What's new

Leather or balsa for pastes?

I'm trying to decide between balsa and leather paddles for pastes. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on pros/cons of each. Also saw somewhere about using cast iron for honing with pastes, any opinions or experiences?

I use balsa for crox & diamond sprays. It works great and I don't have to commit an expensive leather strop to be pasted forever. I still use very nice leather strops, but after the balsa. YMMV

I'm trying to decide between balsa and leather paddles for pastes. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on pros/cons of each. Also saw somewhere about using cast iron for honing with pastes, any opinions or experiences?

I believe leather will convex the edge more than balsa, which is fine if you maintain the edge with the pasted leather.
I found balsa worked well for Crox, but not for diamond - I found it slow and produced a harsh edge. I prefer a supple leather.
Linen/fabric is another option. You can try a cheap woven belt, or a strip of denim from an old pair of jeans.

I tryed balsa linen leather strop paddles etc, balsa with crox is very effective but can lead to slight crisp edge where as leather strop does,nt, I,d go with balsa and less strokes and you won't go wrong.

gary

Went with balsa when the .25 powder got here. (see my other thread - Making Paste)
LOTS of draw, but seems to sharpen well. I have some 2" cotton belting, since I'm not too happy with the way belting works on a paddle, I may try a hanging strop too.

Top Bottom