What's new

What is your heritage?

Ethnic American.

My father's side was founded by a man named Thomas. He was part of the Jamestown colony, survived the starving times, and took a Powhatan squaw for his wife in 1619. Their grand (or great) daughter married Daniel Boone.

My mother's family came over from England on the ship Mary & John. They were part of a flotilla of 17 ships that landed and founded Boston in 1630.

My earliest direct ancestor I can name was Osgod Clapa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgod_Clapa
I still carry his name 1000 years later.

Scots, Irish, Scotch-Irish, Welsh, Alsatian, Pa Dutch, Cornplanter Senaca, English... I'm a mutt. I've got parts of my family tree back to the late 1600s.

About as British as you can get for an American these days. My mother's side goes back through Elder Brewster of the Mayflower to King Edward I (think Longshanks in the movie Braveheart). My grandfather on my father's side traced his lineage back to an Earl of Whytemere (not certain of the spelling or the date). Mostly Puritan stock, burn the witches, I say.

100% Italian American (1st Generation). Mix of Rome, Naples and Abruzzo regions. However my wife has ancestors traced back to the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

Last edited:
I had my DNA tested. It says I am really white bread...99.9% Westen European (29% Irish/English). .01% Native American/Southern Asian.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ethnic American.

My father's side was founded by a man named Thomas. He was part of the Jamestown colony, survived the starving times, and took a Powhatan squaw for his wife in 1619. Their grand (or great) daughter married Daniel Boone.

My mother's family came over from England on the ship Mary & John. They were part of a flotilla of 17 ships that landed and founded Boston in 1630.

My earliest direct ancestor I can name was Osgod Clapa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgod_Clapa
I still carry his name 1000 years later.

Whoa! That's very cool.

I had my DNA tested. It says I am really white bread...99.9% Westen European (29% Irish/English). .01% Native American/Southern Asian.
How'd you get your DNA tested?
Scots Irish - Just submitted a DNA test to Family Tree DNA to map my lineage
Same question

Swedish/english on my fathers side and Welsh/Polish or Ukrainian on my mothers side, my mothers grandfather stated that he was from Austria but at the time of his emigration to Canada (1890's-1900's) Austria covered a big swath of central Europe, which covered parts of modern day Poland and Ukraine, so it has been very hard to pinpoint where he came from

My Mom has a family tree that dates back to the 1700's in Schenectady NY, it could go back to England and even earlier, but she decided that she had gone far enough because it was getting more and more difficult to find information and the family tree she composed is huge, and includes 100's of my family and starts with me and my brother! really cool but really hard to follow because it branches out so far

Well, heritage is a lot about what you feel and what stories you have that explain you.

My family has lived in the same part of Yorkshire for centuries. My great-uncle was able to point out the route taken by "William the Foreigner" when he came to lay waste to the district in 1068, and Uncle Jack was still bitter about it 930 years later. I don't know how accurate he was in his history, but he was certainly a Yorkshireman.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
German and Panamanian roots for me. My dad's side married solely German or PA Dutch. My mom's side comes from the Canary Islands originally, then moved to Holland, then to Curacao and finally to Panama. My great grand-father helped to build the Panama Canal.

Father is half black and Native American and my mother was born in Germany and is half German and Irish.
Both grandparents were military, my dad's father served in some sort of Native American division in army rangers or something along those lines.
Great great grandfather is buried in Arlington cemetery and was a buffalo soldier.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
National geographic, Ancestry.com, and a few other outfits will run your DNA for $100-$200 bucks.

I'm going to name my next dog, Osgod.
did not know this! Do you think one is better than the other or they probably use the same laboratory?

Sounds like a great name to me!

Top Bottom