What's new

Nib Acquisitions for April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396478888.753826.jpg. I know it's only a pilot varsity but I still like it.

That's a beautiful pen...congratulations!

Since the section is already pulled, the most difficult part is already done. The rest should be pretty simple. Pen Repair Guru Richard Binder has a detailed step-by-step process for replacing a sac on his Web site. Look it over and come back here if you have any specific questions.

http://www.richardspens.com/?refp=re...ac_replacement

Thanks! I actually tried to unscrew the section and realized afterwards that it was a slip-fit.

Is there anything I should do about the ratty part of the section that is inside the pen normally? Should I polish the clip with some Maas or Flitz?

Thanks! I actually tried to unscrew the section and realized afterwards that it was a slip-fit.

Is there anything I should do about the ratty part of the section that is inside the pen normally? Should I polish the clip with some Maas or Flitz?
The nipple (the part of the section that the sac is glued to) needs to be cleaned of any of the old sac remains or shellac so the new sac will glue properly. I use a little pen knife blade to scrape off any chunks and then give it a final cleaning with a fine sandpaper to expose a clean surface. Maas or Flitz is fine for polishing any metal parts...just be aware that they're abrasive and excessive polishing can remove any plating that might still be there. I usually shine up the pen body and cap with Meguiar's Plast-X polish. If there's a lot of deeper scratches, you can use progressively finer wet/dry sandpapers, but be careful you don't sand away any imprints or markings. I generally just shine it up and ignore the scratches.

Bonus points are always welcomed! Sheaffers and the Sheaffer sub-brands have become a bit of a specialty with me. I didn't really start out to intentionally collect them, but it just kind of happened.

Snargle!! Nice catch!

I have the statesman and it's a great great pen. It's my daily driver, with a sheaffer 440 riding shotgun, which has also been fun to use.

How do these things stack up against real 51s?

They are a real "51"... Aero filler, feed, collector, 14k nib.... all from the stock of Parker Argentina. the Clip and jewel are NOS as well. The barrel, Hood and cap are made new .

They are a real "51"... Aero filler, feed, collector, 14k nib.... all from the stock of Parker Argentina. the Clip and jewel are NOS as well. The barrel, Hood and cap are made new .
Not a bad way to save a cracked pen, although Im sure a few "Healthy" 51's may have been lost along the way, but I have seem some really nice redone ones out there, I was shocked to see you with one, would have guessed you the type to scoff at something like this

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not a bad way to save a cracked pen, although Im sure a few "Healthy" 51's may have been lost along the way, but I have seem some really nice redone ones out there, I was shocked to see you with one, would have guessed you the type to scoff at something like this

I got an email from Kullock a couple days ago, he's looking to buy any "51" pens, junkers, lots, good ones - anything. Donor pens? :sad:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks. They intrigued me, but I wasn't sure.
Well he cant have mine, thats for sure. At least he didnt ask for your Pelikans Doug
he can have mine when he pries it from my cold dead fingers :biggrin:

Pelikan M400 EF nib and the "Student" nib smoothing kit from Richard Binder.

Also - Parker Vacumatic Major, blue, F nib. Because I stopped dead in my tracks when I found it online.

Last edited:
$IMG_5884.jpg$IMG_5885.jpg

Quick thoughts -

$20 for the pen. A pretty good deal in my humble opinion.

A very nice, synthetic leather box that feels like leather and is lined with a soft, textured cotton. Has a scent of . . . something pleasant.

The pen is finished well. I found no rough areas or shoddy workmanship, except that when you unscrew the body from the neck it is indeed a sloppy fit. It does tighten down completely and well. I think the "Duke" and "Ruby" words on a band at the bottom of the cap are somewhat ostentatious, but then the pen itself looks a bit ostentatious. :001_tongu

The cap snaps on and off, and has a weird and quite pleasant "soft touch". When you snap the cap on, there's a bit of slowing right before it clicks securely. It feels pretty cool, to be honest, and I capped and uncapped the pen a few times for fun.

The converter is a "screw" converter, which works as expected.

The nib looks fine to me, but to be honest I am relatively unfamiliar with grading nibs. It may have that annoying issue shared with the Pilot Metro in that the ink isn't as "thick" as my Goulet/Knox nibs, and so the ink looks lighter than I prefer. If it isn't the Asa-Gao, I wonder if it's an Asian nib characteristic. I have no idea if the nib is removeable or not, or what size it is.

All in all, a nice pen for $20 and a worthy contender to a Pilot Metro (which, to me, says a lot). The jury is still out on the color/intensity/density of ink being laid down.

So this is technically not a pen purchase but it was purchased to use on my Car and my pens....so I'm excited and I'm posting it :p
This is CQUARTZ UK edition and it is a ceramic nano coating for car paint.

Why do you care??? Well I bought a Monte Verde Intima last month and it is awesome but the paint on the chrome bits is starting to chip off. So after I got done working on my car I coated the black portions...now I just have to wait and see how well it will hold up to everyday use. No pics as you cant see a difference, just a slight tactile one.
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
it can be used on metal but some folks may not like the fell of it. vs bare metal. It might be cool to do one half and half just to see how well the product holds up over time. I might put it on my next jin hao to see if it helps reduce the cap induced barrel wear.

I didnt get this in April but In march my wife got me a Rotring rapid pro ball point, absolutely amazing pen, i also had their 0.7 pencil it's great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom