What's new

Soap Of The Month Club (SOTMC)

I will be going to North Montana in July, so maybe Tabac will be my SOTM for July.

I would save it for "Tabactober". Then you'll have several guys using the same soap at the same time and it'll be easy to share experiences. It is a great soap though. I considered using it for May myself, haha.

Also, I don't know what the C&S 88 smells like, so my vote for May would be TOBS Lavender or Mama Bear's Honeysuckle. I would say those are probably the most spring-like scents in your arsenal. JMO.

Last edited:
I would save it for "Tabactober". Then you'll have several guys using the same soap at the same time and it'll be easy to share experiences. It is a great soap though. I considered using it for May myself, haha.

Also, I don't know what the C&S 88 smells like, so my vote for May would be TOBS Lavender or Mama Bear's Honeysuckle. I would say those are probably the most spring-like scents in your arsenal. JMO.

In addition to my previous post, since trading my proposed soap for May, I might need a little help picking a new one out myself. I'm having a rough time choosing between the following:

Stirling Nag Champa
TOBS Lavender
Pre de Provence
PPF Oakmoss & Sage (which seems to be a much more subtle version of the PdP scent)
Top Secret
RazoRock XXX (original formula, in the black tub)

I was initially set on the Nag Champa, as this is a scent I specifically asked Rod to make for me. However, I'm not sure it is a very "spring-like" scent. But then again, I'm not sure it really fits into any of the seasonal scent categories. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

In addition to my previous post, since trading my proposed soap for May, I might need a little help picking a new one out myself. I'm having a rough time choosing between the following:

Stirling Nag Champa
TOBS Lavender
Pre de Provence
PPF Oakmoss & Sage (which seems to be a much more subtle version of the PdP scent)
Top Secret
RazoRock XXX (original formula, in the black tub)

I was initially set on the Nag Champa, as this is a scent I specifically asked Rod to make for me. However, I'm not sure it is a very "spring-like" scent. But then again, I'm not sure it really fits into any of the seasonal scent categories. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oakmoss & Sage! Lol.

It's funny because I mostly get lost on the changing of the seasons and scents to match because our climate is so moderate. We notice the change of seasons, but in different ways than folks in other climates. I was thinking that maybe I would take the TOBS Lavender for July, so that I only have to pack one soap as my wife enjoys this one as well. Then I could go with Mamma Bear Honeysuckle or C&S 88 for May & June. (I might have to sit out one month due to a soap box passaround that should be coming in June). That would leave Tabac for Tabactober and I would still have plenty of choices to fill in the rest of the year. Ahh. Decisions, decisions...

PS. That Oakmoss & Sage sounds interesting and I've heard fantastic things about PPF. I have't tried any of those listed except for the TOBS Lavender of course, so they would all be something new to me.

Oh. One more rule clarification. Can we lather other soaps as long as we don't shave with said soap?

It's funny because I mostly get lost on the changing of the seasons and scents to match because our climate is so moderate. We notice the change of seasons, but in different ways than folks in other climates. I was thinking that maybe I would take the TOBS Lavender for July, so that I only have to pack one soap as my wife enjoys this one as well. Then I could go with Mamma Bear Honeysuckle or C&S 88 for May & June. (I might have to sit out one month due to a soap box passaround that should be coming in June). That would leave Tabac for Tabactober and I would still have plenty of choices to fill in the rest of the year. Ahh. Decisions, decisions...

PS. That Oakmoss & Sage sounds interesting and I've heard fantastic things about PPF. I have't tried any of those listed except for the TOBS Lavender of course, so they would all be something new
Oh. One more rule clarification. Can we lather other soaps as long as we don't shave with said soap?

That's fine. As long as you're not shaving with it.

I might have to sit out one month due to a soap box passaround that should be coming in June.

I thought I recognized you username when you first posted here, then when you mentioned Hawaii, I put it together with the never ending passaround thread. I have been following that thread since it started, its a very fun thread to follow and the whole thing is functioning unbelievably well.

I thought I recognized you username when you first posted here, then when you mentioned Hawaii, I put it together with the never ending passaround thread. I have been following that thread since it started, its a very fun thread to follow and the whole thing is functioning unbelievably well.
Great to get some recognition. That thread has been incredible and the passaround has been crazy smooth. It will soon come to a close for the first pass and another pass will start soon after. In fact there will probably be at least one of the soaps that I listed going into the second passaround box. That also led me to the lather question since I'll need to evaluate the soaps prior to choosing. You should get in on the second pass. It really was like Christmas all over again when opening the box!

Ok, so my SAD has given me another problem...

I was having enough trouble trying to figure out what soap to use for May, but I thought I had it pretty much figured out - until today. I just received a tin of the Blades Grim "Smolder", and it might be the most delicious, enticing, sexy scent I've ever smelled. So now I'm back where I started...

So I'm still going strong with the Proraso White. Now what to use for May, TOBS Avocado, Razorock Captains Choice, CO Bigelow, Beersoapshaving company Irish Stout? Any thoughts?

So I'm still going strong with the Proraso White. Now what to use for May, TOBS Avocado, Razorock Captains Choice, CO Bigelow, Beersoapshaving company Irish Stout? Any thoughts?

You can never go wrong with TOBS Avocado. May weather seems to sound like a good pair with it.

Ok, so my SAD has given me another problem...

I was having enough trouble trying to figure out what soap to use for May, but I thought I had it pretty much figured out - until today. I just received a tin of the Blades Grim "Smolder", and it might be the most delicious, enticing, sexy scent I've ever smelled. So now I'm back where I started...

Smolder sounds AMAZING!

Chris,

If you think you could do Smolder for a month, I think that would be really cool. These solid stints of one soap often result in really good reviews of the product. Since Smolder is so new, I'm sure people would be interested in your take on it after a month of use. Of course you have to feel good about the decision, but if you think you might like it you could use it the first two days of the month and then decide.

I'm likely going to use it on the first to see if the performance matches the scent.

As much as I'd love to use it, I'm thinking its better as a fall/winter soap as its a very heavy, sweet kind of scent. Man is it a great scent though.

I'm choosing Stirling Glacial for May! First will be a sample of Wintergreen and then I am going to move right into the Spearmint. I am ready to get off of the Godrej cream. It is nice, but, I think I like a soap just a bit better.

mightyeskimo
I'm in for May
Soap: Tabac
Attempts: 1
Completions: 0
Fails: 0
Consecutive Months: 0
Months Skipped: 0

I actually started this soap today. My Stealth will arrive this afternoon and, in accordance with my testing of this razor, I wanted to choose a soap that I could use for a month straight. I don't think I could have made a better choice. Tabac is awesome for me!

mightyeskimo
I'm in for May
Soap: Tabac
Attempts: 1
Completions: 0
Fails: 0
Consecutive Months: 0
Months Skipped: 0

Sounds good. I'll note your registration. Just so you know, if you happen to change your mind on the soap you can still change it up to the 3rd of May.

Also if you can, throw this registration up again on the 1st so we can see who is in without having to look back at posts.

Last edited:
$image.jpgI got to use my newly acquired Gillette Goodwill today. I think I'm in love. What an awesome razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom