$image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 140
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 135
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 141
Welcome to B&B Brian. The announcement of 4 British Single Rings is certainly a grand entry to the forum. If you are uncetain about how to add your examples to the Wiki I would be happy to do that for you if you post the appropriate details. The Wiki is here:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_England_Dating_Information

The example that you posted above is the highest E Series serial number so far and the only combination set so far. Does it have the British patent underneath the box? Three more example will give you the honour of being the highest contributer to this Wiki.

I notice that you live at Sheffield, home of the great British straight razor, and only about 65 miles from Leicester. Heaven for a razor collector.

Cheers, George

Hello George,
The Combination set doesn't have any patent info on the bottom of the case it's just plain.
This razor came from an ebay seller in the Newcastle area of the UK.
Living in Sheffield there's straight razors in the Antique shops, nothing much shows up made by Gillette.
Leicester's not too far away a good hours drive from me.
If you could add the razor to the wiki please.
I'll get a photo and details up of the other 3 next :thumbup:

proxy.php

Razor 1 in Leather case.

Serial no E156644 stamped on the outer barrel above the knob
BR.PAT.NO28763.02 Stamped around the inner barrel
Double Gillette Diamond logo stamped inside the head (on cap and guard plate)
Instruction booklet
Gillette Diamond known the world over printed inside the case lid
Limited license details printed on the bottom outside of the case
Metal blade boxes with match striker
Bought from an ebay seller in Wales
No G in D marks

Razor 2 in Metal case

Serial no H014236 stamped on the inside of the guard plate
BR.PAT.NO28763.02 Stamped around the outer barrel above the knob
No Gillette diamond stampings anywhere on the razor
Gillette Diamond known the world over printed inside the case lid
Gillette patent dates engraved/stamped on the bottom of the case plus square stamped with GREAT BRITAIN PATENT No 28763 inside.
Metal blade boxes with match striker
5 unused blades Made in Canada no 119 which makes the blades made 1911 19th week.
Bought from ebay seller in the South East of the UK
No G in D marks

Razor 3 in metal case

Serial no H014279 stamped on the inside of the guard plate
all other details same as the razor above in metal case
No blades in the blade boxes though.
This is only 43 numbers different to Razor 2 !! probably made the same week.
Bought from a member of a UK shaving forum living in Cambridgeshire UK

Anything I missed off please ask. Could these be added to the wiki as well please George.

Last edited:
Hi Hobgoblin,

Thanks for the data on your Single Ring. Can you tell me, or post a photo, please, what is inside and underneath the box in the way of markings and logos, and whether there were any blade boxes included.

There is much conjecture and little evidence on this subject, but I have formulated a theory based on deductive reasoning with regard to the evidence that is available. I need to state that my theory is not accepted by others on the forum. My theory regarding your razor is that it was manufacured in the 2nd half of 1908 in the converted Gordon Boot factory which, I believe, was used for manufacture while the extended factory was being built and subsequently opened in early 1909. It is interesting that you British made razor should end up in Canada. Returning WWI soldier perhaps?`

I have entered your data into the Wiki.

Cheers, George

I have another question puzzle for you George :biggrin1: is this relevant to the UK razors ?
I have a Boston made single ring with a British patent number on the outer barrel. On this it says BR.PAT.NO28763of02
Serial No 974709 making it 1907 ? stamped along the inner barrel.
Leather case two tone brown and black with Gillette script logo printed on the inside of the lid
Cardboard outer shipper with matching serial no
2 cardboard blade boxes with blades one full of new blades made in Canada no 129 1911 29th week ?
Thank you for adding my other razors to the wiki :thumbup:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the data. I am impressed. You have 4 outstanding Single Ring sets. I have entered them on the Wiki, so you might care to check that I haven't made any error in their detail.

As I mentioned to Hobgoblin, I have a theory on the history of the European Single Rings which, while much disputed, does seem to fit what evidence is available. IMHO E156644 would have been made in 1909 in the new extended factory at Leicester. My theory regarding the early H series (the ones shown in red on the Wiki) is that they were made in Berlin in 1908/09 in a factory that was under the control of the English Company.

As a forum we have come far since we started gathering data and researching these razors, but what we really lack is hard evidence such as production records. The emails I have sent to Leicester Council, Proctor and Gamble and Leicester historical societies have either been ignored or buck passed. Given your collection and proximity to the source, any detective work that you may be able to pursue would earn the thanks of many of the forum members interested in this subject.

Cheers, George

Yikes Brian. Another near mint Single Ring, with a shipper no less.

There were variations in the stamping of the British patent. That razor is a 1907 made in Boston for the British market. There are also Boston razors with the British patent and A or B prefixes also made for the British market prior to the establishment of the manufacturing facilities at Leicester, and some of these were probably distributed to Europe from Britain. While interesting, these razors do not form part of our study into the history of razors actually produced in Britain, and possibly Europe.

Cheers, George

Thanks for the info George. I suspected the Boston set was outside the study of this thread. Anyway some interesting photo's for members to look at :blushing:

Hi Hobgoblin,

Thanks for the data on your Single Ring. Can you tell me, or post a photo, please, what is inside and underneath the box in the way of markings and logos, and whether there were any blade boxes included.

There is much conjecture and little evidence on this subject, but I have formulated a theory based on deductive reasoning with regard to the evidence that is available. I need to state that my theory is not accepted by others on the forum. My theory regarding your razor is that it was manufacured in the 2nd half of 1908 in the converted Gordon Boot factory which, I believe, was used for manufacture while the extended factory was being built and subsequently opened in early 1909. It is interesting that you British made razor should end up in Canada. Returning WWI soldier perhaps?`

I have entered your data into the Wiki.

Cheers, George

Hi George

The razor came in an old Ce-Be Solingen case so an obvious mismatch ,it came with a blade tuck made in Canada Pat Mar 7 1905 with a number 2418 on the blade.Probably not relevant but kind of cool as the tuck was full and in great shape

Also found a double ring serial #226221 on inner barrel this one was in a Gem case .There are still some great finds in rural Alberta ,I can post some pics of that also if that info is being collected.

Glenn

Hi George

The razor came in an old Ce-Be Solingen case so an obvious mismatch ,it came with a blade tuck made in Canada Pat Mar 7 1905 with a number 2418 on the blade.Probably not relevant but kind of cool as the tuck was full and in great shape

Also found a double ring serial #226221 on inner barrel this one was in a Gem case .There are still some great finds in rural Alberta ,I can post some pics of that also if that info is being collected.

Glenn

The code on the blade is a 1925 code, 48th week.

Congrats on the Double Ring.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,
There is a register of Double Rings on a Wiki found here:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Double_Ring

If you don't feel comfortable entering your double ring into the Wiki, post a purchase date and I'll enter it for you.

Cheers, George

Hi Glenn,
There is a register of Double Rings on a Wiki found here:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Double_Ring

If you don't feel comfortable entering your double ring into the Wiki, post a purchase date and I'll enter it for you.

Cheers, George

Hi George

Thanks for entering the Brit single ring info into Wiki ,I don't have enough posts to enter myself so if you can kindly enter the double ring info for me that would be appreciated.

There are no markings or logo on the double ring except the serial # 266221 on the inner barrel .Found in Red Deer Alberta Dec 2014

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Hi George

Thanks for entering the Brit single ring info into Wiki ,I don't have enough posts to enter myself so if you can kindly enter the double ring info for me that would be appreciated.

There are no markings or logo on the double ring except the serial # 266221 on the inner barrel .Found in Red Deer Alberta Dec 2014

Hi Glenn,

I have added your double ring to the Wiki. That is a really nice piece of history.

Cheers, George

$1918 (2).jpg$1918.jpg

I wish to include this Single Ring in the listing of British Gillettes. It is a beautiful #466 set, in an almost mint (but not politically correct) seal skin case. The razor is crisp, clean, and absolutely original.... It is serial no. E92026.
It just arrived from Spain, and took forever to arrive. I found it on EBay, and not only was the razor a great find, the seller was one of the nicest people I have encountered on E-bay.

I will update with pictures that I have taken, when I am home. These are from the auction listing.

Bob
Dragonmaster

Thanks for posting, Bob.

Your razor is the second lowest of the E series we've seen so far. Forgot to tell you via PM, but your set is probably an early one, 1909-'10 most likely.

Once again, congrats. [emoji106]

EDIT: Is there any patent info printed on the bottom of the case?

Last edited:
The bottom of the case is plain seal skin, matching the rest of the case.
The only patent information "PAT NOV.15.04N" is found on the bottom
of the handle above the knob, as on U.S. razors.

Thank you,
Bob
Dragonmaster

Top Bottom