What's new

Famex S.O.S (pun intended)

You know how it is. You're cruising the 'Bay, your impulse control is somewhat dampened by one sort of nectar or other, and you see something unusual. Next thing you know, you're opening a package with this French frankenrazor in it.
$P1020636.jpg$P1020631.jpg$P1020632.jpg

The baseplate, if it can be called that, was made by Famex. The top cap, which has long posts that poke all the way through the baseplate, has "S.O.S" stamped into it. Unfortunately, the cap has an extra feature: someone has crammed a thin OC baseplate on to it, so it now has teeth. It turns out the blade won't cut anything if your cap has teeth. I have not been able to separate the cap from the extra baseplate - they are stuck tightly together.
Undeterred, I used a cap from a British 7 O'Clock, loaded it with a Polsilver SI, spent about 5 minutes aligning everything, and went to town. Nice shave, comparable to a Cadet OC, but with an annoying tendency to grab and bite without warning.
Here is what it looks like:
$P1020633.jpg
$P1020634.jpg
Here are my questions:
1) How can I get the extra baseplate off? I don't care if I destroy it.
2) Is the baseplate upside down in that last picture? Is it reversible?
3) Is the S.O.S cap original? Does it go with a Famex razor?

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the last picture shouldn't the baseplate be the other way? Looks like it's upside-down to me. The top cap seems to have the extra posts for the holes in the baseplate...Yes? No? Enlighten me!

I did a search on Google images and I found one picture from some guy's photobucket page (didn't know if I was allowed to post the link here) and from that one, you do have the baseplate upside down. Another thing is none of the ones Ive seen have the SOS top cap so i think it's a FrankenRazor. Hence the double baseplate. Let me know if I can post the link and I will

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know if there is a problem posting a picture that is freely available on the interwebs unless it is marked as copyrighted or otherwise protected.
As for the upside down baseplate, I have seen pictures of it both ways. I had to put it that way to make the 7 O'Clock top cap work. I really don't know which way it is supposed to be.

I will admit that most pictures of the baseplate show it with the three holes up, but I have also seen it the other way. This one is posted on another B&B thread.
proxy.php

Well, I think I can safely say that the top cap is not original. Try to find a top cap that doesn't have a built-in baseplate. Who knows...you might have a jewel in the rough there!

I also think holes of baseplate should be up. That's why you spent so much time to align. try it like that

Hammer and chisel?

OK, so, believe it or not, I had not tried that. Then I did. I had to bend it first, but then I managed to pry it off. So, whether it is original or not, now I have a top cap that fits the baseplate.

OK, so, believe it or not, I had not tried that. Then I did. I had to bend it first, but then I managed to pry it off. So, whether it is original or not, now I have a top cap that fits the baseplate.

I'm an IT guy by trade, so hitting things with a hammer is usually one of the first things I try. :lol:

Thanks, Alex. I guess the cap is not original. My cap does have very long studs, though, so it fits the baseplate (now that the extra OC baseplate is gone).
I'm planning on shaving with it today and then flipping the baseplate tomorrow.

I followed through with my plan to shave with the Famex with the baseplate in both positions. So, for all of the people who opined that the three holes go up (which was everyone who expressed an opinion), you were correct. When the baseplate is flipped upside down, the razor becomes slightly more aggressive, but it is nearly impossible to align the blade correctly. As a result, I ended up with my worst case of neck irritation in more than 6 months.
My best shave of all was the first one when I used a 7 O'Clock top cap with an upside down baseplate. Nonetheless, I probably will not replicate that experiment.
I'm still not 100% convinced that Famex did not intend for its baseplate to be flipped (one side medium/mild and the other side medium/aggressive). If anyone knows for sure, please weigh in.

As for the correct baseplate positioning, I believe the way you have it in the last pic is the correct way - the holes should be facing down. The similar Le Coq razor is assembled in the opposite manner with the holes facing upwards. When assembled in this manner the makers' marks for both razors are visible. Never really thought about the idea of "flipping" to change aggression.

edited: My mistake, the one I bought didn't have SOS on the cap after all. I guess my memory isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the information. The cap does seem to fit perfectly. The confusion over how to place the baseplate comes from the fact that I have seen pictures of it both ways. And it fits both ways. However, the blade alignment works much better with the 3 holes up.

I was hoping alex would post those Compendium pics of the Famex razors. Thanks! I can't wait till my Le Coq arrives. It should be here very soon.

Alex's pictures of the Famex prove my point that there are pictures of it with the baseplate both ways. BTW, thanks, Alex, for those pics.
I think the similarity to the Le Coq is skin deep. I have a Le Coq, and it is a very different tool.
The French razor, Bohin, has a reversible baseplate, so I think it is possible the Famex baseplate is also reversible.

Top Bottom