What's new

My Kit, My Thoughts

So, I've been wetshaving with a DE razor for about a week or so, and so far I have acquired the following products. Here's a list, and my thoughts on each one. These appear to be rather common products, so I won't provide pics unless there is interest.

1. Latte Mug: I got this for $3 at Target. It's plain white, but it works great for whipping up lather and keeping it warm in the sink. I don't think I need a dedicated shaving bowl, this thing works great and if I break it, I'm only out $3. It holds the brush I currently use and the razor I currently use when not in use, as well.
  2. Gillette Superspeed Red Tip: Got this as a PIF on this forum. It's my preferred razor. It's not terribly aggressive for me (although it does result in some irritation on the bottom of my jaw). Easy to use, and works great. I do need to thoroughly clean it, though. It was sanitized before I got it, but I want to clean it thoroughly just the same.
  3. Meishi(?) Razor: Got this during the promotion from Shavingfactory.com. This is what got me started. I've only used it once (it came in the same day as my red tip, so I can't really say much about it except it takes longer to reduce your beard with this job. Although, it doesn't irritate the bottom of my jaw like the red tip does.
  4. Derby Blades: The only blades I've used so far. Seem to work well, though I've only been getting 2-3 shaves before they start pulling. Is that par for the course?
  5. Body Shop Synthetic Brush: Excellent brush. Contrary to popular belief, I've had no problems making lather with this (I just don't get quite as much lather as I would with my Badger Brush, but a good amount of it is unused and poured down the sink anyway). It's cheap, works well, and doesn't stink like new animal brushes do. Also a plus if you're a vegan.
  6. CO Bigelow's Pure Badger Brush: Another excellent brush. This was a b-day gift (3/5/88!! Whoo!) from my lady friend, and I've only used it once, but so far I am liking it. It shed quite a lot the first time, however. I probably lost 3-4 hairs.
  7. CO Bigelow's Proraso re-issue: I've used this once, but so far I am loving it. This was another b-day gift from my lady friend (she is so supportive of all my eccentricities) I love the scent, the cooling sensation, and the price. $10 for that tube is not bad at all. This will probably be my go-to cream. No wonder it's so praised around here...
  8. C&E Sweet Almond Oil Cream: I've used this every other time, and I love it as well. It's an excellent cream, it smells great, lathers well, and doesn't irritate at all. It's a tad more expensive than the Proraso ($15 for a smaller tube), but still not a bad price. It's very close between the C&E and the Proraso for my go-to cream.
  9. Williams Mug Soap: Haven't used this, bought it because it was 75 cents on sale at my local wal-mart, and wasn't sure how long it would be around. I don't know if or when I'll use it. Something about shaving with soap irks me, though I'm not sure why.

There it is....and I am hooked! I think I've started with a very good smattering of products. Are there any other generally available products (as in, available in many stores) that I have to try? I never knew shaving could be this fun....not to mention addictive!!!

Nice kit... and yes... I am begining to see the addictiveness for shaving... maybe in a few years I'll brave the straight razor?

There's no way I would try a straight razor. Those things scare me just looking at them. A DE gives me a great shave. I don't like the thought of having to maintain the blade, either. Stropping and honing every few days/weeks just seems overly laborious.

There's no way I would try a straight razor. Those things scare me just looking at them. A DE gives me a great shave. I don't like the thought of having to maintain the blade, either. Stropping and honing every few days/weeks just seems overly laborious.

I once thought the same way. 10+ straight razors later I am fasincated by perfecting the blade via honing and stropping. PLUS, another way to fuel my AD. :biggrin:

Top Bottom