What's new

Advice on Replacing the Merkur 38C

I am trading away my Merkur 38C.

I want to get a Merkur that's not quite as hefty as the 38C. I am trying to decide between the regular HD 34C, and the long handle 23C. I am thinking the other Merkurs are too light.

Any thoughts??

I too am thinking of moving on from a 38C, but it's not because I want another Merkur. I keep drooling over the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth razors. I'm thinking of an ebony or ivory, both 60 grams on their site, which would place it about halfway between the Merkur Classic and the Merkur HD in terms of weight. Then there's the all metal Chatsworth, that's just as heavy as the 38C. Will the pursuit of a better razor never end?

Back to Merkurs, according to emsplace.com, the long handle classic is 1.9 oz, only .2 oz heavier than the Classic. If the other Merkurs are too light and the 38c is too heavy, sounds like you better just go for the HD. You can see the stats at http://emsplace.com/shaving/razor_information.aspx#progress

On the other hand, you could also go for a Progress. It's a little lighter than the 38C, plus it's adjustable. I just got my 38C a week ago, and it's one big piece of metal. I was surprised when I first took it out of the box. I knew it was big, but still didn't know what to expect. But, it does look great hanging on my chrome brush and razor stand.

I too am thinking of moving on from a 38C, but it's not because I want another Merkur. I keep drooling over the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth razors. I'm thinking of an ebony or ivory, both 60 grams on their site, which would place it about halfway between the Merkur Classic and the Merkur HD in terms of weight. Then there's the all metal Chatsworth, that's just as heavy as the 38C. Will the pursuit of a better razor never end?

Hmm - do they make one of those with an olive wood handle? I have an olive wood brush. I know Muehle makes an olive wood DE razor with a Merkur head.

On the other hand, you could also go for a Progress. It's a little lighter than the 38C, plus it's adjustable. I just got my 38C a week ago, and it's one big piece of metal. I was surprised when I first took it out of the box. I knew it was big, but still didn't know what to expect. But, it does look great hanging on my chrome brush and razor stand.

I have heard bad things about fit and finish on the progress and Merkurs in general. Not too big a deal for a fixed head razor - but for an adjustable - I want something that is precise. Actually - I think the Gillette slim adjustable fills that role well. I have one and like it. I have a Fatboy on the way, a Feather Portable on the way, and I have a ball tech.

With all of these Gillettes - probably don't need to replace the 38C:biggrin:

Hmm - do they make one of those with an olive wood handle? I have an olive wood brush. I know Muehle makes an olive wood DE razor with a Merkur head.

I was browsing through www.theenglishshavingcompany.com, which is Edwin Jagger's official site for selling their products. They have an olive handle Mach 3 razor, but I didn't see a DE with a wood handle. The olive wood Mach 3 is on clearance, so it might not be there much longer either.

You could probably get Shavemac to make a custom handle with matching wood. They use a merkur head which is what the EJ Chatsworth is.

Top Bottom