wild Turkey 101 proof. Old Grand Dad 86 Proof. Elijah Craig 12-year old. Old Forester 86 or 100 proof. There are many more good possibilities.

Tim

What about the ~$15 bottle Elijah Craig? or Bulleit Bourbon?

I'm partial to Rebel Yell as a mixing bourbon, it's higher percentage alcohol, and reasonably well tasting. In fact I usually pour it into one of my empty bottles of Maker's (I have 2 on my bar), and offer it to people I like, but don't like enough to give them Makers.

Wild Turkey 101++

It's my go-to bourbon. I nearly always have a bottle of it around, and only buy pricier stuff as a special treat.

On a side note, has anyone tried the Wild Turkey rye? I've seen it on their website, but never in a store.

Don't spend anymore than about $13

Evan Williams 1783
Wild Turkey 101
Old Forrester 100 proof

...is what I'd recommend off the top of my head

Now we're talking. Me and my ol' pal J.D. No fillers needed. Just past the teeth and over the tongue, look out stomach cause here it comes...:biggrin:

S

sullivanpm

Guys,
Jack and George are not Bourbon. They are Tennessee Sour Mash filtered through charcoal brickettes.

I picked up a 750mL bottle of Old Granddad for 9.99.
And a liter bottle of Old Crow for 9.99.
Thanks for all the recommendations.

The Old Grand Dad is actually pretty good on its own.

On a side note, has anyone tried the Wild Turkey rye? I've seen it on their website, but never in a store.

Yep...I have the WT 101 Rye as well as a bottle of Russell's Reserve Rye. The 101 I like a bit more...younger, more flavor and spice. The RR is kind of in between...doesn't have the young qualities of a Rye nor the older. Kind of in the middle. Not bad, but kind of like the RR Bourbon, a very smooth, not in your face Whiskey. Rittenhouse BIB Rye is another sub $20 bottle of Rye which is good. For a few bucks more the Sazerac Jr. is a great bottle.

I've got a bottle of "Sazerac Rye" that I picked up at the grocery in town. It's pretty good. I haven't seen the "Sazerac Jr.", but the only ryes I've seen around here are Sazerac Rye and Jim Beam Rye.

I've got a bottle of "Sazerac Rye" that I picked up at the grocery in town. It's pretty good. I haven't seen the "Sazerac Jr.", but the only ryes I've seen around here are Sazerac Rye and Jim Beam Rye.

Same bottle...the other is a Sazerac 18 which is a Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottling which is a limited annual release. The Saz is much better than the Beam Rye imho.

Guys,
Jack and George are not Bourbon. They are Tennessee Sour Mash filtered through charcoal brickettes.

I am well aware that Jack is a Whiskey and that it is a sour mash from Tennessee, I've been drinking it for 30 years which is longer than half the fellows here have been alive.

I was simply thinking Bourbon, why not step up to the bar for the real deal...:biggrin:

S

sullivanpm

I am well aware that Jack is a Whiskey and that it is a sour mash from Tennessee, I've been drinking it for 30 years which is longer than half the fellows here have been alive.

I was simply thinking Bourbon, why not step up to the bar for the real deal...:biggrin:
So I should have gotten Irish Whiskey?
:lol:

Top Bottom