What's new

Fasan Double Slant

Guys-

I just received a really cool slant razor. Its a Fasan Double Slant, open comb, in clear plastic! Got it on the 'bay for a great deal, as there is a minor crack in the top cap. The crack doesn't affect the shave at all. It arrived yesterday, and I shaved with it this morning.

Loaded a new SuperMax Super Platinum, whipped up some Tabac, and had a tremendous shave. With two days growth, I got a BBS on my face, DFS on my neck with two passes and some touch up. As you would expect, it is very light weight but there is a lot of blade exposure. The blade gap doesnt look to be much. The top cap has a very domed profile. Anyway, I think it is more aggressive than the Merker 37C, equal to my Lutz slant on its more open side, but smoother.

Anyone have any info on when this might have been made? The seller indicated it was issued to German troops in WWII. I've never seen one like it.

I'm not sure if that is the same item, mine was titled- Rare WWII German Soldiers Fasan Double Slant.

Shaved with it again today, got the same great results as yesterday. :)

Hi,

I use a newer variant with the metal top cap daily. They are great shavers. So much so, I passed on most of my other razors, including a generic Solingen slant (just like your Lutz, but had no name on it anywhere).

I saw that one on eBay, but also did not see any of the markings that would indicate it was made during the Third Reich, much less for one of the services. Then, the cracks bothered me, and since I have a.Doppleschrag already, I passed it up.

I am glad to hear that the cracks are not bad. :)

Stan

It is my understanding that Fasan was one of the very few German manufacturers that survived WWII (relatively unscathed). Rotbart survived two world wars, and it makes more sense that they would have won the bidding on any government contracts. On second thought, maybe razors were provided by several manufacturers.

Last edited:
Hi,

I use a newer variant with the metal top cap daily. They are great shavers. So much so, I passed on most of my other razors, including a generic Solingen slant (just like your Lutz, but had no name on it anywhere).

I saw that one on eBay, but also did not see any of the markings that would indicate it was made during the Third Reich, much less for one of the services. Then, the cracks bothered me, and since I have a.Doppleschrag already, I passed it up.

I am glad to hear that the cracks are not bad. :)

Stan

Yeah, I figured for $17 delivered, it was worth a chance. I only hope it holds up long term, cause I plan to use it alot. :)

Hi,

Well, the useage calls for a very light touch and short strokes, so it probably will hold up. One question, the later doppleschrags have differential aggressiveness, does that one? The ones I have indicate the aggressive side with a red dot on one corner of the cap. Now, the red looks to be gone, if it was ever there, but the indented circle on one corner of the cap would still remain.

Of course, the differential aggressiveness may have been a post war idea, where they mimicked the other Solingen made slants which offered such a feature.

Stan

No, both sides shave exactly the same.

The best thing about it is that I can go competely ATG on my neck, and get ZERO irrition or weepers. :) Just a wonderful BBS shave.

I've been wetshaving since late in 2012, and have never been able to do that. WHoo Hoo!!!

proxy.php

This passage of the patent explains the reason behind the use of transparent material. On most blades back then the sides were marked (1,2 or A,B etc.) - the use of transparent material allowed the user to see which side he is using without the need of removing the blade cap first.

Quaternion- Wow thanks so much for the research..... Now if I only read German....

Very interesting about the clear plastic.

I have one in a light colored Bakelite, almost white but not quite. I haven't shaved with it yet, but I may tomorrow. I need to figure out how to align the blade just right so the exposure is straight. Looking forward to trying it though. Good to hear your experience is so positive. It's inspiring me.

proxy.php

This passage of the patent explains the reason behind the use of transparent material. On most blades back then the sides were marked (1,2 or A,B etc.) - the use of transparent material allowed the user to see which side he is using without the need of removing the blade cap first.

Hi,

Well, I know some German, having worked with German design groups, and so have attempted the translation myself. One can't just stuff this into Google Translate because technical writing uses odd definitions of words. If you use Google, you will get really confused. I translated as best I can, then stuck my two cents in parens as to what I think it really means.

The employment of a highly transparent, crystal clear building material for razors has tangent with razor a special meaning.

Most razor carries Designation, which are to facilitate the change of the blade side. (must be referring to markings on the razor blade)

So for example the marked sides are with numbers of 1 and 2 or provided with letters A and B with some razor-blades, or the four cuts, two on and two on the other blade side, are provided with numbers of 1 to 4, or blade become (text ends here)

As far as the reference to blade markings, my later Fasan Double Slant has, in the instructions, the direction to shave with the blade marking of (1) aligned with the Red Dot on the cap, then after a few shaves, flip the blade over so the blade marking of (3) is aligned with the Red Dot. Additionally, the Red Dot indicates the more aggressive of the two sides. The instructions are to shave with the aggressive side over a patch, then flip over to the mild side and go back over the same patch, then rinse.

I think this was a standard design point for Fasan Doppleschrag razors, and the same information I see in my instruction booklet would have made it into their patent applications. The above translation seems to be leading in that direction, anyway. ;)

By using a transparent material, one can readily see which side of the blade is in use. You know, the old CRS. As in for the 'Did I flip that blade yesterday or not?' type of situation. :p

Stan

Edit:

CRS stands for Can't Remember......Something! ;)

Hi,

I had copied the text of the instruction sheet for my Fasan Doppleschrag into the BOSS thread some time ago. Rather than try to find that post and link to it here, I will just stick it in directly:

-----------------------------------------------

So, here is the original German text:

Fasan Doppelschrag

Der FASAN - Rasierapparat Doppelschrag ermoglicht dursch die patentierte Krummung seines Deckels eine doppelschrag Lage der Rasierklinge: sie erlaubt daher den Vorzug des ziehenden Schnittes und schaltetdie die Gefahr des Reissens und Verletzens aus.

Jeder FASAN - Doppelschrag tragt den (red dot) Wendepunkt zur Kennzeichnung der Klingenschneide. Der (red dot) Wendepunkt gestattet die zuverlassige Unterscheidung zwischen der Vor- und Nach- Rasur und ermoglicht zudem den taglichen Wechsel der jeder Raiserklinge eigenen 4 Klingenschneiden.

Gebrauchsanweisung

Bitte die Fasan - Durascharf so in den FASAN - Doppelschrag einlegen, dass Schneide 1 mit (red dot) Wendepunktubereinstimmt.

Die nunmehr leicht erkennbare Schneide 2 der Nach-Rasur.

Fur das folgende Rasieren Schneide 3 zum (red dot) Wendepunkt legen; Schneide 3 zur Nach-Rasur benutzen.

Fur das nachste Rasieren beginnt die Benutzungsfolge von vorn!

-----------------------------------------------

Pheasant double oblique

PHEASANT - double shaving oblique allows patented curvature of its cover a double-oblique position of the razor blade: it therefore allowes the privilege of pulling cut and reducing the risk of tearing and hurting from it.

Each PHEASANT - Double oblique wearing the (red dot) turning point for the identification of the cutting blade. The (red dot) turning point allows reliable distinction between the pre-and post-shave and also allows the daily change of each razor 4 cutting blade (this must mean the edges)

instructions

Please pheasant - Durascharf as in the PHEASANT - Insert double oblique that cutting with 1 (red dot) about complies turning point. (this means align the 1 on the blade with the red dot)

The now easily recognizable edge 2 of the after-shave. (by this, flip the razor over and shave again)

For the following 3 shaving blade for (red dot) lay turning point, use cutting 3 for After-shave. (flip blade over to align the 3 on the blade with the red dot)

The next available start shaving using sequence from front! (meaning shave with the red dot side, then the flip side)

----------------

Now, these later Fasan Double Slants have a red dot on the top cap, which is the more aggressive side. As best as I can follow the instructions, they were into shaving with the aggressive side, then the mild side. They also aligned the number 1 on the blade with the red dot, and later the number 3. It does not say how long to use a blade before flipping it, though. I suppose it was YMMV then as it is now....

Anyway, more info just for the fun of it.....

Stan

I love the Fasan razors. And agree that the slants are among the best. Enjoy and keep the collection growing!

Well, I know some German, having worked with German design groups, and so have attempted the translation myself. One can't just stuff this into Google Translate because technical writing uses odd definitions of words. If you use Google, you will get really confused.

I am German and you are absolutely right about Google Translate, for some tasks it's not very helpful.

The best thing about it is that I can go competely ATG on my neck, and get ZERO irrition or weepers. :) Just a wonderful BBS shave.

I've been wetshaving since late in 2012, and have never been able to do that. WHoo Hoo!!!

I love the Fasan razors. And agree that the slants are among the best. Enjoy and keep the collection growing!

I haven't tried a Fasan yet, but that sounds nice! And Jake, you tried so many different razors - interesting to hear that slant razors are among the best.

Top Bottom